View Full Version : "Mood Disorder"

Andrew
05-31-03, 03:37 PM
So...I don't know if its me or others experience it too, but I often find myself getting stuck in a "mood". No matter what I do, I just can't shake it. I would be in the best of moods, and something would trigger a bad mood (maybe a disappointing phone call, etc.).

I have been struggling with keeping a mental & mood "balance" during a very challenging time in my life. I am usually in a good mood, but man, if I get in a rut, watch out!

joanrdtobe
05-31-03, 03:45 PM
Okay I can definitely relate to the stuck in a bad mood or being in an emotional "rut"....especially after being in a good place...it's true for me too....one little event or whatever will trigger that crappy mood and for the life of me, nothing will break it....it almost has to break on its own by magic.....I mean one can try journalling, exercise or even going to a "mall" or even talking about it, but in the end, it must go away on its own.....emotional balance you call it? That's TOUGH even with the meds...

They always say if you talk about what's going on or the bad feelings, that helps...but not so for me...:(

I'm sorry your in a rough space Andrew.

Andrew
05-31-03, 03:53 PM
Thanks Joan. You know what they say, "What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger"?

I would just as soon pass on more muscles and have an easier time with things, you know?

I don't write nearly as much as I probably should. I know its therapeutic and all, but I am trying to stay so focused on what I need to do to survive, and I get down on myself for doing other, less "productive" things, like this forum! lol.

Ah well...maybe being stronger isn't such a bad thing after all....:)

Lafnalot
05-31-03, 10:05 PM
I don't think journaling or any of the other therapies is meant to fix anything or to break the bad or upset time. It's meant to help one through the tough time and maybe learn something about oneself too.

Enviromentally induced depression can be very hard on the suffer as people say things like,"Its so unlike you " or"Keep your chin up" "Laugh and the world..." Depression, sadness or the like are things people need to be positive through but supportive. Feelings arent fact, but they sure as hell are an energy that needs to be dealt with.

Tara
05-31-03, 10:45 PM
I know for myself one thing that has helped me is allowing to actually "be depressed". There were days where I started to kick myself because I do have many good things in my life anf I didn't think that I had the right to feel so bad. But once I actually realized that I was emotional due to things that were going on and that I needed to actually let myself feel what I was feeling it began to help.

The "bad" feelings are still there and will still be there for me but I think actually feeling them myself is a whole lot better than all the time in the past that one way or another I didn't allow myself to feel them. Like so many other things I have learned the hard way that if I don't let my self feel my feelings they don't go away and will still be there.

Garry
06-01-03, 12:35 AM
Andrew
You seem to have employment problems
I can relate to them been there done that

I have a thought actully a lot of them that relate to a self employment venture that not only would be fun it would be educational and probally very profitable

If you are interested I will tell you my thought and you can think about it

I will not ask for 1 red cent from you for the idea as I wish to make no money from you

If you are interested let me know and i will type it all out for you

It deals with kids ADD information and kids having fun for either free or a donatnation on there parents part

My wife thinks its a good idea and if you do also then you would be welcome to explore it

It is also an idea that any one of us in the forums could usew

misclee
06-01-03, 09:03 AM
OH, when I get into a "mood" it is so frustrating. It is almost like watching a movie of myself. I can see how I'm feeling and acting but am powerless to do anything about it. It is sheer, unadulterated anger, and it can, like you've said, just pop up out of knowwhere, from something that I would usually let slide. Then, when I'm feeling like that, it seems my ADD symptoms get worse, which frustrates me even more and I get totally wound up like a maniac. While all of this is happening inside, I have to try to appear and act normal on the outside so as not to completely freak out my daughter. Very frustrating. I really don't like feeling that way. I'm normally a very calm, easy going person.

Andrew
06-01-03, 01:20 PM
Gary,

Sounds interesting! Sure :) I'm always looking for new ideas!!

