View Full Version : I cant spell worth sh*t

Blueranne
11-29-11, 04:12 AM
I like to write. I love to read. I enjoy going to school because I simply enjoy learning. But, I *****ing loath spelling. I cant do it. I cant remember all of the rules I was supposed to have learned in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade.

You want to know how long it takes me write my responses on threads? It takes a freakin long time. I have my computers dictionary open all the time so I can check the spelling of my words. Some times though, the dictionary doesnt understand what Im trying to spell so I have to play around with the vowels until the correct spelling pops up, either that or I have to completely reword my sentence, for example: the word "vowel" that I just used, first I spelled it voules, then vowles, then I finally spelled it right and the dictionary confirmed it. If Im not certain that its spelled right then I have to check it, some times up to 3 or 4 words per sentence and still even then you will find errors.

Its so emarassing! What 30 year old adult mixes up "quit", "quiet" and "quite", or "loss", "lose" and "loose", or "choose" and "chose", ,? Or how about messing up on all words ending in "able" and "ible"? I could go on and on. The funny thing is that Im better at spelling the bigger word than the small ones, go figure!

So whatever, Im just venting because finals are comming up and Im busting my butt (<-- thats another one, 2 "T"s !!! :o ) to cover up this dyslexia or whatever it is and Im getting way stressed out. Next semester I am going to see about getting some accommadations, but for right now, at least here on the forums, Im going to say scr*w it! Im going to start writing my post the way I would spell if I were hand writing them and you all will just have to bare with me. Just sound out my words phonetically. Thanks for your understanding and patients!

(it took me over twenty minutes to write this post, if you are curious)

emploding
11-29-11, 04:22 AM
What browser do you use? I use firefox and it has a built-in dictionary so like when using Word, it puts a red squiggle under misspelt words and gives you suggestions for the correct word. It's my lifesaver.

BR549
11-29-11, 04:22 AM
No worries, Blue. My husband can't spell worth a darn. He has two college degrees and has to write every day. Also, I should note that his writing MUST be perfect. Spelling, grammar, punctuation--the whole bit. There are no exceptions in his case. Yes, he uses the computer and spell check and grammar check are his bff's. It's still a slow process for him though. He does try to remember how to spell things, he just doesn't retain that info for some reason.

I will say that my iMac (unlike my MacBook) has a built in dictionary that changes misspelled words automatically. Initially, my husband thought it was great, until it started changing the words it didn't recognize to other words :o It will correct mistakes where ever I type-Word, the internet, Facebook. Even here on the forums. It may be a feature of Lion, though. I can't remember, since I only had the iMac a week before I upgraded to Lion.

There are a lot of adults that aren't able to spell or remember the rules for spelling. You shouldn't be embarrassed. It's really not as uncommon as you think :)

Blueranne
11-29-11, 04:26 AM
What browser do you use? I use firefox and it has a built-in dictionary so like when using Word, it puts a red squiggle under misspelt words and gives you suggestions for the correct word. It's my lifesaver.

Its a long story, but in order to have internet access I have to run parallels on my mac and use a really really old version of windows and explorer, otherwise I would normaly use safari. :(

sighduck
11-29-11, 06:57 AM
i still end up with simple words spelt wrong in my university assignments, and that is WITH spell check

Slapstick
11-29-11, 09:17 AM
When typing or writing on paper, I can usually spell out most words, but off the top of my head and having to recite big words? Forget about it.

My boss who I share an office with is too lazy to use check dictionary.com or Google, and is always asking me how to spell words and I always have to use Dictionary.com because I can't recite spelling words off the top of my head.

Whenever someone tries to prove a point to me that involves math and they do it in their head real quick, I usually nod my head yes, hoping upon all hopes that they will just move on instead of asking me to continue or for clarification.

namazu
11-29-11, 12:51 PM
Some of my most brilliant friends can't spell, either. (At least one of them can't rhyme, either.)

Next semester I am going to see about getting some accommadations, but for right now, at least here on the forums, Im going to say scr*w it! Im going to start writing my post the way I would spell if I were hand writing them and you all will just have to bare with me. Just sound out my words phonetically. Thanks for your understanding and patients!
Go get 'em, cowgirl! :D Fortunately, there are no grades on the forum, much less grades from people who are sticklers about spelling. :cool:

For school, definitely look into accommodations, and also try to get someone to proofread your papers to catch any errors that spell-check doesn't. (Heck, I'll do it with enough notice...)

