View Full Version : You and the weather -- tolerance of changes in temperature.

Abi
12-14-11, 05:07 AM
I can only tolerate a temperatures in a very narrow range, from about 10 C to 24 C [ 50 F to 75 F ].

Anything below or above is INTOLERABLE to me.

I can't do anything; I cant engage in conversation, I can barely THINK. WHen its hot I can't sleep.

Right now its a relatively moderate 25C [78 F] with perhaps 70% humidity, and I am SUFFERING

Does anyone else find they can only be comfortable in a very narrow temperature range??

What about your tolerance for humidity?

Driver
12-14-11, 06:37 AM
I can only tolerate 10C-35C, 40%-60% humidity. If it's outside that range, I get very irritable as I'm not comfortable in my skin.

sarek
12-14-11, 09:07 AM
I dont much like heat, I get distinctly uncomfortable above 30 celsius but that may have to do with the prevailing humidity levels in my country.
I used to be reasonably cold tolerant but of late I have found that to be less so.

Unmanagable
12-14-11, 09:58 AM
I definitely prefer the "happy medium". If it's below 50 F or above 80 F, I become uncomfortable. Although I'd rather be too hot than too cold any day. I feel almost paralyzed when it's snowy or icy and I have to go out in it to drive to work and try to walk on ice.

Did I mention I'm not very graceful, either? I hate that sh*t. I used to think being considered "essential" was a pretty cool thing, until they told me it meant I had to be at work, no excuses, in inclement weather.

I'm outside a lot at work traveling from building to building with students, so when winter arrives, I wear a whole freakin' load of laundry to work just to try to stay warm.

I definitely prefer warmth. I can splash water in my face, use something to fan with, etc. to get some relief. Being cold is physically painful to me.

ginniebean
12-14-11, 12:45 PM
My range is similar -10c - 24c outside of those boundaries I get more irratabilith.

Luvmybully
12-14-11, 12:50 PM
I get paralyzed by cold also, I just can not function.

As I get older though that threshold for cold has definitely lowered. I actually swam this past summer-on a regular basis! There were a few times in the hottest part of summer where I had to actually get out of the pool to cool off, the water was so warm. This is unheard of for me, I haven't used our pool more than 5 times total in over 7 years because I can't deal with being even slightly cold.

I guess this means I am 'officially' getting old!

blgw99
12-14-11, 01:34 PM
I can't function in cold either. It does not matter if I dress for the weather or not, I'm still cold.
Heat does not bother me that much, but I also prefer between 10 and 25 degrees.

sarek
12-14-11, 03:04 PM
Its a little confusing to see Celsius and Fahrenheit used in this thread. Can I interest anyone in going to Kelvin?

Nautilus
05-05-12, 01:26 PM
I can't stand cold or humidity. Dry heat with a breeze and water to drink is ok. I am the first person around me to be affected by a temperature change. I am the last person to take off my coat. I put cold items (like pop cans) on areas of my skin where blood vessels are near - like inside of my wrists - to cool down when it gets hot.

silivrentoliel
05-05-12, 09:59 PM
I'm generally OK w/ cold weather, I prefer it to hot, but summers here are intolerable and so humid it's hard to breathe sometimes. I do not do well then. I am cranky. Ok, honestly, I turn into a massive *****, lol, but same thing as cranky to me.

As far as humidity goes, I'd prefer NONE, but as long as it's not 100% humid outside, I don't care. I'm ok if it's not too hot out... and by too hot, I mean I don't wanna sweat under my bangs, shirt OR jeans. And yes I wear jeans in the summer.

However, if you give me a pool or a decently clean body of water in which to play, I'm ok w/ whatever the temp may be (during the summer, lol) as long as the water is nice :D

I also cannot sleep unless the house is COLD. I freeze poor DH out of the house a lot of evenings if he goes to bed after me. Of course it has a lot to do w/ the fact that we have to shut our doors to keep the cats out, and our room doesn't circulate air well.

Oh, and I have to have circulating air at all times. I get claustrophobic w/o it- even outside.

gracious_mama
05-06-12, 12:33 AM
I can tolerate cold just fine but unfortunatley for me I live in texas so it's summertime like 9 months out of the year here....and I HATE the heat. Cannot stand it. I cannot tolerate it. Whatever I can get done in the few less hot months here my motivation dissipates as soon as the heat hits and I become completely lethargic and useless (moreso than usual)

tudorose
05-06-12, 04:33 AM
We're coming off a long hot summer so right now my tolerance is about 18C to 33C. I just can't handle the cold. People I talk to at work from the other side of country laugh when I say it's cold when the min temp is 17C. Over there that's their max.

