View Full Version : would anyone like to talk about add/bipolar?

shamrock
12-01-11, 12:04 PM
Hi I started a thread this week called What else do you have? I was suprised to see so many people listing bipolar/mood disorder nos etc.

I have inattentive add and bipolar 2 although some of my bp symptoms are not typical. Does anyone know why so many of us have bipolar? What age did you get your bipolar? I was 28. I had a very stressful period which led to severe depression then whoosh!..I swear I actually felt my brain chemistry changing and it was hello bipolar. My relationship to alcohol changed the exact same week. One Saturday I was a normal drinker and the next I was unable to stop when I started. I dont believe the whole self medicating thing holds true for me. The bipolar brain chemistry change started the alcohol thing immediately if that makes sense. Where does inattentive add fit into this I wonder? I get the issues seperately. I just dont get the link. Any thoughts/personal accounts are welcome.

emploding
12-01-11, 04:22 PM
I was diagnosed bipolar at 17, but it was reconfirmed when I was 23 (because technically you can't be offically diagnosed before 18).

Ever since this ADD thing was mentioned I've been questioning my bipolar diagnoses. I get confused with hypomania and ADD obsessions/focus/excitment etc

I don't know. I'm on anti-depressents and mood stabilisers have been for years, so I really don't know what I'm like without meds. I might be totally bat**** crazy and the meds are awesome at making me feel normal. Perhaps I need an experiment without meds to find out!

artelsbest
12-01-11, 08:52 PM
My bi-polar wasn't diagnosed until I was 48 yrs old. My mother was diagnosed after my dad died and there was no medicine for manic depression. Apparently this disease is inherited from one generation to the next. Not all of us inherit the mood swings. I'm more depressed than not. Plus, my doctor realized that I also suffered from ADD. These diseases are a real trip to keep me leveled.

theloner
12-05-11, 06:41 PM
The AD started later in life, took Ritalin & Klonopin for 3 yrs, had a terrible event happen with family member, I lost it, confusion, scattered mind, went in hospital, they put me on Lithium, I am not bi-polar, anyway I didn't feel myself, like I was inside and couldn't get outside with this drug, personality change, leg cramps and funny feeling with I guess the nicotine.

The Lithium seemed to numb me from life.

After 2 mo went back on Ritalin and Klonopin. I don't think the drs really knew what was wrong.

I have been reading about ADHD & menopause which I think kicked the ADHD in big time, did I have my whole life & didn't know it, maybe, I always worked at a job where I was constantly doing data entry, constant being busy, coffee always helped. Everyone would tell me the coffee will keep me up, never did.:confused:

Its been 14 yrs now, anti depressants really don't help they make me have bad side effects, sleeping too long, weird head, high bp. Anti depressants seem to take 3-4 hours to get into my system then I am sorry I took it.

I think the drs don't understand why they don't work, they act like they are supposed to be working, I can understand a few side effects but for days? I feel I've wasted 14 yrs of my life with this, I'm not wasting anymore time trying the antidepressants.

I haven't been able to sleep, that's in another post, if I don't get my reg med from doc, I will have to resort to alcohol/beer to sleep, this upsets me that I will even have to think about doing this.

shamrock
12-08-11, 08:17 PM
I cant decide whether to view them as totally different issues eg

1 Got sore throat
2 Broke my leg ie no connection.

or whether to view it as if my bp came about as a result of my Add. My gut instinct tells me that the latter is true. I read somewhere that women with Add are very susceptible to mood disorders( I havent read about men) This forum is coming down with women who have both. I honestly dont think it is a coincidence.
I feel as if Add+ SEVERE stress/trauma can very often = bipolar. Its like Add can turn into bipolar or something. I can find nothing on the web to support this so I just thought I would ask the Add people here. Does anyone have any sense or instinct that this is what happened you? Or do you believe it is random coincidence that you have both?

MDigital
12-08-11, 11:05 PM
Bi-polar and add / adhd are what one would call co-morbid diagnosis. It is very difficult to tell the difference between the two, as the symptoms are very similar in nature in some aspects.

