View Full Version : does this sound like fibromyalgia?

beetlejuice
12-12-11, 09:18 PM
Ok, so for about the past 5 years i have had some of the wierdest symtoms and no doctor or my psychyatrist seems to have a definitive answer. Mostly it's unusual aches and pains all over my body. muscle pain, joint pain, nerve pain, ect. wierd headaches and earaches that i can't really expain. also my head feels really foggy and i am unable to think clearly. I also constanly have muscle twitches almost anywhere on my body. they can involve groups of muscles or just one at a time. Tingling and prickling sensations on the skin. Various other symptoms that i don't really have time to put down. Anyway, does this sound like fibromyalgia? Could it be some kind of somatiform disorder? If anybody has any ideas about this I would like to hear them. Thanks

Lunacie
12-12-11, 09:31 PM
Did any of the doctors check for tender points? That's the most common check for fibromyalgia.

info and diagram here: http://www.fibro-myalgia.com/tenderpoints.html

Fortune
12-12-11, 09:49 PM
It could be fibromyalgia, and it could be other things. It's best to have other stuff excluded first (like rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, etc) before settling on FMS because many other conditions are degenerative and catching them as early as possible is generally a good thing.

I've read research that indicates the possibility that men are less likely to have tender points than women, so that may not be the best way to check it out. Seeing a rheumatologist might help, although they may not be up on the latest research.

Celeste
12-13-11, 10:19 AM
@beetlejuice - I can't tell you if it's fibromyalgia or not, but I've been having similar problems and my doctor hasn't been very helpful thus far. My symptoms are: joint pain (neck, elbows, wrists, knees, ankles, feet, hands), muscle pain, some strangle, tingling sensation under my skin that resembles (light) pain. I'm cold a lot and sometimes my hands even turn blue-ish. I'm tired all the time (though it's not always as bad as it is now) and I've had this problem since I was little. My back and neck hurt quite often, and when I sit or stand in the same position for a long time (well, 5-10+ minutes) my back burns and hurts and my legs feel stiff and hurt when I move into a different position. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night unable to move one of my legs. It's like a really bad cramp and it hurts a lot to move it.

I've been to the doctor numerous times and I've been tested for anemia quite a few times and I don't have it. I've also been tested for MS. Doctors always told me it was a psychological problem, because they couldn't find anything. But I've never been examined/tested properly. Anyway, when I first visited this fibromyalgia forum and read a bit more about it, I recognised the symptoms and I'm now wondering if I have this as well.

Does anyone know if being tired to thus extent could have anything to do with ADHD? I know (chronic?) fatigue could have something to do with ADHD but how bad are these symptoms for people who are 100% positive they don't have something like fibromyalgia or ME?

At times I feel so tired my muscles feel weak and I can barely get myself to get up and make myself something to eat. Is this a lack of motivation?

I think the problem is that things like fibromyalgia have symptoms that are quite similar to ADHD which probably makes it difficult to find out what's causing what problems.

Oops, this post is a but longer than I'd planned it to be. Sorry!

Beetlejuice, if you do find out what you have, I'm curious to know what it is and I'd love to hear how you're doing.

Good luck!

sarahsweets
12-13-11, 01:22 PM
@beetlejuice - I can't tell you if it's fibromyalgia or not, but I've been having similar problems and my doctor hasn't been very helpful thus far. My symptoms are: joint pain (neck, elbows, wrists, knees, ankles, feet, hands), muscle pain, some strangle, tingling sensation under my skin that resembles (light) pain. I'm cold a lot and sometimes my hands even turn blue-ish. I'm tired all the time (though it's not always as bad as it is now) and I've had this problem since I was little. My back and neck hurt quite often, and when I sit or stand in the same position for a long time (well, 5-10+ minutes) my back burns and hurts and my legs feel stiff and hurt when I move into a different position. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night unable to move one of my legs. It's like a really bad cramp and it hurts a lot to move it.

I've been to the doctor numerous times and I've been tested for anemia quite a few times and I don't have it. I've also been tested for MS. Doctors always told me it was a psychological problem, because they couldn't find anything. But I've never been examined/tested properly. Anyway, when I first visited this fibromyalgia forum and read a bit more about it, I recognised the symptoms and I'm now wondering if I have this as well.

Does anyone know if being tired to thus extent could have anything to do with ADHD? I know (chronic?) fatigue could have something to do with ADHD but how bad are these symptoms for people who are 100% positive they don't have something like fibromyalgia or ME?

At times I feel so tired my muscles feel weak and I can barely get myself to get up and make myself something to eat. Is this a lack of motivation?

I think the problem is that things like fibromyalgia have symptoms that are quite similar to ADHD which probably makes it difficult to find out what's causing what problems.

Oops, this post is a but longer than I'd planned it to be. Sorry!

Beetlejuice, if you do find out what you have, I'm curious to know what it is and I'd love to hear how you're doing.

Good luck!

I urge you and the OP to consider a lymes disease test. Symptoms are very similar to fibro and with my one daughter we never found a tick. All three of my kids have been treated 3 times.

Celeste
01-18-12, 06:11 AM
Thanks sarahsweets.

Some time has passed since I last posted here and I thought I'd post an update. I've seen my doctor, who, after a (thorough) blood test, sent me to the rheumatologist, who has officially diagnosed me with fibromyalgia.

So, beetlejuice, like Fortune said, it could be fibromyalgia and it could be something else. Either way, it's always good to see your doctor about this. Good luck!

SamuelG
03-23-12, 07:20 AM
Hey Celeste, in which part of Holland are you?

I have an appointment with my doctor next week. and after reading the possible symptoms of fibromyalgia tender points I am afraid that I will be diagnosed with it too :(

eeilyk
03-23-12, 08:01 AM
Could it be nerve damage?
I damaged my shoulder years ago at work by pulling on a pole with 130kg of material on the end over and over, now my shoulder is numb and it send pain through other areas of my body. I've seen doctors about it, had an ultrasound, X-ray and CT scan, what i needed was an MRI but i gave up because my doctor is hopeless! I sought the help of a friend who was a myotherapest and he stuck needles in my shoulders which helped bring back some of the feeling.. I've never been one to believe in alternative medicines but myotherapy is really good for aches and pains so maybe thats a good avenue of treatment if you can't find an answer with traditional medicine?

Pumbaa
03-23-12, 08:29 AM
Did any of the doctors check for tender points? That's the most common check for fibromyalgia.

info and diagram here: http://www.fibro-myalgia.com/tenderpoints.html

Thank for that link!!

I saw all the neck and shoulder points and when I go to the psysio, I nearly jump off the table when she works those points.

I touched some other others I could reach right now and they are all very sore to touch.

I have been tested for arthritis so I know it isn't that.

Lunacie
03-23-12, 09:33 AM
Thank for that link!!

I saw all the neck and shoulder points and when I go to the psysio, I nearly jump off the table when she works those points.

I touched some other others I could reach right now and they are all very sore to touch.

I have been tested for arthritis so I know it isn't that.

That sounds so familiar.

I forgot to mention that I've been mostly in remission since I began taking Omega 3 fish oil supplements 9+ years ago.

Of course, that's also when my divorce was final, so maybe loosing some of that stress helped relieve the FM too. :giggle:

Omega 3 doesn't have to be expensive, and might be worth trying.

I'd like to know if it makes a difference for anyone else or if I'm connecting dots that have no connection.