View Full Version : celexa, dex, and adhd

irishgirl49
12-15-11, 06:01 PM
So the first time I went to a psychiatrist, it was at the urging of my psychologist who thought I may have ADHD.

The psychiatrist didn't really listen to me and told me I had anxiety with a tinge of depression and prescribed celexa.

The next time I went back, I explained that my anxiety comes from ADHD. I didn't mention that I hadn't started the celexa, but she never explicitly asked. She prescribed me another 3 months of celexa and 2 months of dexedrine IR.

Anyway, I start the dexedrine IR. I feel awesome. My anxiety is completely manageable and I don't feel the least bit depressed (I never considered myself depressed either).

I do not want to take anything besides the dex, but I am afraid of my psychiatrist getting angry with me for not taking the celexa and only taking the dex. I don't want her to stop prescribing me the dex, it has helped my life so much recently.

So... my main question here, is what should I tell my psychiatrist? Anyone have any experience with telling a psychiatrist that you don't want to take one of the drugs that they prescribed?

Balzac
12-23-11, 03:24 PM
You should probably consider finding a new Pdoc...one that actually listens to you.

Dexedrine also has antidepressant properties which explains why you feel the way you do on it. Dexedrine used to be called the "basic antidepressant" back in the 1950s.

Good luck and remember you need to tell your Pdoc what you are feeling. It sounds like the one you have now just wants to get you in and out as fast as possible.

irishgirl49
12-24-11, 03:51 PM
Thank you! I will definitely look into finding a new doctor!

CheekyMonkey
12-25-11, 03:00 AM
You are allowed to actively participate in your treatment! You are the one that has to live with the meds. You have every right to say something and ask questions. If they don't like it, find a new pdoc!

CrazyMama123
01-08-12, 09:51 PM
I totally understand. I take Vyvanse 50mg daily for my ADD and Celexa 30mg for my Anxiety, not depression. I really believe my Anxiety is related to my ADD. When I am on top of my ADD symptoms, I feel so much better about life and my anxiety is really decreased. My Dr. switched me from Adderall XR 30mg to Vyvance XR 50mg about 6 months ago. It seemed to help at first, and for sure helped with the headaches I was experiencing with "the crash". Lately, it seems to work for about 3-4 hours and then I am in "La-La Land" again. Not only that, but I am numb and totally don't care or have the motivation to to Anything! I am really thinking of going back to my Adderall. Never tried or heard of Dex....what is that and how does it work?

hollywood
01-09-12, 03:21 PM
Celexa did that to me as well

cameron90
01-19-12, 07:08 PM
You are the patient, and you have a right to make suggestions and participate in your treatment. Otherwise, you would be a... guinea pig? The general rule is that the less medications you can manage on, the better. If you feel comfortable with just the dex, then tell your psychiatrist that. If the dex begins to lose some effect, dosages can be corrected, and new meds added, but those are things that you will deal with when you have to. Glad to hear that you feel better!