When I was 18 they diagnosed me with bi-polar, my guardians wrote it off as if it could not be true, and the doctors were mistaken.

Fast forward almost 15 years, I had to be hospitalized after a manic episode got me arrested and put in psych for a few days.

I now take ambilify 10mg once a day, and it seems to have helped with symptoms, like paranoia, etc.

MDigital
12-08-11, 11:08 PM
So basically.... I didn't even finish the statement I was getting at thats how bad my ADHD is LOLOL...

Ok yeah so pretty much what I wanted to finish saying was what I am diagnosed with...

We'll start from the top... :D

1. Temperal Lobe Epilepsy
2. ADD / ADHD
3. Bi-Polar

Doctors call this a trifecta, or a perfect group of 3.

qanda
12-09-11, 07:35 AM
My 9 yr old daughter is adhd and bipolar. Thank goodness I did tons of research on this and found a treatment that works while she is young. From what I've read, it's important to treat kids while young because young adults are often reluctant to take anything for it.

Lea Ann
12-09-11, 08:40 AM
I haven't been tested yet, appointment in 4 days. I believe I am ADD bipolar. I think my sister is bi-polar also. I never thought I was, but after watching her and being subjected to her mood swings and explaining them to other people, the reaction I get is ALWAYS, "Maybe you have it too!" Obviously I react and display the same way, I just never realized it. It seems when I lose my temper its trigger quick and explosive, then I am calm again and it as if nothing had ever happened. I forget, but the people around me do not. Also, I took anti depressant in the 90's which made me a rambling idiot. I was very happy but to the point of acting irresponsible. Real talkative, overly bubbly, add alcohol and you have a real ditzy floozy on your hands! After discussing this with my doctor recently, she suspects bi-polar because the anti depressant pushed into a hyper mania stage. Looking back, I can see that now. I don't care for anti depressants. I don't ever want to feel that way again, the way the meds made me feel. I have worked really hard to not lose my temper of have fits of rage. I have never hurt anyone physically, but verbally I have wounded many. Just starting to learn all this. I don't do this purposely and I don't want to be that person. I am very caring and sweet until something just blows and I truly despise that! I think that poor communication may play a factor. I have never been good at communication. And it seems like I can ask someone something and they never hear me, or are ignoring me. And so I ask again, because I really want an answer, or to at least an acknowledgement that I was heard. And still no reply. And that's when my switched flip. Now I really want an answer. So I raise my voice and repeat the same question with more aggression (like that's gonna make then answer me) At this point the other person is getting annoyed if not ******. It's never a good ending. But this seems to be something that replays for me almost daily! Not sure if ts b-polar, or bad personality trait or impatience. I am puzzled as to why this affects me so often.

shamrock
12-09-11, 02:35 PM
It seems when I lose my temper its trigger quick and explosive, then I am calm again and it as if nothing had ever happened. I forget, but the people around me do not. .

I know that feeling. In her book An Unquiet mind Kay Redfield Janmison says

"It took me far too long to realise that lost years and relationships cannot be recovered,that damage done to oneself and others cannot always be put right again......The war I waged against myself is not an uncommon one.

On the subject of books I have just read about a book here on the forum called The Cobad Syndrome by Wiliam Niederhut. The op says the author is a harvard law professor and it is the only book that looks at the 2 conditions in an individual together. I have just ordered it from Amazon yesterday. I am interested in how the two conditions can play out together in one person. Sometimes I feel as if they are feeding off each other in me.

starwars78
12-10-11, 02:03 PM
Sometimes I feel as if they are feeding off each other in me.
I feel the same way a lot. There are times when I don't know what is from what and I get really frustrated. Then try to explain that to your doctor. I get even more frustrated trying to explain it because he wants to help but if I don't know what's going on then how can he?

shamrock
12-11-11, 07:10 PM
I dont either. Sometimes it feels as if my hyperfocus periods can trigger hyopmania. Then I wonder does my hypomania trigger hyperfocus periods! One or both of the conditions has got a lot worse since I reached 39 or 40. I feel like an ill person now. I am also battling an episodic alcohol problem which is causing complete havoc. Im actually saving to go abroad in January and get an antabuse implant fitted.My conditions are knocking me off the wagon again and again.How do you feel as if your conditions feed off each other? The hyperfocus/hypomania one is the biggest one for me.

blgw99
12-12-11, 02:12 PM
I feel as if Add+ SEVERE stress/trauma can very often = bipolar. Its like Add can turn into bipolar or something. I can find nothing on the web to support this so I just thought I would ask the Add people here. Does anyone have any sense or instinct that this is what happened you? Or do you believe it is random coincidence that you have both?

