View Full Version : Ignorant about LDs.

full_throttle
12-15-11, 10:01 AM
I am very ignorant when it comes to LDs. I always picture a man in his 40's covering up the fact he can't read and then a soft hearted person teaching him how to read secretly- must have been from a TV show I watched.

I have always had trouble with math. I had to take so many remedial classes in high school and college. I always did okay with word problems, because I could some how always figure it out. When it comes to straight numbers, it takes me a while to figure out the answers.

Recently, I have realized that I have trouble reading (counting) the same numbers in a lump with no place markers. i.e. 411111- 56-77777. It seems like the 1s and 7s shift. I have to count them individually to make sure there are 5 and not 4 or 6. With place makers 77,777 I have no trouble. When reading charts I also frequently shift rows or columns mid way and end up in an incorrect line. I also have problems with opposites- right/ left, in Japanese characters and English alphabet ち/さ, ヨ/E,し/J. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is just a executive function mishap or if this is an LD? I am almost afraid to ask, because I don't want to add another problem to my plate.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you much.:)

namazu
12-15-11, 10:58 AM
I am very ignorant when it comes to LDs. I always picture a man in his 40's covering up the fact he can't read and then a soft hearted person teaching him how to read secretly- must have been from a TV show I watched.

I have always had trouble with math. I had to take so many remedial classes in high school and college. I always did okay with word problems, because I could some how always figure it out. When it comes to straight numbers, it takes me a while to figure out the answers.

Recently, I have realized that I have trouble reading (counting) the same numbers in a lump with no place markers. i.e. 411111- 56-77777. It seems like the 1s and 7s shift. I have to count them individually to make sure there are 5 and not 4 or 6. With place makers 77,777 I have no trouble. When reading charts I also frequently shift rows or columns mid way and end up in an incorrect line. I also have problems with opposites- right/ left, in Japanese characters and English alphabet ち/さ, ヨ/E,し/J. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is just a executive function mishap or if this is an LD? I am almost afraid to ask, because I don't want to add another problem to my plate.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you much.:)
It's impossible to say based on a paragraph alone, but...

It doesn't necessarily sound like an ADHD-specific executive functioning thing, unless you attribute it to inattention and/or to difficulty holding a large number of "chunks" of info in mind (which it could be related to).

There are also various visual-processing/perception/memory sorts of pathways (some linked to ADHD, some less obviously so) that may have more to do with right/left confusion, getting things out of order, etc.

(Actually, the whole executive-dysfunction-in-LD thing -- as opposed to just an indicator of ADHD -- is really pretty murky, and an active area of research...)

Have a spin around LDOnline and look at their "processing disorders" section under LD In Depth (I think). And/or use your favorite search engine to look up "visual sequencing" (getting things in order) and "visual form constancy" (handling shapes in different orientations, etc.) as well as some of the other flavors of visual-spatial processing issues.

Also, look up (visual) "tracking", which describes how the eyes follow along a line of text.

If it's not causing you major problems, I don't see why you'd need to label yourself, necessarily, but getting a feel for the specific processes that may underlie some of these "glitches" might be useful/interesting to you.

full_throttle
12-15-11, 06:43 PM
Thank you very much, Namazu. I will check out the leads you gave me. You probably right, I don't need to label myself, I just need to find solutions for these problems. It's interesting how many things seem to emerge with better self-awareness. Thanks again.