View Full Version : Newly Diagnosed and Newly on Focalin IR

xXMimmXx
12-13-11, 05:26 PM
:-) I finally have been diagosed at 38 years old and was started on Focalin IR 10mg this morning. I took my first one at 10am. I'm not sure what I think about it yet. It's easier for me to stay focused on what I'm doing and prioritizing is easier. And those little things that I have to put to the side in order to get a larger, higher priority project done, I don't completely forget about. I was so suprised when it was time to go to lunch, I didn't have 5 different things that I had completely forgot about.

I'm not sure if I notice "feeling" any different, but I feel like all those little things that I see out of the corner of my eye don't completely throw me off. Conversations around me are fading into the background, and I don't feel this uncontrollable need to butt into them!

I started noticing a little bit of a tapering after about 4 1/2 hours, so I took another one just about 20 minutes ago.

I wish I would have had something like this 30 years ago, when I got paddled in school for daydreaming. I wish I had this 20 years ago when I could NEVER finish homework in highschool. I wish I had this 1 year ago when it took me 5 hours to read one chapter in my college classes.

But I'm optimistic. This is my first med, and my doctor seems to be interested in working with me to try different things. He knows that I'm a Medical Assistant (a nurse in a doctor's office) and will pretty much trust me to come up with different ideas or meds that I want to try with a pretty long leash to tytrate if I want. I'll keep y'all informed with what I do everyday and how I feel.

I know that it seems to take about 45 min to an hour for me to really feel the full effects of the Focalin, but I'm only on 10mg for now. I have so little experience with this med in my job (everyone's on Adderall or Vyvanse) so I'm not sure what to expect. Is 10mg a small dosage? Is it normal to start with if it's the IR and not the XR?

Any tips or advise is very welcome! The more I learn about this myself, the better I can not only help myself and those on the forums, but the more I can help my own patients. Thanks for listening!!!

G252013
12-13-11, 06:15 PM
thanks for posting your experience, 10MG was always quite potent for me, but some take up to 70MG.

We all wish we had discovered or explored the route of treatment sooner, so your not alone. But I know what you mean.

You using brand or generic?

xXMimmXx
12-13-11, 09:13 PM
I'm taking generic. Does there seem to be a big difference between the two? What are you taking?

G252013
12-13-11, 09:56 PM
I've tried both, seems as if the generic is more potent. But like everything drug related, results are usually unique to the individual

StoicNate
12-13-11, 10:27 PM
Focalin is the potent/stronger side of Ritalin. It's about 2 times as strong.
In women Focalin is stronger than it is in men. (Lol I worded that a little odd)

Usually the IR form is more affordable and is easier to find the right dose than the XR.

xXMimmXx
12-15-11, 11:24 AM
Sorry that I wasn't able to update yesterday. Things got a little busy at work.

I decided to try 2 in the morning yesterday (my doctor has given me a pretty long leash when it comes to taking meds), and I think that was a little more than I needed. It gave me a mildly annoying headache that didn't seem to want to go away, and I just felt a little too jittery. However, I took it at 6:30 am and didn't need another until like 2pm. Yeah, definately a little too much.

Yesterday, I had my son evaluated with his pediatrician (my son is 13), and yes, he's ADHD (I figured as much), but the doc and I determined that he doesn't need meds at this point. He's been pretty good about keeping his behavior in check in school for the most part, and his grades are A's and B's. His biggest problem is with homework and at home and socially. However, the doctor and I agreed that next year he starts high school and is taking 2 honors classes, so he might need some help then.

Anyhow, I digress...I only took 1 this morning and I feel great. No headache, no jitters, focusing well and the "brain fog" is gone. I'm not as bored at work and not eating out of boredom (desk job) and I don't feel the need to make excuses to get up and walk around all teh time. I feel as if I'm more productive and I'm not forgetting about the little less priority tasks. So far so good. :-)

StoicNate
12-15-11, 12:01 PM
I'm happy that things are going well. :)
Seems like you found the right dose for you. Today I'm going to my doctor and will ask for meds. I will ask if I can try Focalin IR (and get the generic).

hollywood
12-15-11, 02:57 PM
that's great that your finding something thats lasting long and doing it's job. How do you rate the comparison of comparing the way in which focalin either the xr or the ir work in comparison and longevity versus concerta or any other ritalin formulations. I feel as though concerta works a bit longer but I'm definitely less accurate and less focused as a whole with focalin while with concerta it seems to come in waves and push through alot more of the day.

G252013
05-24-12, 08:49 PM
generic focalin is just simply inconsistent

LauraF915
06-01-12, 07:37 PM
I've never tried the IR (I'm on XR) and have been at 20 mg for the past 4-5 years. I briefly went up to 30 mg when I was studying for the bar (and couldn't take breaks so I started to feel the effectiveness go down).

I've had the same experience as you with it generally taking 45-an hour to feel the effects of the medicine.

Yellow
06-10-12, 10:20 AM
70mgs at one dosing!?

G252013
12-07-12, 10:40 PM
70mgs at one dosing!?

yep, could never imagine that high a dose. The 10MG is almost too much for me sometimes :lol:

hollywood
12-20-12, 01:11 AM
10 mg wimp. 70 is way too much.

G252013
12-20-12, 09:26 AM
10 mg wimp. 70 is way too much.

10MG BOSS you mean? C'mon son!

Tisha
12-21-12, 10:24 AM
Laura,

How did you feel on the 30mg vs. the 20? My son, age 16, has been on Focalin XR for 3 years (20 mg) and it was doing well. The doctor said that Focalin has the least unpleasant side effects as others. He hasn't felt "shut down, quiet, zombielike" while on this med. However, I noticed that his grades are slipping quite a bit.

He's 16 now, not 13 and I think it's time to titrate up. His height, weight, etc. I'm think we should try 30mg. He's an outgoing, happy, friendly teen (rare that that is, so don't want to change it!! LOL!), and he doesn't want to not feel that way either.

To the original poster..10mg isn't strong, either is 20mg for that matter. Good luck with everything!

Tisha