View Full Version : Wellbutrin and alcohol

zombieslayer
12-07-11, 04:21 PM
So about a week or so ago, I got switched from 10mgs-20mgs of Adderall daily to 200 mgs of Wellbutrin daily. My doctor said it can take months before I feel any difference, I already do kind of, but I know I have to be patient. My doctor knows I have a couple of drinks a week, I really don't drink much at all. He didn't advise I stop and it seemed like I'd have to be drinking a lot more for it to be a concern while taking Wellbutrin. I'm a pretty small person and I have little to no tolerance so I really can't drink that much anyway.

The question I'm wondering is, has anyone felt more of a desire to drink while on Wellbutrin? I've started drinking a little more, but I've been keeping myself in check about it so I also stop and cut back. What's weird is this "craving" for alcohol. Every day I want to drink and when I start, I don't want to stop, though I always can and do stop. I've just never had this issue with alcohol before and it started after I started taking Wellbutrin.

I don't feel depressed and Wellbutrin has really helped with my anxiety too. Before Wellbutrin, I would drink to shut my brain off for a bit(too many thoughts at once) and also because I had such high anxiety, which I felt that Adderall may have increased and being bombarded with worries and thoughts doesn't help either. I'm also not big on liquor, I usually have a glass of wine or a beer, mostly with dinner or dessert or something. Lately I feel the need to stop and purchase alcohol after work, like I can't unwind without it now or something. If I don't get any, I think about it.

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation on Wellbutrin?

Blueranne
12-07-11, 06:25 PM
When I switched from adderal to wellbutrin I noticed that it wasnt quite as effective at crubbing my desire for more of that certain *something*. Have you ever heard of reward difficiency syndrome (RDS). RDS is very closely linked to ADHD and also alcoholism. Maybe thats something you would be interested in reading up on.

You know that it is recommended to not drink while taking wellbutrin, right? If I remember correctly, wellbutrin affects liver functions somehow and that makes it harder to process the alcohol. For me this meant there was a delay in getting drunk. I could drink and drink and not feel anything, then all the sudden, BAM I was completely wasted and it lasted for what seemed like forever. But this might cause liver damage for others, or possibly something worse.

Sounds like something you should talk to your doc about.

feelme03
12-14-11, 01:21 PM
I do get a craving for alcohol as well and I've been taking Wellbutrin for almost a year now. Alcoholism does run in my family. I also crave sweets, I'm pretty sure I have this RDS and so does most of my family, we all seem to have the same type of cravings. I'm just wondering if there's something more you can add to get rid of those cravings?

Old School MBD
02-08-12, 09:07 AM
I am about to take my first dose.....intended use to stop smoking. Still taking guanfacine for adhd

Warning label says ok to drink.....tell your doctor if you plan to STOP drinking.

gatorADDe
02-22-12, 05:28 PM
I tried wellbutrin XL 300mg for ADD. I asked my doctor specifically about drinking while taking wellbutrin and he said that drinking in moderation and the occasional weekend drinking is fine. wellbutrin lowers the seizure threshold and adding alcohol on top of it increases it even more, but if you're not prone to seizures and you are taking wellbutrin within the safe dosage range drinking alcohol should be ok. I'd run it by your doctor to be sure though.

p.s I'm stopping wellbutrin because i dont get much help for my ADD. it's too weak of a stimulant for me. I also can't fall asleep at a decent time taking it.

PickMeUpRoadie
05-08-12, 05:04 PM
When I switched from adderal to wellbutrin I noticed that it wasnt quite as effective at crubbing my desire for more of that certain *something*. Have you ever heard of reward difficiency syndrome (RDS). RDS is very closely linked to ADHD and also alcoholism. Maybe thats something you would be interested in reading up on.

You know that it is recommended to not drink while taking wellbutrin, right? If I remember correctly, wellbutrin affects liver functions somehow and that makes it harder to process the alcohol. For me this meant there was a delay in getting drunk. I could drink and drink and not feel anything, then all the sudden, BAM I was completely wasted and it lasted for what seemed like forever. But this might cause liver damage for others, or possibly something worse.

Sounds like something you should talk to your doc about.

It really has pretty much nothing to do with your liver. Alcohol is a partial GABA agonist. GABA is a neurotransmitter that calms and slows down brain activity (benzodiazepines like xanax and such work similarly). If you regularly drink alcohol in large amounts or take pretty high amounts of benzos, then your brain turns down the production of GABA, in the attempt to bring it to a normal level. The warning with bupropion is "do not stop drinking or taking benzo[s] suddenly." Doing so would have the GABA levels drop far below a normal baseline, and increase the potential for seizures even when not on bupropion. On bupropion, the increased norepinephrine raises the chance for seizure even higher.

An occasional drink will do almost nothing to harm the body while on bupropion.

DepressedChopra
05-12-12, 12:45 PM
I can't find them anymore, but I thought the warnings that came from the pharmacy said, along with other things mentioned in this thread, that it combining alcohol and wellbutrin can amplify your depression.

MyPurpleSky
06-06-12, 07:22 PM
i've actually noticed less of a desire to drink b/c i think i have less anxiety on this med. but the first time i had drinks while on this med, i felt drunk pretty quick...like a different kind of drunk then i'd previously felt. for example, i was having a hard time texting on my phone b/c it was taking a lot of mental effort to form sentences. it was a really weird feeling that i've never experienced before.

minuss
09-27-12, 10:19 PM
I dont really drink and I cant say that i have gotten the full benefit of welbutrin. but one thing i remember very well was this wierd tast in the back of my mouth not dry mouth but a wierd tast that you wanted to wash down with water but could not.

Im not sure but it almost seemed that I wanted to put anything in my throat to alleviate the tast. My smoking doubled !

I was left with this constant urge.. I never figured out what the urge was. I tried to fill it with cigs, with water with food ect but it just would not go away.

Im not sure if it was the taste itself or somethning that came along with the side effects.

If i was one to drink I could defiantly assume my drinking would go up. Especially since drinks have such a strond tast that would over power the welbutrin tast.

It was like a craving for something that did not exist and i was looking for something to satisfy it with.

once the tast went away so did the cravings.

but today It was like i missed that awful tast. i was kind of craving it!

then again there i also quite smoking some time on it and if it was around the same time (after the tast ) it may explain it

whaddyacallit
09-28-12, 12:52 PM
The question I'm wondering is, has anyone felt more of a desire to drink while on Wellbutrin?On the contrary, when I took it for depression many years ago it markedly DEcreased my desire to drink.

noradd
10-01-12, 08:22 PM
I read on another forum that you must not drink anything at all because of the seizure risk. This scares me. I am totally used to drinking 1-2 beer at night to sleep better. :(