View Full Version : Lots of blame in ADHD drug's shortage

K-Funk
12-01-11, 12:57 PM
Article suggests drug shortage is a result of increase in diagnosis and not illegal use of ADHD drugs...

So far, there is no evidence that illegal use is eating into the drug supply. It appears more likely that increased ADHD diagnoses are driving demand, Cowles said.

The percentage of children with an ADHD diagnosis increased by 22 percent between 2003 and 2007 and continues to rise each year, the CDC said

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Lots-of-blame-in-drug-s-shortage-2337094.php#ixzz1fIt202W0
http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Lots-of-blame-in-ADHD-drug-s-shortage-2337094.php

Le Misanthrope
12-01-11, 01:26 PM
All those poor zombified children.

fracturedstory
12-01-11, 07:07 PM
How's this?

My friend who has an actual prescription to Adderall can't get it.

My sister who bought it off the street has got it.

I know more abusers than people that actually have ADHD. FS!

Also, a daily dose of say Ritalin is like 30mg max and someone wanting to get high will take 10 at once. That's 100mg. I'd drop dead at about 4 or 5.

I think the shortage is more than the illegal use. Isn't it some ploy of Shire to get more people on Vyvanse? Or is that a conspiracy theory? I like conspiracy theories.

Rebelyell
12-01-11, 09:36 PM
That does it Im not ever having kids!I know when I was down in south carolina ,word from the street its easier to get it off the street or if you know people in the medical comunnity then getting it legally

Impetus
12-01-11, 10:59 PM
I think the shortage is more than the illegal use. Isn't it some ploy of Shire to get more people on Vyvanse? Or is that a conspiracy theory? I like conspiracy theories.

ok, now this is an entirely plausible conspiracy theory to me. Even though I've gone through the same frustrations to get a hold of adderall, I could never latch onto a conspiracy, but this is plausible in my mind!

And the rise in diagnoses makes good sense too. But I don't know if that convinces me it's over diagnosed... sorry, but it sounds like a straw man argument.

does it make sense the increase in diagnoses play into the med shortage, absolutely. does it mean it's over diagnosed, not necessarily.

cattail
12-02-11, 12:23 AM
There is a chance people are getting diagnosed to sell their scripts

theloner
12-02-11, 06:04 AM
i went thru this months ago trying to get my adderall filled, makes no sense at all

rickymooston
12-03-11, 10:30 PM
My sister who bought it off the street has got it.

Somebody with ADHD probably sold the original version.

Why was your sister buying said drugs? That's scary. Does she have ADHD too?