View Full Version : Shire Seeks Support from Europe on Vyvanse

anonymouslyadd
12-18-11, 08:24 PM
I'm on an ADD news kick at the moment, and I found this article (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/12/us-shire-amphetamine-idUSTRE7BB17920111212).

shamrock
01-20-12, 11:59 AM
About time too.

cameron90
01-20-12, 02:46 PM
No amphetamine-based drugs have been approved for ADHD in Europe, although drugs containing methylphenidates -- another stimulant, with similar effects as cocaine -- have been available since the 1950s and prescribed for ADHD since the early 1960s.

I'm in the Netherlands and my Dutch doctor here prescribes generic dextroamphetamine. So I'm taking this medication as an off-label treatment?

LucasNL
06-20-12, 08:47 AM
No amphetamine-based drugs have been approved for ADHD in Europe, although drugs containing methylphenidates -- another stimulant, with similar effects as cocaine -- have been available since the 1950s and prescribed for ADHD since the early 1960s.

I'm in the Netherlands and my Dutch doctor here prescribes generic dextroamphetamine. So I'm taking this medication as an off-label treatment?That news article isn't correct, several countries in Europe have amphetamines available for prescription and have it legally indicated for Narcolepsy and ADHD. Reuters didn't do it's homework correctly. Dex is indicated in the Netherlands for Narcolepsy and ADHD, both Dex IR and Dex XR. Dex first re-appeared in the Netherlands in 2006, though I'm fairly shure it has never stopped being available in other EU countries, such as the UK and likely several others.