Fire away :D....and thanks in advance!

fogleghorn
06-16-04, 06:00 PM
Big, I can understand where you are coming from. I get into moods that I cannot shake,and no matter what I do, it has to subside by itself. I dont know wheather it is my depression, ADD or just that fact that I am having bad hair day. I have been contributing it to the the situation that I have a home. For me, it is like having "The Brat" comming out. When this comes on, i do not care about anything,and i know that I should nt feel like this, and do not what to but the fact is that it is still there. Sometimes it is hard on the family life,and I cannot explain it to me wife, so I just go out to my shop til it subsides. Hope this helps. And thank you for all the help

Andrew
06-16-04, 06:25 PM
fogleghorn,

Thanks for your reply. I think part of it is that as an ADDer, I tend to hyperfocus on something, almost to the extreme. In my case, that includes emotional states. Now, I think part of this is undiagnosed bipolar disorder...which I'm working through now...but because its comorbid with my ADD...they tend to feed off each other. Add in my anxiety attacks, and you can have a pretty volatile result sometimes.

bigbowlindude
08-31-04, 12:25 AM
Hey Big, how long do your "moods" last? First I want to say, I don't think I am clinically depressed the time periods seem to be too short I don't feel good.
I seem to get into them too (mostly grumpy/sad) they are normally triggered by something, such as being crowded, things not going as I planned(sorry they seem to sound pretty selfish), after I get into a "mood" I am pretty much stuck in it for the rest of the day, after I wake up I normally feel better. Except for last week... I felt like it the whole week... longest ever.
Sorry, I seem to babble too much..... :)

wasted
09-06-04, 04:29 AM
It deals with kids ADD information and kids having fun for either free or a donatnation on there parents part

My wife thinks its a good idea and if you do also then you would be welcome to explore it

It is also an idea that any one of us in the forums could usew well i only had to hear "it deals with kids add information and kids having fun" to know it must be a great idea :D

I would love to know what you are planning, if you don't mind. I have a lot of time on my hands. Maybe it will motivate me (I hope) :) I am still mad at myself for not starting various support groups in high school that were so badly needed. Doing stuff like that, when it's important to you, can really make you feel good about yourself.

wasted
09-06-04, 04:35 AM
Hey Big, how long do your "moods" last? First I want to say, I don't think I am clinically depressed the time periods seem to be too short I don't feel good.
I seem to get into them too (mostly grumpy/sad) they are normally triggered by something, such as being crowded, things not going as I planned(sorry they seem to sound pretty selfish), after I get into a "mood" I am pretty much stuck in it for the rest of the day, after I wake up I normally feel better. Except for last week... I felt like it the whole week... longest ever.
Sorry, I seem to babble too much..... :) I think the question you should ask yourself is, how do you feel the rest of the time? The time you don't consider yourself to be in a grumpy/sad mood? Do you feel happy, or do you just feel sort of "ok" -- not good, but "not that bad"? The reason I ask is sometimes a person can have been depressed (not all depressive disorders are characterized by suicidal ideation) for so long they didn't even realize it was depression. and depression can make you really irritable. some people show that by taking their anger out on others, and other people turn the anger inwards. i'm probably much more likely to be affected by bad news, for example, than a "happy person" and i can be really moody and grumpy most of the time, and i think that maybe it's because subconsciously i am always wondering "why are all you people so happy? what's wrong with me?" and i resent them for it...? well i guess that isn't that "unconscious" if i just realized that i do that :o

bigbowlindude
09-07-04, 09:45 AM
Wow, Wasted. I never thought of it that way. I don't really know.. that is a tough one. I always try to look at the positive aspect of things most of the time. I try to keep everyone at work positive with my cheezy jokes.... but I don't know... thanks that'll give me something to chew on for awhile.

P_Stampy
09-22-04, 12:53 AM
i think i might be in one of them now. i was happy this morning.. i mean its my birhtday today so i should be happy.... i dont knowwhats wrong.. i just feel like crap