I am a very slow reader and writer -- not dyslexic, but I have a different LD that messes with the processes. So I sympathize! My posts -- even the non-epic-length ones -- take me forever to write.

peripatetic
11-29-11, 01:33 PM
i hear you, blue. my problem is that i can spell in my head--remarkably well...but i can't get the letters in the proper order, or rather, determine whether they are, once written. it depends on the typeface, but in this one, for example, the a and e are particularly tough. i also don't have handwriting. i mean that literally:o bit tangential, that, so i'll move along...

i agree with n; post as you will :D i'm sure you've seen plenty of mine that just look ******. nice to have some company:p seriously relate to length of time to post, too. again, you can probably pick out which posts were made devoid of any correction and shot off straight away (which is ...i don't want to say the "bulk"...but a good percentage, i suppose) and which ones i put loads of effort into being careful. i can type fast as hell. if i don't just hit submit and try to go back over it, however, i used to "time out" all of the time (where i'd've been appearing idle for so long that i was automatically logged out--KILLED me in private messages...would end up sending a one liner saying "**** this; may try again later"). i also will end up posting and having taken so long to compose that five others have posted while i've been working on one response.

on a different note: i had accommodations throughout school. let me know if you have questions and i may have useful info given profession, etc.

EDIT: one other thing i just realized is related for me: you might've noticed i don't employ uppercase letters very often. ever wonder why? i'll tell you;) i'm ****e with remembering the rules for such and they're usually more difficult for me to read. so...yeah...good thing we're not graded here:eek:

namazu
11-29-11, 02:09 PM
it depends on the typeface, but in this one, for example, the a and e are particularly tough.
Sorry to prolong the tangent, and Blueranne, if you mind, I can take this elsewhere, ;) but...what fonts do you use/prefer?

I'm on the lookout for fonts that are easier to read, where the letters are more immediately distinguishable.

I came across a font called "dyslexie" that was created by a dyslexic dude from the Netherlands as part of a design project, with legibility in mind (http://www.studiostudio.nl/project-dyslexie/), and it looked cool, but it turned out you had to pay a lot of money to download it (~70 Euro for individual use!), so I ended up not getting it.

Oh, and tangent to the tangent...he also advises against the Wall O' Text (http://www.studiostudio.nl/tekst-opmaak/)!

peripatetic
11-29-11, 02:32 PM
your question is a good one, n, though it shows the flaw in my example. ineed to look at your link, but there are NO generally acceptable fonts that entirely remove the ambiguity of a vs e for me. a better example would've been that some remove g b d p q ambiguity or at least minimize it. in my own writing i typically use what are called "serif fonts"; esp hightower text and footlight mt light. sadly, i find the fact that those are usually easier for me an oddity given anything frilly--from much that's italicized to full on calligraphy--basically illegible.

EDIT: watched video. wow! he's right. that really *does* solve certain issues more than i'd've imagined. that font still doesn't get at the a/e issue, but if memory serves i've been told that's not a common one anyway. which also reminds me that i should note though i'm *technically* diagnosed dyslexic, that's sorta by default. when i first was assessed over thirty years ago (this is not the sort of thing that could possibly go unnoticed ...it's beyond "poor penmanship"--i learned to use a typewriter at an early age. a very early age) either dysgraphia didn't exist as a category or wasn't regarded as distinct. i'm not saying i'm not dyslexic, necessarily, but my actual impairment, or at least the more significant presentation of it, is somewhat different from a person who is strictly dyslexic. if that makes sense and/or a difference...

namazu
11-29-11, 02:37 PM
you're question is a good one, n, though it shows the flaw in my example. ineed to look at your link, but there are NO generally acceptable fonts that entirely remove the ambiguity of a vs e for me. a better example would've been that some remove g b d p q ambiguity or at least minimize it.
Actually, in looking at that "dyslexie" font, I'm less convinced that it would be super-helpful, though it does attempt to resolve some of the g-b-d-p-q ambiguity.

EDIT: maybe it would help! ;)

The LD diagnoses are kind of jumbled, I'd say -- and dysgraphia is among the jumbliest, since it's sometimes applied to people who have trouble writing because of primarily fine-motor or motor-planning problems (which might also fall under "dyspraxia"), and to those who have difficulty writing due to phonemic-awareness problems (which could fall under "dyslexia"), and some with language-organization problems, and other things and combinations thereof... That's a problem with many of these labels -- they're too vague and too specific, all at once... Sometimes it's easier just to say, "I have trouble with writing. Gimme a laptop and it'll be better." :)

in my own writing i typically use what are called "serif fonts"; esp hightower text and footlight mt light. sadly, i find the fact that those are usually easier for me an oddity given anything frilly--from much that's italicized to full on calligraphy--basically illegible.My recent Big Presentation was done in HighTower Text. :cool:

The serifs tend to help draw our eyes horizontally across the page, which can be especially helpful to those of us who are "directionally challenged" (whether or not we're also "phonologically challenged").

