You will need:
Stew pot
Frying pan
Slotted spoon
Knife
Cutting board
Ladel
Measuring cup

Place potatoe's, celery, minced garlic in the pot add water until it's about 2 inches over your vegtables. Boil until vegtables are fork tender (do not fret if some of your potatoe's break apart this actually enhances the flavor). Also, remember to watch your water level you want just enough to cover the vegtables so they don't scorch to the pan.

When your vegtable are done turn the heat to low and start frying your bacon until it's cooked properly. Add cooked bacon to the pot saving the grease. Pour the grease into a measuring cup adding the flour and stir well until there are no chunks. Slowly pour flour mixture into the pot while stirring your vegtables.

Now comes the hard part I forgot to measure exactly how much milk I poured into the pot, big mistake that is easily remedied. I generally add half a gallon (I have 5 people in my family who love potatoe soup and eat it like it's going out of style and usually someone shows up if they know I'm making soup). Continue cooking on a low heat for about 30 minutes or until soup is heated thru. Then add garlic salt and pepper to taste. Add cheese and cook another 10 minutes. Serve right away.

Hints:
Recipes are adaptable and meant to be played with so good luck.

When you have the finished result and you prefer thicker soup take some of the broth and add more flour to it stirring very well and slowly stir it back into the pot. If your family prefers thinner soup add a little more milk.

When I've made more then my family can eat I set some aside before adding the milk and cheese to freeze later. I freeze it in separate single serve containers. When you reheat it all you have to do is add a little milk and cheese and your ready to go.

My family likes it served with homemade garlic bread or BLT's.

You can also substitute the bacon for ham cut into 1 1/2" squares.

Like I said please keep in mind that this is a recipe I have made for years by heart so be kind if it doesn't turn out the way you expected and you can pm me anytime if you have trouble I can help you solve.

caj
10-05-04, 03:04 PM
Hum, I'm feeling guilty because I never did get around to making my potato leek soup the other day (forgot the kids had a school carnival), however, after reading the recipe (sounds yummy) I am thus inspired to go forth and cook it today!! Bon Appetite!!

Nucking_Futs
10-05-04, 04:06 PM
Good luck is all I can say lol

Spirit
10-11-04, 01:39 PM
Mmmm sounds good Futzy..I needed a new soup to make. :D

I make tator soup also but I put egg dumplins in it. I guess I need to share that one also. LoL

Nucking_Futs
10-11-04, 02:15 PM
lol yes it does sound good and gives me an idea for supper. Chicken and dumplings it is for supper tonight. thanks LaDonna

Spirit
10-11-04, 02:19 PM
Yvw futzy anytime ;)

RhapsodyInBlue
10-12-04, 12:59 PM
MMMmmmmmm, sounds good:D Have you a pumpkin soup recipe? **pushing my luck here**:D

Nucking_Futs
10-12-04, 09:45 PM
I don't know for sure...I like to cook so I'm alway's trying new and different things. I'll have to look thru my collection of cookboods and magazines which I need to do anyways as I'm starting to convert them to the computer and backing up the files on disk since they take up much less room. Right now I have a shelf in my kitchen full of cookbooks and a bedroom closet is full. lol I probably have more then I need but when I got married I couldn't boil water and I do mean that literally.