View Full Version : I'm failing all of my classes in high school

Maddibon
11-29-11, 06:40 PM
Last quarter I got somewhat okay (passing) grades.

D- Dance
C- Marketing
B- World history
D- English ll
F- Graphics
D- Biology
C- Algebra l

Last year I failed just about everything except health, social studies, and Child development. So I have to retake math, english, and biology. (English I'm retaking senior year, and biology is a sophomore class as I was in honors last year so its the same this year.)

I was diagnosed with ADD and Oppositional Defiance Disorder last monday. I was given 20mg of adderall and I don't know if it's helping much. I just don't know what to do. I don't wanna say I don't have motivation because I WANT to pass. I want to graduate..but I can't get myself to do the work. I have such a hard time with procrastination and time management. I just don't know who to go to for this because when I tell my dad about bad grades he gets mad and says I just gotta get off my lazy **** and do my work. Then I get punished, I'm never praised for doing good. He acts like saying thank you is a HUGE deal and does it maybe once a month. Chores are so hard for me. I want to get them done but even when I start i just stare at the floor. I'm so scared for whats gonna happen to me and i'm crying as I type this. Please help, I'm so lost.

Maddibon
11-29-11, 07:23 PM
no one?:C

bill_the_cat
11-29-11, 08:28 PM
I would definitely find the teacher/counselor at school who knows you best and who you are comfortable talking with. I would lay it all out to them and explain what you're going through and ask for their help. You can't just be miserable all the time.

As far as the ODD, do your best to use replacement behaviors when you're feeling upset--exercise, meditate. If it's happening in class, I would discuss with the teacher things you can do when you're getting frustrated--taking a walk, moving your seat, etc. Think about the consequences of your actions and how they can negatively affect you or others BEFORE you act on any impulse.

I know you're going through a lot but if you don't look to others for help, you're just gonna make things that much more difficult for yourself. I think it also helps to meet with your subject teachers regularly so you can show them exactly what you're doing and have any questions answered. You have to show your teachers that you give a ****, otherwise they're gonna think you're just blowing them off.

Hang in there dude.

DennyD
11-30-11, 12:34 AM
Get your praise from inside. If like me praise from others seems well intended but lack a soul.
"want" smaller and praise yourself. Smaller meaning... I need a (B) to pass this math test. Not I need to graduate to get my Dad to not yell at me. Small... "its 4:37, I can get this lawn mowed it 12 mins and 47 seconds, clean up and still make the start of Simpsons.
Ive detailed small victories my whole life, its helped. Whats better is someone will recognize your "small" victory as a big one. You (me) will brush it off as nothing but it does feel great.

And Bill the Cat is right, seek help from well informed people.

Maddibon
11-30-11, 06:26 PM
thanks guys(:
I'm doing better. I think my little break down helped me out. I realized that I still definitely have a chance. My F's this quarter are all in high 40's and 50's. Except graphics. Holy **** that class is just....what. So I figured if I just work really hard between now and midterms, I'll pass:D
I'm getting help from friends(:

pooka
12-02-11, 12:46 AM
To celebrate your victories:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103496
Most of us here understand the feeling of having your successes go unnoticed, and we know it sucks. You deserve recognition for the progress you're making. Keep it up :)

pandani
12-02-11, 12:49 AM
I'm in the same boat as you, but I recently have been taking medication that's been helping more than anything. Hopefully, it helps for you too. Look up a little, find the motivation, and you can find yourself wanting to do the work.