But I agree that unnecessary flourishes can interfere with legibility.

OK, now back to your regularly-scheduled thread on spelling! ;)

Blueranne
12-01-11, 02:54 PM
Ive always assumed that I was dyslexic, but Ive never been tested. After watching that video though, Im not so sure. I dont mixe up letters. I dont know how to explain the problem I have... When I take notes in class I have learned that I have to change the collor of pen with every paragraph. If I write in one collor the entire time then I wont be able to read it later. I start with my orange gel pen, then green, pink, blue, red, purple and then black. I also cant read cursive, even though I write in my journal in cursive :rolleyes:.

The collor thing is one of the most effective ways for me to cope, but it that problem still doesnt cover all of the issues I have. I just dont know how to explain it. I guess I really should get assesed.

Peri, you are so lucky that you got all of your assesments and such when you were yong. I think that is awesome that your family was that on top of those things.

(I still corrected a few mistakes, damn this feeling. Writing should not bring with it a feeling of needing to measure up.)

rickymooston
12-05-11, 12:01 AM
I'm a horrible speller. However, your efforts to spell correctly with the dictionary probably will improve your spelling over time somewhat.

You could write down words you frequently misspell ... mispell? :confused:

I like to write. I love to read. I enjoy going to school because I simply enjoy learning. But, I *****ing loath spelling. I cant do it. I cant remember all of the rules I was supposed to have learned in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade.

My grandfather couldn't spell either. However, he got his phd under Rutherford. Spelling isn't everything.

If you are in school, you have to learn it but at the end of the day, ideas matter more than spelling. Coherency matters though

You want to know how long it takes me write my responses on threads? It takes a freakin long time.

I simply write my posts with spelling mistakes. :D Spelling isn't in my opinion very important although it bothers some people.

Most forums come with spell checkers.

Obviously, if you are in school, spelling is important to your English teacher. Its a very superficial way to evaluate people but those are the rules.

In terms of effective methods of spelling, I'm not sure if the rules help or not. Some of them aren't that bad.

I BEFORE E, except after C.
Perceive <--- Notice that

But then English comes with exceptions like the word weird.

buddy
12-05-11, 04:08 PM
Blue, I'm going to be 55 next month & I can't remember all the rules of spelling that I learned in school either.I don't think that anyone here cares all that much about correct spelling so I don't worry overmuch.

Blueranne
12-05-11, 06:54 PM
yeah, you are right, but still there are a lot of people who do care and they are usually the ones that will use that to classify and judge (not specifically on the forums), ya know?... Not that what other people think should bother me, I just hate that my opinions may be completely dissmissed for poor spelling.

NorCalAndy8
12-06-11, 04:29 AM
When I take notes in class, I first look up to see what's written on the board or power point before I copy anything down. After reading the lecture notes, I try to remember what I just read and then start writing it down on paper (I do this so that I don't fall behind in lecture). After copying down a paragraph worth of notes, I realize that I mis-read some words and phrases here and there. I either scribble out the incorrect words and phrases or erase all my notes and start over. It's probably why I'm usually the only one in class with tons of eraser residue on my desk. It can get a little embarrassing.

True Story. ^^^

I'm also dyslexic, but from what I can remember spelling wasn't that much of a problem for me (I kinda w** the spelling bee). But I know what you mean, I still find myself incorrectly spelling simple words that I shouldn't get mixed up. It's annoying.

When a person with dyslexia reads text on paper it doesn't fully register or it just registers differently. Dyslexics are more right-brain learners, which is why it can sometimes be difficult to understand the full representation of letters that are responsible for the construction of certain words.

Written and spoken language is usually processed through the left-hemisphere of the brain.

I know someone that isn't a good speller at all (he's also dyslexic) but he's really good with numbers and calculation.

I don't mind if you make spelling errors.

Blueranne
12-06-11, 11:54 AM
I like numbers better than letter. The rules are the rules in math, there are no exceptions.

Abi
12-06-11, 11:56 AM
I heartily agree.

*waves* to Blue

grape_ninja
12-06-11, 12:14 PM
Bule, I'm gonig to be 55 nxet month & I ca'nt rebmmeer all the relus of splnelig that I lraeend in soohcl etehir.I d'ont tnihk taht aoynne hree cears all that much auobt crrcoet slenilpg so I d'ont wrroy oevucmrh.

I gave up on trnyig to rebmemer all toshe rules a long time ago, don't care.....:o

Rebelyell
12-06-11, 12:31 PM
Put the carack pipe down?:p;):eek::D

Blueranne
12-06-11, 12:37 PM
You first Reb! ;)

Rebelyell
12-06-11, 12:47 PM
Haha me on crack ohh that be a very scary thing:( I think not..