This could be true. It is hard for me to pinpoint when I actually got either, but I think it was in my early teens when I developed recurring cycles of severe depression and possibly what in retrospect could have been hypomania. I think it was mostly the result of the stress and frustration with the situation at home, peer rejection and school issues.

I had several markedly hypomanic reactions to antidepressants, when I finally got help in my 20s and five years later (now) ended up with a working diagnosis of mood disorder NOS or something like that and put on Seroquel.

As for the link.. Wasn't there something about the same genes being involved. So, environmental factors will determine if the person gets ADHD, bipolar, both, (or something inbetween, actually...?).

The conditions definitely feed off each other. Both depressed and elevated moods make my ADHD symptoms much worse - depends, which ones - a lose/lose situation.

Lea Ann
12-13-11, 01:41 AM
Oh, thank you! Blgw99! I experienced the same things growing up!! I went thru depression, my parents divorced when was, (?) 11ish violent, angry, explosive drunken divorce! Saw things NO CHILD should EVER have to go thru! then father made the transition worse, trying to "take" me from public football and basketball games to get back at my mother, I was terrified of him but loved him at the same time. He never meant any harm, he was a lonely man rejected and I was the one he tried to cling to , but I was too young to be "there" for him in his condition. Then my mother had got sick with cancer and died after 4 long grueling years. In my teens, I went thru a period of promiscuity, shame, guilt, fear, partying, never wanted to go home. Graduated high school ( impossible, for sure) I left home tried to go to college, I was so young and without positive guidance I made so many mistakes and was irresponsible. This trait persisted throughout most of my adult life. I am 43 now, and married 3 years ago, for the first time. It hasn't been easy, and I am now back in college. Really not easy. I still struggle but have realized that my irresponsible actions cause the most harm and grief for me so I have learned to keep it calm and stay home and I really love being at home. I keep my mouth closed until I have tie to think about what I want to say, and usually I don't have anything to day after I sleep on it. This is a lifetime of hard knocks to get to where I am. I believe that my disorders DO feed off each other. I lack love, guidance, appreciation, and connection, is it any wonder why I feel the way do?

anewlife2432
09-17-12, 08:35 AM
I myself was diagnosis with bi-polar and ADHD around the age of 12 or 13. I have spent the last 18 years not medicated or treated. i spent all those years abusing drugs not able to keep a job and no good romantic or interpersonal relationships. Last year i got sober and found the most wonderful hard working understanding man i had ever met (outside my dad who i lost at 17). he was willing to except all my faults and most all the bs that goes with these disorders he even married me before i got insurance and saw his doctor and got my meds. although there is a period when beginning to medicate for adjustment. He started me on adderall 20mg XR twice a day and also 1 5mg as needed twice daily. After a month i discovered i was not getting the full benefit due to IBS a gastric ulcer and ulceration colitis so we started again with 20mg IR x2 daily and 5mg x2 daily this was a great improvement a much easier experience. Now i no longer take the 5mg but i traded that for 20mg IR x3 daily and Effexor ER for the bipolar which increased my ability to have the maximum benefit of a normal life a wonderful marriage and better family relationships. Their are people that say they can take medication breaks this is not true here i believe only people with only ADHD can do this, us with the two issues or more than even us have to be scheduled, and take all of our meds everyday (i honestly could be wrong though everyone is different).
I hope that this helps in anyway and if you should have any questions let me know. one more thing be positive do it for you and stay with what works for you and by all means be honest and open with your doctor if hes any good at all he will tweak fix give suggestions and truely help you.:D

crystal8080
09-17-12, 04:10 PM
Hey Shamrock I remember you, you are the one who suggested I try a mood stabiliser. Its helping tremendously. I think I was in such a state I didn't recognize myself. I can most definitely see my mood shifts now and believe I have a correct diagnosis.

