View Full Version : I have some questions about klonopin

Chace90
12-18-11, 10:17 PM
I was just prescribed Klonopin for panic disorder and anxiety. But I am confused as when to take it. It just says "TAKE ONE TABLET BY MOUTH TWICE A DAY". I read the paper I got from the pharmacist and it says "TAKE THIS MEDICINE EVERYDAY at evenly spaced intervals." So naturally I thought I just take one every 12 hours. I am not sure if that is the case or not. It seems to be effective for about 10 hours after that I am not very sure if it is still working or not.

foggedup
12-19-11, 12:35 AM
I take it every 12 hours. I don't really stick to a rigid clock....I just take the evening dose 12 hours after I wake up and take the morning dose (whenever that is).

Abi
12-19-11, 03:52 AM
Different people metabolise the medication at different rates.

I suggest you split your second dose. Take 1/2 a tablet 10 hours into your day, and the other 1/2 at bedtime. I have years of experience experimenting with this med :)

Let say you take your first dose at 8 AM, and your normal bedtime is 10 PM

Then:

800AM : 1 tablet
600PM : 1/2 tablet
930PM : 1/2 tablet

Chace90
12-19-11, 12:34 PM
Thank you both for the replies I think I will try what Abi suggested.

Chace90
12-24-11, 12:10 PM
Well I have just stuck with taking .5mg every 12 hours as of now. It doesn't make me tired at all anymore(unless I am already tired), but still no panic attacks. I did however have a bit of anxiety after someone got me a energy drink and I drank it about 7 or 8 hours after my first dose and the anxiety didn't occur until about 9 or 10 hours after my first dose so I will just chalk that one up to stupidity. Anyway it seems to be working very well, but the Focalin Xr 20mg kinda is a bad combo because apparently caffeine and Klonopin don't play nice(they compete). So when the Focalin wears off at about 4pm I really don't want to have coffee to counter the crash like I did before taking Klonopin. On Adderall Xr I didn't crash at all it was smooth all the way through and it lasted about 8 hours so that was good, but it caused a little increase in anxiety so I again am considering Dexedrine. I have been having problems communicating with my doctor because of white coat anxiety.(Being in a room all alone with my doctor asking for amphetamines makes me a bit anxious.) Hopefully that wont happen this time because the Klonopin should help.

Chace90
01-02-12, 05:29 PM
I have a problem, I think. About 1 hour to 1 and a half hours after I took my focalin xr 20mg. It seemed like I took way to much. I imagine it is what I would feel like if I took about 5 of my Focalin xr 20mg at the same time. But I only took 1 Focalin Xr 20mg. I was wondering if Klonopin can intensify Focalin. I had took the Focalin Xr 20mg while taking Klonopin for about 3 weeks or so and all the sudden this has happened. The same thing happened yesterday. I was fine until I took the Focalin Xr 20mg, just a little bit tired. I am having diffuculty thinking properly, my mind is racing but thoughts are slow, attention shifting rapidly, my heart is racing 110-150bpm, I am kinda of jittery, and my balance is off as well as my appetite being completely dead. Also my eyes are having trouble adjusting to different lighting. I have no Idea what is going on but I am definitely not going to take the Focalin Xr 20mg tomorrow, however I will continue to take the Klonopin. Btw I am taking Klonopin 0.5mg twice a day, 12 hours apart. So 1mg of klonopin a day. Also I do not know if it is relevant but I urinated about 13-15 times yesterday(usually only 4-8 depending on how much liquids I consume). Any information on what might be happening would be appreciated.

Abi
01-02-12, 05:51 PM
You should see the Doc.

This sounds pretty weird to me

Chace90
01-02-12, 06:20 PM
I have a appointment coming up in about a week, until then I will stop taking the Focalin, because it just wore off and I seem to be better now. So I am pretty sure If I don't take the Focalin Xr I will be fine. My heart rate is going down and my brain isn't speeding any more. Seems like I have developed some kind of hyper sensitivity to the Focalin or perhaps I have gotten a bad batch anyway I plan to stay away from it because for some reason I don't seem to be reacting to it well. I am still not sure why that would have happened suddenly like that, the klonopin with Focalin Xr (I take them about 2 hours apart) was working alright up until then besides making me moderately sedated(Focalin previously to this seemed to calm me down quite a bit). But the important thing is I am feeling a lot better now that the Focalin has worn off. And I will definitely talk to my doctor about this. Thank you for your concern.

