View Full Version : Hello from Ontario

michelin29
10-03-04, 06:02 PM
Hello, I just found this website while browsing for ADHD info. My 7 year old son was diagnosed and started Ritalin in Feb. 2004. I wasn't happy with the ups and downs of the meds leaving his system, so this Sept. he started taking Concerta. He has some insomnia and his appetite has disappeared again, but otherwise, it seems to be working. He didn't get suspended from school all last week! Because he's so young, it's hard to get a lot of info on how he feels. He just keeps telling me, "I wish you could spend a day being me". I'm enjoying reading the forums. They are starting to fill me in on the way he may be feeling. I especially like reading the threads that praise the meds. As a mother, allowing my son to take meds was one of the most difficult decision I've made. I'm always second-guessing my decision. I wish I had a crystal ball to see into the future so that I can see what his life will be like.

ADDvocacy
10-04-04, 01:17 AM
Hi there!

Its so great to have a fellow Ontarian online! Welcome! I am sure that you'll find a lot of support here.

I know that what you and your son are going through is really tough! The first few months of the diagnosis can be quite rocky. I've worked in education for several years and have been working with ADD parents for the past year and so many feel helpless at first - but don't worry! We do hold

Its so wonderful that you are gaining insight into his ADD and how he is feeling. You clearly want the best for him and that is wonderful. He's lucky to have such support!

I too have ADD and am taking concerta. Its such a great improvement from all the ups & downs of ritalin. I sometimes wonder if I really 'need' the medication but trust me - when I wake up and forget to take it there's a FOGGY day ahead.

Anyway welcome and enjoy the forums! Feel free to send me a message if you want to talk more or if you want to find out about support groups for parents of children with ADD (I"m not sure where you are in Ontario but my company ADDvocacy runs a support group in Oakville).

Take care and smile - you are doing a fantastic job with the concern and care you express for your son!

Hello, I just found this website while browsing for ADHD info. My 7 year old son was diagnosed and started Ritalin in Feb. 2004. I wasn't happy with the ups and downs of the meds leaving his system, so this Sept. he started taking Concerta. He has some insomnia and his appetite has disappeared again, but otherwise, it seems to be working. He didn't get suspended from school all last week! Because he's so young, it's hard to get a lot of info on how he feels. He just keeps telling me, "I wish you could spend a day being me". I'm enjoying reading the forums. They are starting to fill me in on the way he may be feeling. I especially like reading the threads that praise the meds. As a mother, allowing my son to take meds was one of the most difficult decision I've made. I'm always second-guessing my decision. I wish I had a crystal ball to see into the future so that I can see what his life will be like.

waywardclam
10-04-04, 01:19 AM
Howdy from another Ontarian here! :D