View Full Version : Anyone else hate other people's music?

QuantumIguana
12-05-11, 06:16 PM
It annoys me going into a store were there is music. For other people, it fades into the background, but I just tune it out. Standing in line to order food, and there is the noise of the people, the noise of the kitchen, and to top it off, there is music playing. It just sends my stress levels way up. I'd so love places that have some quiet, but doing something as simple as ordering a burrito gets stressful, because with all the other sounds, it is hard for me to concentrate just the conversation that I am having with the person who is making my burrito. It just seems so ridiculous, it's just a burrito.

ginniebean
12-05-11, 06:47 PM
YES! and then the music is so loud so people talk louder to the point I cannot enjoy a meal! it's unfortunate but it's a tactic used to turn tables.. eat and get the hell out.

It's so bad I get no enjoyment eating out anymore. I can't converse, the distraction makes it so hard to have a conversation and/or even hear the person. And the volume of sensory data shunted at me has me practically crawling out of my skin.

Kirby Albee
12-05-11, 07:00 PM
It doesn't bother me too too much, but I've never been able to tune it out like most can. I really suffer from the heavy-rotation radio that's on in most retail places, when I have to work in them.

full_throttle
12-07-11, 09:10 PM
It doesn't bother me too too much, but I've never been able to tune it out like most can. I really suffer from the heavy-rotation radio that's on in most retail places, when I have to work in them.
Having worked a few years in retail, I agree.

I get stressed at events with lots of people and those little food tents set up. I really have a hard time concentrating on what I want to order. So many people in a small area all talking loudly plus the MC on those big speakers, not to mention when the live band comes on. Puts me on edge.

mildadhd
12-09-11, 01:57 AM
It annoys me going into a store were there is music. For other people, it fades into the background, but I just tune it out. Standing in line to order food, and there is the noise of the people, the noise of the kitchen, and to top it off, there is music playing. It just sends my stress levels way up. I'd so love places that have some quiet, but doing something as simple as ordering a burrito gets stressful, because with all the other sounds, it is hard for me to concentrate just the conversation that I am having with the person who is making my burrito. It just seems so ridiculous, it's just a burrito.

So funny!!

"it's just a burrito" ,:D

Funny how something so simple will get my knickers in a twist.

At the time in feels like instantanious combustion is going to occur.

Sometimes people seem to moving so slow.

My eyes feel like they might pop out of my head.

Medication helps me tremendously on this topic.

If I think I am going to explode.

It is usually past the time of taking medication.

I wonder if it is considered a paradox,

if you cool down the situation with a little hot sauce?:D

I also wonder if being in a silent room and hearing another person chewing when I am not even worse.

I need to jump up and turn on a TV or something before rudely say something totally out of line.

I am sure I am not a quiet eater either.

MissesS
01-23-12, 08:13 PM
Yes! I thought I was the only one who gets severely irritated by other people's music. My other half likes to listen to radio stations that play top 40.
I like 'older' music (I think I was born in the wrong generation!)

Whenever I hear his music I feel like I'm about to snap!
I turn it down (right down) or turn it off. He hates that...
Then we fight about it as he doesn't understand how I cant handle hearing it.

MissesS
01-23-12, 09:03 PM
Yes! I thought I was the only one who gets severely irritated by other people's music. My other half likes to listen to radio stations that play top 40.
I like 'older' music (I think I was born in the wrong generation!)

Whenever I hear his music I feel like I'm about to snap!
I turn it down (right down) or turn it off. He hates that...
Then we fight about it as he doesn't understand how I cant handle hearing it.

cameron90
01-23-12, 09:54 PM
No, not really. I might not like it, but I can tolerate it. I know many people who cannot even stand to listen to some music. I can't tune it out but I don't find myself reacting to any type of music except maybe really loud metal or something, which establishments tend not to play.

Something I cannot stand is how much louder advertisements on TV are compared to the show, because I'll have to adjust the volume constantly.

spunkysmum
01-23-12, 10:01 PM
It definitely depends on the music. And how captive I am to it. I entertained fantasies of throttling some guy who thought it was cute or funny to be whistling "Edelweiss" in Walmart late on a Friday evening though. And squalling kids in a public place.......don't get me started. I have been known to wear earplugs in a store to muffle the sound.

cameron90
01-23-12, 10:15 PM
It definitely depends on the music. And how captive I am to it. I entertained fantasies of throttling some guy who thought it was cute or funny to be whistling "Edelweiss" in Walmart late on a Friday evening though. And squalling kids in a public place.......don't get me started. I have been known to wear earplugs in a store to muffle the sound.

Squalling kids in public is OK with me as long as I can get away from them. Squalling kids on a plane however, well that would probably be a movie starring Samuel L. Jackson

spunkysmum
01-23-12, 10:18 PM
Squalling kids in public is OK with me as long as I can get away from them. Squalling kids on a plane however, well that would probably be a movie starring Samuel L. Jackson

LOL!

You know, I don't mind so much if the parent is trying their best to quiet the child, but the situations where the parents don't give a crap and just let the kids yell and scream, really get to me. I mean, maybe they are accustomed to it, but that doesn't mean other people are.

Fraser_0762
01-23-12, 10:19 PM
I don't like the sound of other peoples music because I like to be in control of the music i'm listening to.

Vitually all local places here don't play my kind of music anyway. It's all hip-hop, RNB and pop music you hear in shops and clubs here. I'm really not a fan of radio friendly music.

Pumbaa
01-25-12, 05:23 PM
I guess it depends. The grocery it is ok. Sometimes I sing along if it is a good song. At work, someone thought it would be a good idea to have the radio on for the entire department. It is extremely distracting. I noticed it was shut off this week. Thank goodness!

In my job, I am looking for mistakes. Sometimes if I wear headphones and listen to music it is ok but most of the time it distracts me from my task.

I have tinnitus so I have never 100 percent quiet anymore.

I had a workmate who bounced a tennis ball on his desk! Yes! I couldn't figure out what the noise was and thought he was tapping which also drives me nuts because it sounds very loud in my hearing aids.

gatorADDe
01-25-12, 05:26 PM

I always have become very easily distracted by music and sounds in general. I'll be doin homework and hear a faint conversation outside my window and it will completely throw me off track. Also, my roommate whistles a lottt and I find it one of the most distracting noises in the world lol.

QuantumIguana
02-06-12, 12:59 PM
I found a website that plays white noise, at work I will put on headphones and listen to white noise. Drowns out everything without being too loud.

sarahsweets
02-06-12, 05:30 PM
.I only hate other peoples music because mine is better ;)

spunkysmum
02-06-12, 05:56 PM
I found a website that plays white noise, at work I will put on headphones and listen to white noise. Drowns out everything without being too loud.

Those sites are a Godsend. They have saved me from punching a lot of people in public libraries.