Chace90
01-02-12, 10:07 PM
I think I may just be very sick. Would klonopin make you feel better if you had a virus, bad cold, or flu? I am not coughing or sneezing but I usually don't I just feel like crap and I think Focalin could just be making me have more symptoms and making them worse also I forgot to mention I have a head/entire body ache with fatigue.

Abi
01-02-12, 10:10 PM
Most people stop taking stimulants when they have the flu.

Klonopin will help ease body aches, and a mild headache (tho' not by much)
OTOH Klonopin can make you feel fatigued.

Chace90
01-03-12, 01:06 PM
Yeah I read a little more into and it looks like if you took a stimulant like focalin while you were ill you may experience a increase in side effects. So I am pretty sure that is what is going on. I guess it has something to do with how your thyroid reacts to illness.

Chace90
01-05-12, 11:56 PM
Well I am not sick anymore and everything is back to normal, Although I do seem to be growing a pretty big tolerance to the klonopin. But I do think this maybe the idea maybe its not a tolerance maybe I have reached a steady state unfortunately I do seem to be almost where I was without the klonopin as far as anxiety goes but It does seem to be still helping somewhat. But I am only talking 0.5mg twice a day. I think that is a low dose but I am not 100% sure.

Abi
01-06-12, 12:55 AM
Its a low - average dose.

You can move up to 1,5 mg.

If your anxiety is more social then general, you may consider taking a lower dose on the weekends (when you dont have to work) to reduce the buildup of tolerance.

Good luck. :)

known_guy
01-06-12, 01:00 AM
Hmm. Not sure what to tell you. I am prescribed 0.25mg three times a day (9:00, 1:00, 5:00) as needed. I take Klonopin sporadically though... My doctor told me just to make sure I do not exceed, say, 1.5mg in a given day. I dislike having to split my 0.5mg tabs so I usually take 0.5mg once, occasionally twice a day. If so, 0.5mg at 9:00, then more at like 5:00? Or 0.5mg at 1:00 and another 0.5mg at 5:00 or 9:00. Mm, it just depends.

cameron90
01-19-12, 11:34 AM
I've taken clonazepam for maybe 8ish years and tolerance has a lot to do with your dose. It also has a very long half life compared to the other benzos so dosing doesn't have to be very precise. I was up to 3mg a day with no drowsiness or undesired effects. I've known people who are very sensitive to benzos -- 0.5mg will knock them out for a day. Honestly it's a great med in terms of its side effect profile and it's effectiveness. That is until you try to stop taking it. Because it has a very long half-life, up to 50 hours, it can be very difficult to discontinue. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before but it is worth mentioning again: clonazepam, or benzodiazepine, dependence develops quick quickly and sudden withdrawal can be life threatening. Be especially careful with long term use if you also have a depressive disorder because it will exacerbate depression, lethargy, etc. I've been tapering down slowly to something like 0.5mg a day but if I neglect to take it, I will feel quite anxious the next day. It is recommended that tapering off clonazepam is done under medical supervision with the shorter acting diazepam.

Nate W
01-21-12, 08:53 PM
I was just prescribed Klonopin for panic disorder and anxiety. But I am confused as when to take it. It just says "TAKE ONE TABLET BY MOUTH TWICE A DAY". I read the paper I got from the pharmacist and it says "TAKE THIS MEDICINE EVERYDAY at evenly spaced intervals." So naturally I thought I just take one every 12 hours. I am not sure if that is the case or not. It seems to be effective for about 10 hours after that I am not very sure if it is still working or not.Take it roughly equally spaced twice during the day, i.e. 12 hours apart. soon an equilibrium will develop and a steady-state blood level will occurr. Clonaizepam has a long half life. From Wikipedia: "Clonazepam has an unusually long elimination half-life (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_half-life) of 18–50 hours, making it generally considered to be among the long-acting benzodiazepines"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonazepam

--Nate

Chace90
02-06-12, 09:14 PM
Just an update. I have been taking klonopin for about a month and a half and it seems to be working just like it should, it is reducing the amount of panic attacks I have and my blood pressure and heart rate seem to be normal now, before they would be really jumpy they would be low or high, the last time I had my bp checked it was 96/48 so its pretty good and my heart rate sits around 60s and 70s while my resting heart rate is in the 50s. Oops ADD attack.:lol: Any way it seems the longer I take the klonopin the more it helps and I recently started taking Dexedrine which also seems to help with my anxiety.