View Full Version : Restless Leg Syndrome

dopestep
12-13-11, 02:48 AM
i used to watch tv and laugh when i saw the commercials about RLS, or restless leg syndrome. it sounded like the most ridiculous condition to me.... until around the time i started researching adhd i discovered that i also have RLS. turns out theres a much greater risk of RLS for people with adhd.

anyone else have this annoying condition?

CheekyMonkey
12-13-11, 02:59 AM
I was wondering about that today actually. I couldn't decide if it's just because I'm fidgety in general or something else! I don't really get it while I try to sleep though, like I don't wake up with it. I do rub my feet together when I fall asleep, but nothing really fidgety.

dopestep
12-13-11, 03:05 AM
I was wondering about that today actually. I couldn't decide if it's just because I'm fidgety in general or something else! I don't really get it while I try to sleep though, like I don't wake up with it. I do rub my feet together when I fall asleep, but nothing really fidgety.

i do the same thing with my feet when im trying to sleep. also i dont wake up with it either but once i get up and sit at my desk my legs start bouncing almost immediately

basically if you stop doing that and get an uncomfortable feeling like when you have the urge to scratch an itch then its probably RLS.

Abi
12-13-11, 03:14 AM
I have it too.

It started about 2 1/2 years ago (age 27)... I take Klonopin for anxiety and I found that this medication eased the symptoms.

The RLS exacerbated at the beginning of this year (age 28.5) and is now not controllable with any of the meds I am presently on.

There is a tablet out there specifically for RLS. I forget its name. Wiki and Google are your friends.

Unmanagable
12-13-11, 03:24 AM
My mom swears the old wive's tale of putting a cake of ivory soap under the sheets at her leg area helps ease her pain - doesn't stop it, but said the relief is definitely noticable. Anyone ever tried that?

Abi
12-13-11, 03:25 AM
??? RLS is not painful.

Unmanagable
12-13-11, 03:31 AM
Hmmm....I don't know Abs. She may have misunderstood the doc if they were discussing RLS and leg cramps at the same time. I came across this after I posted my other message:

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2005/12/07/soap-under-the/

Atheos
12-13-11, 08:34 AM
Yes and it can be quite annoying. It feels like electricity running through the nerves of your legs and you have to move to shake it off.

Kaimei
12-13-11, 09:16 AM
I don't get it in my legs - it's in my left arm, hand, and shoulder. Drives me batty! It's this weird, crawling, hyper-awareness of bizarre discomfort. I'm forever trying to cram my hand between something - usually the mattress and the wall - because pressure seems to help alleviate it. Then, of course, my arm gets cold, because it's an outside wall, or hot, depending on the season.

I described to a friend of mine with Tourette's, and he said it sounded like I was describing the onset of a tic, only it stops before the action becomes involuntary.

namazu
12-13-11, 10:48 AM
anyone else have this annoying condition?
Yes, though I tend to think of it as a manifestation of hyperactivity more than a separate condition -- I have enough labels as it is! For me it also involves my arms, though the legs were what used to keep my significant other up at night...

Exercise and stretching in the evening, followed by a warm shower also help with relaxation and reducing leg stiffness, but they don't make the restlessness go away.

I started taking clonidine for my ADHD and that has helped a lot with this specific problem, as has methylphenidate in the evening.

kylebasdeo
12-13-11, 03:41 PM
It might mean your dosage is too high. I had it and then I lowered my dosage and it went away.

dopestep
12-13-11, 05:16 PM
It might mean your dosage is too high. I had it and then I lowered my dosage and it went away.

im not on any medications, ive had hyperactive legs as long as i can remember. i can even remember having this back in elementary school

crashbang
12-13-11, 08:15 PM
I have had this occur rarely. Not sure where it stems from, or how to make it stop when it occurs.
Definitely think more research is needed on this condition.