View Full Version : Attention Deficit Disorder & Applying to Disability

mother rabies
10-03-04, 10:43 PM
Has anyone here considered applying for dissability for ADD/ADHD.
I can't hold a job and if I were on my own I could not support myself or my son.
Sometimes the ADD is so overwhelming I can't focus on things that I want to.
I feel so incredibly stupid sometimes and I have other throw offs from this like Anxiety and depression to boot.
I've seriously considered that a Government check is the last resort but I think I may be ready for the last resort as I simply cannot function anymore.

I think it is ludicrous that single male drug addicts with no children qualify for disability benefits in some states and people with actual dibilitating conditions often get thrown to the side.

exeter
10-04-04, 12:37 AM
No, I haven't considered actually applying for government disability benefits, but I do now check the box that says I'm a person with a disability.

If it's truly a last resort, then go for it. I hadn't considered it precisely because I can hold a job. My first (part time) job lasted 4 years, and most jobs I have had since then I have stayed with for at least a year. Most of the jobs that didn't last that long were temp jobs anyway.

I would start by contacting your community mental health organizations. Even if they cannot help you with applying for disability benefits, they can help with treatment options. A lot of the fees are based on income. If your income is very low, it would be a minimal fee. They may even be able to help with low-cost medications.

QueensU_girl
11-17-05, 09:38 PM
re: applying for a disability benefit program

If you are a woman with ADD, be aware that some features of ADD affect women differently.

You may want to use books and other material put out by Drs. Patricia Quinn and Kathleen Nadeau's ["Women with ADHD"], and look at the lists of symptoms/effects of ADHD in women, and how it affects our lives.

It helped me find the phrases for how ADHD affects me, as i have never been able to define before.

Using Woman-specific written material may help you with relevant ADHD content for writing your disability letters, or doing disability applications. And it may help you tell your doctors more preceisely about _the DEFICITS)_ you are experienceing, and how they constitute a true disability.

At first glance, Adult ADHD can be *a very invisible* disability except to teachers, coworkers, employers and friends/family.

I know that i made it to age 32 w/o diagnosis. :(

I saw some of their female ADHD books on EBAY for good prices.

-Emma
:)

Rosa
03-10-10, 07:18 AM
Hi friend,

While searching for disability benefits for one of my family friend, i found a organization "National Benefit Authority (http://www.thenba.ca/)" I approached them and got positive results. I will also recommend you to approach them. They will definitely help you out.

Carolann63362
06-18-10, 02:47 AM
Im reading a book called "You mean I'm not lazy crazy or stupid?" It is soooo good:)

adhdmomof2
06-20-11, 05:44 PM
Actually I have applied and working with Binder & Binder on my case. I am the exact same way and personally, I'd rather work for myself than for any employer. I hate the boundaries of working for someone or company. I am a single mother of 2 kids and recently diagnosed with anxiety, depression and ADHD. It hurts your pride more than anything. Yes, it is an invisible disability that is with you most of your life. For those of us who are women, it's harder to detect and most people would say it's just stress. However, it is genetic and someone in your family may have it as well. My 10 year old has it as well as my mother. B&B are great lawyers and know a lot about "invisible" disabilities. Also, the book mentioned in an earlier post helps you feel more at ease by learning you're not alone.