View Full Version : Sensory Evaluation

punkyntif
11-30-11, 02:42 PM
My son goes for a sensory eval in a couple of months and I'm wondering if anyone else has gone through this and what it consists of.

He is sensitive to loud noises and clothes around his waist and tags on shirts. They scheduled 2 two hour appts. But I'm wondering what they do next? Do they work with them on desensitizing or what?

My son is 7.5 and diagnosed with ADHD/ODD

tripleE
11-30-11, 04:36 PM
We are in Canada – might be a bit different. My DD was evaluated by an Occupational Therapist.

We had an interview. Took place in their therapy room which is basically a room with matted floors and filled with toys (ie. sensory tools). My DD “played” while the O/T took info from me, asked questions and observed.

After diagnosis, we attended several therapy sessions where she tried different tools and techniques to see what worked and gave us a list of things we could do at home. And yes, this is all towards either relaxing the nervous system or desensitizing.

Towards the end she wrote an official letter to the school for modifications which resulted in us getting an IEP.

It was very informative. Allowed my DD to understand her own sensory issues, learn to manage them and to feel ok about them. Gave me concrete tools to work with. Gave us official accommodations at school that were helpful. I wish I could afford to take her regularly, but as of now we try to work on things at home.

johndt
12-05-11, 09:59 PM
Thanks tripleE, I was actually wondering what these sensory evaluations are like as well. It seems like you obtained some really useful information from the therapy sessions.