Fortune
05-06-12, 05:01 AM
Once it reaches 21 degrees C/70 degrees F I start to feel too hot. By 75 or so I am sometimes soaking from sweat.

I am comfortable wearing a t-shirt and jeans in temperatures as low as freezing. I often don't shiver.

Drewbacca
05-06-12, 12:08 PM
I don't like the cold, anything below maybe 270 degrees kelvin is too cold and I don't want to function. Anything above 300 degrees kelvin is overwhelming. If it's below room temperature, I don't even want to get out of bed. Washington State weather is the ideal for me, where it is rarely below freezing but you don't get the extreme summer heat that often.

plank80
05-06-12, 12:24 PM
I'm always turning on the heating then opening windows or taking clothes off and putting them on just to be at the right temperature. It drives people nuts.

Fuzzy12
05-06-12, 03:50 PM
I'm always turning on the heating then opening windows or taking clothes off and putting them on just to be at the right temperature. It drives people nuts.

I'm very rarely happy with the temperature either. I can't take heat. It's so unpleasant, I hate sweating and drives me absolutely crazy. In general, I've got a rather narrow range of temperatures I'm comfortable in. Around 20 C with plenty of fresh air. Stuffiness drives me barmy as well.

However, it depends a lot on what I'm doing. When I'm at home or in the office then I need the temperature to be exactly correct (about 20 degrees) but when I'm outside or doing something outdoorsy, I don't mind so much if it's extremely cold. I also love snow and winter so I'll put up with the cold temperatures. The coldest temperature I've ever been in was about -25 and that was painfully cold (in spite of being dressed appropriately) but the surroundings were so beautiful that the pain was definitely worth it.

stef
05-06-12, 04:29 PM
- 5 to 25 (I guess 25F to about just over 80 F)
And minimum humidity!

we don't have air conditioning, there is this point where the apartment just won't cool off in summer, this makes me insane.

it doesn't usualy go much below freezing here in winter but if it does, it's just cold and drafty everywhere because nothing is built for cold weather.

Raven01
05-06-12, 08:08 PM
It's confusing for me, I say I like the cold weather but when it is cold (like now going into winter) I complain about how cold I am. I have to rug up or sit by the fire. It's a love hate thing. I think I like the stimulation of the cold, I feel more vital.
I cannot live in a hot/tropical climate. It drives me crazy!

Lisa_Mac
10-18-12, 11:25 AM
I dislike extremes as well. My most comfortable, ideal temp would be about 28C/83F.

Fuzzy12
10-18-12, 11:30 AM
I can only tolerate a temperatures in a very narrow range, from about 10 C to 24 C [ 50 F to 75 F ].

Anything below or above is INTOLERABLE to me.

I can't do anything; I cant engage in conversation, I can barely THINK. WHen its hot I can't sleep.

Right now its a relatively moderate 25C [78 F] with perhaps 70% humidity, and I am SUFFERING

Does anyone else find they can only be comfortable in a very narrow temperature range??

What about your tolerance for humidity?

Me too!!! :eek:

My range is 20-25deg. I freeze below that and boil above that. And I absolutely, absolutely, absolutely hate humidity (even though it's better for your skin :rolleyes:)

I love snow though. I don't mind walking in temperatures below zero as long as there's snow (preferably with the sun shining). I still freeze but the snow makes it worth it. Actually, I can deal with colder temperatures but I hate heat. And I hate rain though I love storm clouds. They are beautiful, in particular if the sun is shining through them. What I just can't stand is if everything is just uniformly gray. :mad:

Fortune
10-18-12, 11:34 AM
Today I blocked my vent to keep the heated air from blowing into my room.

The weather is really nice temperature-wise. Unfortunately, being out in the rain drives me crazy.

Lisa_Mac
10-18-12, 11:50 AM
[quote=Fuzzy12;1383082]Me too!!! :eek:

And I absolutely, absolutely, absolutely hate humidity (even though it's better for your skin :rolleyes:)

I also hate humidity. It makes my hair go frizzy. :eek: I also hate extreme dry heat like in Namibia. It makes my hair go dry and unmanagable and full of static. Cape Town has the ideal climate in that regard.

Lunacie
10-18-12, 11:57 AM
Today I blocked my vent to keep the heated air from blowing into my room.

The weather is really nice temperature-wise. Unfortunately, being out in the rain drives me crazy.

Do you have a vent with levers that close or open?

If not, be very careful what you block the air with.

Some things can get hot enough to burn.

You probably know this, but every year I hear of a house fire caused by
blocked heater vents.

Hyperman87
11-08-12, 04:57 PM
I had no idea this was common among people with ADHD. I can't stand anything below about 60F & above 73-74F. Anything else makes me really uncomfortable. Feeling cold leaves me with a feeling of Paralysis also.Imagine that!:)