View Full Version : Is this normal?? it time to switch medication?

Cecily
12-06-11, 11:06 PM
My husband was diagnosed with ADHD 7 months ago. He spent a few months going to a psychologist who, despite his alleged ADHD qualifications, said my husband only had slight ADHD and that most of his very classic and more severe ADHD symptoms was the result of a childhood head trauma incident so my husband just has to come to terms with never getting better. He came up with this with no scientific testing whatsoever. Needless to say, I don't trust him.

He collaborated with our small town family practitioner and prescribed him Wellbutrin at 300 mg daily. My husband has been on it for 4 months now and has had no bad side effects, however he hasn't had any good effects either. His psychologist then suggested that the Wellbutrin may not be working because my husband's depression. So instead of switching to a new med or changing doses, he simply had the family practitioner prescribe Celexa for the depression. Now we must wait 4 weeks to see if we need to adjust the Celexa dosage, wait again, adjust again until just right and THEN determine if he needs to switch off of Wellbutrin.

Is this normal??? Should we be having to wait so long? Should we insist on switching to something else for the ADHD?

P.S. I've decided to get involved to get his treatment back on track. We're in the process of finding a new therapist, which is quite difficult in our very rural area. :-/

anonymouslyadd
12-06-11, 11:29 PM
Is this normal??? Should we be having to wait so long? Should we insist on switching to something else for the ADHD?

I'm not a medical expert, but Wellbutrin is effective in treatment of ADHD. I guess except for your husband's case.:( I'm not sure about Celexa.

It looks like they are building one med into his system while eliminating another. I don't think one month is too bad. Although, you and especially your husband might feel like it is an eternity.

Cecily
12-07-11, 02:04 PM
If Wellbutrin was not working without an antidressant, would you wait for an antidepressant to take full effect, or would you go ahead with the antidepressant but also ask for a new ADHD med? There are so many ADHD meds out there, I'm skeptical as to why they want to stick with this one. Does adding an antidepressant ever make a big difference in the effect of an ADHD med? Or will a difference be unlikely because it hasn't made a dent on it's own?

Abi
12-07-11, 02:29 PM
If Wellbutrin was not working without an antidressant, would you wait for an antidepressant to take full effect, or would you go ahead with the antidepressant but also ask for a new ADHD med?

The latter

There are so many ADHD meds out there, I'm skeptical as to why they want to stick with this one.

Because Wellbutrin is a non stimulant and some (ignorant) doctors and psychologists have a negative attitude to stimulants.

Stimulant treatment (Ritalin, Dexedrin, Vuvanse) etc. is a first line treatment for ADHD, ie. it should be tried first. Wellbutrin is a 4th line treatment.

Does adding an antidepressant ever make a big difference in the effect of an ADHD med?

Almost never.

ANd btw Wellbutrin itself is primarily an antidepressant, not an ADHD med, altho it is used with some success in some ADHD cases.

I suggest your go consult with someone out of town if this is affordable and viable for you.

feelme03
12-09-11, 01:55 PM
I've been stuggling with taking Wellbutrin and Celexa together, so I posted a question that might give you some insight of what I'm going through with it.