I believe my onset was childhood. I don't know why I haven't developed "full blown" bipolar. I still may I guess. I was diagnosed this summer. I am 32.

My doctor seemed surprised when I told him he was the first psychiatrist I had ever seen, and that I had never been admitted to hospital. I kinda flew in under the radar. I had no family to be concerned for me, and I somehow stayed far enough on "this side" of the law. Really I guess that means that I never got caught.

The medication has lifted my mild depression, and has reigned in my irritability when it cuts loose. It has really made my life more manageable not being yanked this way and that all the time.

My doctor wanted me to start steps to go back to school, and by my next visit I had already applied for volunteering, started doing some "hobby" writing for a kids magazine, (i say hobby cause it doesn't pay much and its only about 500 words lol) and I'm getting out to be social. And not "party lets go crazy" or completely anxious social. Like "normal" social. Its really nice.

I'm piecing together a life. I made the decision on my own to stop drinking altogether. I have given up my partying days a while ago, but thought it best to abstain altogether to give myself a chance to have a life with stable moods.

I haven't quite plugged in the ADHD. I'm so busy following my mood shifts around and the problems they cause me I'm never sure what is what unless I'm feeling fairly normal mood wise and I'm forgetful and unfocused. I'm still a student I don't think I'll ever be a teacher.

crystal8080
09-17-12, 04:15 PM
:doh:

Old thread!

Bekkieleigh
09-21-12, 10:00 PM
I've never been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, but I am starting to think that it may be a possibility. I've seen a lot of the symptoms, such as long lasting deep depressions, and sudden swings into periods with Mania symptoms such as racing thoughts, overconfidence and high energy, as well as extreme happiness, feeling untouchable. I mentioned it to my doctor, and he basically told me it was just my imagination. Didn't even offer any suggestions about the symptoms. I know that ADHD and Bipolar have similarities; and it's hard to diagnose...but I dunno. It would be nice to have complete certainty. I know for sure I have ADHD.

someothertime
09-22-12, 03:36 AM
Ditto to Bekkie, I have a friend who is a shrink and they thought I had bipolar. With me it's more low motivation, unable to act etc.

I'm treating my attention issues now, I thin the key word is focus. If you gain your/some focus yet the ups and downs persist then there could be a case for investigating the bipolar further.

justchillin4now
09-25-12, 07:57 PM
I myself was diagnosis with bi-polar and ADHD around the age of 12 or 13. I have spent the last 18 years not medicated or treated. i spent all those years abusing drugs not able to keep a job and no good romantic or interpersonal relationships. Last year i got sober and found the most wonderful hard working understanding man i had ever met (outside my dad who i lost at 17). he was willing to except all my faults and most all the bs that goes with these disorders he even married me before i got insurance and saw his doctor and got my meds. although there is a period when beginning to medicate for adjustment. He started me on adderall 20mg XR twice a day and also 1 5mg as needed twice daily. After a month i discovered i was not getting the full benefit due to IBS a gastric ulcer and ulceration colitis so we started again with 20mg IR x2 daily and 5mg x2 daily this was a great improvement a much easier experience. Now i no longer take the 5mg but i traded that for 20mg IR x3 daily and Effexor ER for the bipolar which increased my ability to have the maximum benefit of a normal life a wonderful marriage and better family relationships. Their are people that say they can take medication breaks this is not true here i believe only people with only ADHD can do this, us with the two issues or more than even us have to be scheduled, and take all of our meds everyday (i honestly could be wrong though everyone is different).
I hope that this helps in anyway and if you should have any questions let me know. one more thing be positive do it for you and stay with what works for you and by all means be honest and open with your doctor if hes any good at all he will tweak fix give suggestions and truely help you.:D

awesome, How much effexor do you take? What time of day do you take it? It has done wonders for me to but it seems if i take it in the am, I'm too sleepy. If I take it in the pm I have early waking 3-4 am? Your blessed not to have your doctor bust your chops about your stimulants. :p