View Full Version : Bipolar Meds

Andi
10-02-04, 02:19 PM
from Kimberly Bailey
Examples of Antipsychotics

Olanzapine (Zyprexa)
This medication was the first antipsychotic to be approved by the FDA for mania. Research shows it to be as effective as Lithium and it seems to help with mixed episodes. Weight gain is, however, a problem.

Risperidone (Risperdal)
Risperdal also shows a similar efficacy to Lithium. Research further indicates that as an adjunctive it works well in long-term stability. Again weight gain is often a concern.

Clozapine (Clozaril)
This drug is known for how quickly it works to reduce symptoms. It is also quite successful in helping difficult to treat cases. There is some concern that it may reduce while blood cell count.

Quetiapine (Seroquel)
The use of Seroquel for bipolar disorder is fairly new, but initial studies seem to indicate its utility for acute mania and rapid-cycling.

Ziprasidone (Geodon)
This medication is also only recently being used for bipolar disorder with similar results for acute mania. It demonstrates a tendency for rapid stabilization.

http://bipolar.about.com/cs/menu_treat/a/0312_treatmania_3.htm

Andrew
10-02-04, 03:48 PM
A good reference. Thanks!

Andi
10-25-05, 08:57 PM
Please click on the following for a list of commonly prescribed bipolar meds A-Z (http://bipolar.about.com/cs/menu_meds/l/bl_medsAZ.htm).

scuro
10-25-05, 09:24 PM
Andi you impress with quality good posts. I'm not used to the quiet scholarly Andi though.

Andi
10-25-05, 09:52 PM
Thank you, Scuro. I usually mirror the company I keep ;)

**repositions the smoke and mirrors** Pay no attention to the person behind the curtain :D

btw, consider the supply for your Friday ritual to suddenly be cut off :p

Cheers :)

replystreet
06-29-07, 10:27 PM
thanks for the reference

replystreet
08-03-07, 03:36 PM
thanks for the referenceI know of a company that offers free prescription medications. It's easy to qualify, most people do. It' 1-888-872-7519 very friendly people. You can get them every month for as long as you need them.

auntchris
08-14-07, 12:21 AM
thanks Andi for all the work and research. Thanks for the reference. It may come in handy soon.

netsavy006
11-17-07, 04:26 PM
Invega needs to be added to this list. While not FDA approved for bipolar, as a form of risperdal, I gather somewhere it's being used off-label.

lostmykeys
07-25-08, 03:29 AM
Lamictal is extremely common for the treatment of bipolar II.

KFC in CA
02-03-09, 11:56 PM
Lithium still is the "gold standard" bipolar medication.

Maintenance meds typically include Lithium or anticonvulsants (Lamictal, Depakote, Trileptal, or Tegretol). The antipsychotics listed above are more often used as add on's or emergency meds.