View Full Version : Generics

Sakhisakh
12-06-11, 02:51 PM
I'll be visiting my doctor in two days and will be asking her about adding Wellbutrin to my Strattera, and I have couple questions.

My first (and most important) question is what your experiences are with different generics? Which ones work best? Do they work as well as the name brand?

My other questions are about generics in general. I have no idea how they work. If I'm written a prescription for Wellbutrin do I get to choose whether I get name brand or generic? Or is the prescription written for one brand specifically? Do I get to request whatever brand I want at the pharmacy? Do all pharmacies keep all generics stocked or would I have to just pick from what they decide to have on hand? How many different generics are there?

Oh. And one more. How much does the name brand cost?

Thank you!

Skiwampus
12-07-11, 02:15 PM
I apologize as I do not have any personal experience with Wellbutrin/buproprion but I am looking into it as an option for myself; I was researching and browsing the forums for some info when I came across your post and can only answer a couple questions.

My first (and most important) question is what your experiences are with different generics? Which ones work best? Do they work as well as the name brand?
From what I have gathered from other people's reported experiences, the generics don't seem to work as well. I do recall coming across a couple posts about people having preferences of one brand over another though--look around.
If I'm written a prescription for Wellbutrin do I get to choose whether I get name brand or generic? Or is the prescription written for one brand specifically?
You can choose if you want a name brand or a generic at the pharmacy. Sometimes a doctor will write "brand-specific" on a script, but this is usually not the case and usually only helps with insurance issues (you really do find brand-name works instead of generics so the doctor helps you "over-ride" the insurance coverage).
Do I get to request whatever brand I want at the pharmacy? Do all pharmacies keep all generics stocked or would I have to just pick from what they decide to have on hand?
Usually, pharmacies carry just one brand of generic (at least from my experience). Sometimes the smaller, independent pharmacies will be nice enough to order a specific brand if you prefer.
Oh. And one more. How much does the name brand cost?
I'm curious as to this one as well.