View Full Version : Getting the medication in Australia makes me feel I am a criminal

standtall
12-18-11, 06:47 PM
Hi,

I am NOT sure if many people feel the same way but I hate going to pharmacy to get my ADHD medication for many reason.

- The first pharmacy refused to give me the medicine. They said I should go to one close to my home or where I have previously bought any prescription drugs from so that they know me as a customer beforehand.

- This pharmacy (close to my home) have been dispensing my medication for 3 months but they make a huge fuss. Every time I have to wait 20 minutes while the whole staff runs around whispering in each others' ears and then calling my doctors. Twice I was asked to come next day because they couldn't get hold of my doctor on phone.

- This last time, I was told that Pharmacy Board was cracking down on people using abusing medicine (Why did I need to know that?). They also told me that they don't accept prescriptions the way my Doctor writes them but they won't tell me how they want them written? They said they will NOT dispense the medication unless Doctor office faxes them a new one which took 3 days while I was without medication.

I appreciate the fact that medicine is abused by some people but that doesn't mean they should treat everyone with suspicion and withhold medication from someone who genuinely needs it. This also goes to show that neither pharmacy board nor chemists really believe that ADHD patients need these medications to function well - would they hold medication for someone for a heart disease???

This really makes my sick - the worst part of my ADHD treatment so far.

StoicNate
12-18-11, 06:56 PM
I have had one Pharmacy do that about a year or two ago.

The Pharmacist thought my doctor written me too many tablets per day and didn't want to fill my prescription. They called my doctor and inquired about it.
My doctor said the prescription was valid, but the Pharmacist kept eyeing me as if I was a drug abuser.

In the US, Pharmacies has the right to decline filling a prescription based on the beliefs of the Pharmacist even if the prescription is valid...which is weird to me.

emploding
12-18-11, 08:15 PM
I feel your pain, I've realised lately that being ADD in Australia is not very plesant!

Seriously, if your doctor prescribes it the pharmacy has no right to deny it, it's not up to them! Idiots :/

babidi
12-22-11, 06:55 PM
The psych told me use the closest pharmacy to my home.

I just wait 3 to 5 minutes for my Dexamphetamine here in Sydney. They're close to my home. The staff are really nice. I've been going to them for a couple of years.

Your pharmacist shouldn't be calling the doctor every time you pick up! I would understand them calling the doc when you get a new dex script.

Canuck223
12-22-11, 07:02 PM
While this sucks, my suggestion is to do precisely as the first pharmacy suggested. Use the pharmacy closest to your home for everything.

Nothing smooths out a relationship like time and experience.

Driver
12-22-11, 07:17 PM
I know your pain, but I'm not experiencing it in the same way.

I've always gone to the pharmacist next door to my shrink, or the pharmacist just down the road from where I live, so I've always had my scripts filled without blinking.

That said, my shrink has up and retired on me. I was told that I could just take these two referral letters (one from my current psych, and one from a consulting psych, which confirmed my diagnosis) to my GP and I'd get my dex. But apparently they changed they way things are done and I need to see two new psychs (one to diagnose, and one to confirm) before I can start receiving scripts for dex from my GP. And as it's Christmas, I haven't been able to even get in contact with a new psych to even make an appointment.

So I'll be going dex free for a few months...

ladythoms
12-22-11, 07:21 PM
Sorry they're giving you trouble. Being looked at and questioned like that never feels good.

I have very little experience with this, but did notice that my ADHD med Rx format is different than my other Rx's.

My ADHD med Rx is printed on security paper to prevent photocopying. Where most other Rx's are not on the special paper.

MissesS
01-25-12, 11:39 PM
Yes I experienced this also unfortunately.
Pharmacist couldn't even say the word of my medication.
She looked at me like I was a crim.

I'm due to get another prescription from my dr this week. I definitely won't be going back there.

spunkysmum
01-26-12, 12:02 AM
Hi,

I am NOT sure if many people feel the same way but I hate going to pharmacy to get my ADHD medication for many reason.

- The first pharmacy refused to give me the medicine. They said I should go to one close to my home or where I have previously bought any prescription drugs from so that they know me as a customer beforehand.

- This pharmacy (close to my home) have been dispensing my medication for 3 months but they make a huge fuss. Every time I have to wait 20 minutes while the whole staff runs around whispering in each others' ears and then calling my doctors. Twice I was asked to come next day because they couldn't get hold of my doctor on phone.

- This last time, I was told that Pharmacy Board was cracking down on people using abusing medicine (Why did I need to know that?). They also told me that they don't accept prescriptions the way my Doctor writes them but they won't tell me how they want them written? They said they will NOT dispense the medication unless Doctor office faxes them a new one which took 3 days while I was without medication.

I appreciate the fact that medicine is abused by some people but that doesn't mean they should treat everyone with suspicion and withhold medication from someone who genuinely needs it. This also goes to show that neither pharmacy board nor chemists really believe that ADHD patients need these medications to function well - would they hold medication for someone for a heart disease???

This really makes my sick - the worst part of my ADHD treatment so far.

It's funny that they are so fussy but that they required your doctors office to fax them a new prescription. Here, I cannot get my Adderall unless the prescription is hand-delivered or mailed to the pharmacy - faxed RXs will not be accepted.

Have you tried asking your doctor what pharmacy they would recommend? Presumably if they did it would be a pharmacy that knows and has a good rapport with your doctor. That would be a big help.

spunkysmum
01-26-12, 12:06 AM
In the US, Pharmacies has the right to decline filling a prescription based on the beliefs of the Pharmacist even if the prescription is valid...which is weird to me.

You know, I just assumed that mostly applied to pharmacists who didn't believe in birth control or morning after pills. I never thought about pharmacists declining to fill prescriptions such as ADD meds because they didn't believe in taking them. Food for thought.

spunkysmum
01-26-12, 12:25 AM
While this sucks, my suggestion is to do precisely as the first pharmacy suggested. Use the pharmacy closest to your home for everything.

Nothing smooths out a relationship like time and experience.

Sometimes initial problems that seem like an aggravating hassle at the pharmacy can even later turn out to have a positive flip side.

The pharmacy I go to now didn't have Adderall in my specific dosage at first. They had to get some from another pharmacy the first time, and even after that I had to take 1 1/2 20mg pills twice a day because they didn't stock 30mg pills, since they didn't have any demand. But they always did after that, and I believe they began stocking them basically for my benefit.

Well, now that there's a shortage, what was a pain in the butt in the beginning, i.e. their not having the size pills I needed, I believe is working in my favor now. I strongly suspect that the reason I am still able to get my pills is that I am probably the only customer drawing on their supply. I have to pay a lot more for it, but it's better than not being able to get it at all.

tudorose
01-26-12, 05:53 AM
I hate going to the pharmacy with a passion. Especially as I get my kids meds at the same time. They're all the same - useless. I feel like I have to brace myself for a fight everytime I go.