View Full Version : Focalin? Fascinating!

Bouncingoffwall
12-03-11, 07:30 PM
So "focalin" is a single isomer variant of methylphendiate? So it's d-methlyphenidate only?

Do any people who use this have issues with tolerance? I had tolerance issues with regular methylphenidate, and before long, I found it weirdly sedating.

Is there any to mitigate tolerance with this drug? Does it respond to DXM/Magnesium like Dextroamphetamine (Adderall)?

G252013
12-12-11, 05:04 PM
It's just difficult to keep it working long term. Have you had any experience with it?

Bouncingoffwall
12-14-11, 02:23 PM
It's just difficult to keep it working long term. Have you had any experience with it?

I took IR Ritalin (generic) for about 8 months. I was up to 20mg 3x a day before switching to Vyvanse for a couple of months.

I would sometimes feel very tired/lethargic on Ritalin. When I first took it, a 10mg pill was super-effective. By the time I switched, it still helped me focus and concentrate a little bit, but that kick was no longer there. It was actually quite sedating at times.

I wasn't taking the Magnesium/DXM at night, though. I wonder if it works for Ritalin. It works stellar for Adderall. I've actually had to slightly decrease my dose.

Before this, I've previously taken Ritalin IR and Concerta.

hollywood
12-15-11, 10:29 AM
well , yeah it's good to hear feedback which reflects the same thing that I have been through. It all depends, I have sometimes felt lethargic on ritalin and concerta as well. I think it has something to do with the dose not being effective enough, not quite enough and with the concerta I think it has to be with a slow delivery system that is long lasting and when you get that feeling you describe I'm pretty sure it's sub therapeutic. Now with concerta I will feel more alert per say... Yet , with focalin I am more focused but kind of sedated feeling. I guess it's being more zoned in but I hate the I'm dragging feeling. Focalin xr does not by any means last longer than concerta. Yet , while it's working mostly its probably more effective. From my point of view tolerance "acute" is more of an issue with ritalin and mph. It just seems that adderall being the 3 molecules lasts much longer " additive" and is less prone to "acute" tolerance changes. Now, with adderall I felt sleepy on it. I think that must be from the extra flooded NE being flooded into the synapse. Historically, and from many others NE has a calming effect for adhd and it can be sedating initially much like many other meds when you start up. Let's face it, starting a med and having it kick start you like caffeine just usually doesn't happen for those of us with adhd. If you want that you have to drink caffeine in the mornings. I've come to terms that there is no substitute like good caffeine to start your day off , before and inbetween doses and to prolong a dose. Yet, caffeine and it's effects are short lived. You get the umbrella perk up along with physical stimulation and the CNS stimulation is short lived. Maybe 30 minutes, maybe an hour if your lucky. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that even when ritalin works its going to work but the dose usually needs to be increased much more often in comparison to adderall and those on adderall seem to get a lot longer duration of effect. Does this sound accurate?