View Full Version : Hyperfocus causing insomnia?

AniDragon
12-18-11, 02:02 AM
I often find myself loosing track of time when doing just about anything, and staying up far later than I should. I'm often awake until 2 or 3 am just because I don't realise what time it is. And then when I do notice, I'll say "Oh! Wow, that's late! I should finish what I'm doing, and then go to bed..."

And hour later, same scenario. *headdesk*

Once I actually get to bed, though, I sleep fine. So it's not like something like sleeping pills would help.

People have told me "get a timer or alarm!", but that involves needing to remember to set the timer or alarm. (My morning alarm clock only allows one alarm time, and I have to keep it where it is or I'll forget to change it back)

Anyone else have this problem? How do you manage it?

gatorADDe
12-18-11, 02:17 AM
watches seem unnecessary nowadays since cell phones basically act like watches, but it may help since it's always attached to you. Avoiding the work that you're hyperfocusing on at night could also help you unwind at an earlier time.

AniDragon
12-18-11, 02:27 AM
Problem is that it's EVERYTHING. Almost everyone I know that I've talked to tells me to stop going online so late, or to stop playing games so late, but the same thing happens if I read, write, draw, or play with the cat. I've even had it happen a couple times when I was cleaning! lol.