View Full Version : I have a cold. Is it safe to take Robitussin?

tambourine-man
12-07-11, 04:16 PM
I know that mixing DXM and Desoxyn can be dangerous. Is this true at therapeutic doses of both? Would a tablespoon of Robitussin have adverse effects? What is the likelihood of serotonin syndrome or less serious but nevertheless uncomfortable side-effects?

trishcan
12-07-11, 07:29 PM
What's the danger in taking both? I'm ignorant, here... People on other amphetamines take Robitussin as needed. I imagine you realize this is a question for a pharmacist, but now I'm curious why these two things shouldn't be taken together...

tambourine-man
12-07-11, 10:25 PM
Well, I'm on Desoxyn and Celexa, both of which increase Serotonin through different mechanisms. Throw DXM into the mix and the three have the potential to induce Serotonin syndrome.

Bouncingoffwall
12-08-11, 08:51 PM
Well, I'm on Desoxyn and Celexa, both of which increase Serotonin through different mechanisms. Throw DXM into the mix and the three have the potential to induce Serotonin syndrome.

I take it every night to mediate amphetamine tolerance. A moderately potent NMDA antagonist like DXM helps flush away the excess Ca++ ions responsible for tolerance and desensitization from the synaptic cleft. That, and magnesium.

But I never take them at the same time. I used to take Magnesium (a weaker NMDA antagonist) with my morning dose of Vyvanse, and it completely killed the effect. It just blocks it all together, preventing it from having any stimulating effect.

You need a lot more of both drugs to induce serotonin syndrome. I'm talking an entire bottle of cough syrup. Taking it at about 45mg a night is nothing to sweat about, and it helps me sleep. It switches off the effect of the Adderall pm dose, and I don't get "crashy."

I've had a similar experience in college to "serotonin syndrome" (don't ask :rolleyes:). Scary stuff.

Notepad
12-10-11, 11:50 AM
it's scary stuff, some ppl ended up on vent and put on paralytics so that when the convolution spell hits it won't break your bones and they can be sedated the heck out but can keep on breathing and what not. you also get to wear cute headband to monitor your brainzzzz :eek: