View Full Version : ADD books: yes or no?

Kirby Albee
12-20-11, 09:13 PM
I'm a great buyer and non-reader of add books. The best I've done is about 2/3 of You Mean I'm Not Lazy Crazy and Stupid? (Which I really liked until I reached the social-tips section.) Is it important to read books about ADD? Has anyone upped their overall life-control after reading one? (Or without reading one?)

StoicNate
12-20-11, 10:32 PM
I tried reading one, but only got through about 5 pages (at my public library). I'm not much a book reader even on the topics of ADHD.

APSJ
12-20-11, 10:52 PM
As a kid/teenager I found a couple of Mel Levine's books very helpful...I've only read bits and pieces of others as an adult, and none really appealed. I've read a lot of excerpts from things online, which seems enough for me.

But, I know others have found books on ADD very helpful

peripatetic
12-20-11, 10:58 PM
i can't say i've really "read" any, but i've skimmed the two hallowell books. both were lent me by my psychiatrist about...maybe close to three years ago now. neither did anything for my life-control ability, though they did play a role in my joining the forums, i suppose.

to the best of my recollection his books (and relaly i couldn't distinguish between the two i skimmed if my life depended on it) would be best for people at a more "beginner" phase--e.g. those who aren't yet diagnosed or perhaps more recently diagnosed, diagnosed as adults and/or whose children are newly diagnosed. i say that because i just didn't find any of those profiled all that relatable, including hallowell himself.

i've heard great things about gina pera's book, but haven't read it.

anonymouslyadd
12-20-11, 11:10 PM
I'm a great buyer and non-reader of add books. The best I've done is about 2/3 of You Mean I'm Not Lazy Crazy and Stupid? (Which I really liked until I reached the social-tips section.) Is it important to read books about ADD? Has anyone upped their overall life-control after reading one? (Or without reading one?)

I think it's important to become more knowledgable about ADD. Whether you use a book or a Barkley video, that's your prerogative.

salleh
12-20-11, 11:22 PM
I bought every book they had out when I was diagnosed......well, at least the ones at Barnes and Noble .......

then I read them .....but didn't really connect , while I kinda did also .....

Mostly I don't think they're nearly as helpful as this forum .....now ....there's a lot of c*** out on the internet......every now and then I check out what crops up when I goodle ADHD .....mostly even less helpful than a well written book .....

that being said ....THIS is the palce to find out allllllllll about ADHD and ADD.....I am continually amazed and grateful for the accurate and volumenous information here.....and no where else in the world can I find such a huge number of like-afflicted people .....

....When you go to CHADD meetings, it's a c*** shoot, maybe you learn something maybe you don't ......maybe you relate , maybe not .....the base of participants is too small ......

...and I think it also has to do with the format ...it is an easy forum to use,.....and there are some that baffle me .....

so forget the books unless you have lots of extra money .....the latest and most up to date info is right here....

and if you want hard copy .....well I think you can print out exactly what is pertinent to you .....

how accurate is that ?

grape_ninja
12-21-11, 12:10 AM
Read one of those books? You have got to be kidding me I wasn't even able to sit and read all of the posts all the way through in this thread.

When I need to get through a book it's from Itunes. And I have quite a few of them. Now to the meat of the matter. Have they helped me? (have to type fast here or I'l lose interest) The answer is yes and no, by listening to them I found that I needed to see someone to get help and meds and to not feel so alone.

Soon after I found this place and set my cot up in the corner and don't plan on going anywhere now. I have learned more here than in all the books, the videos of Barkley and the few TV shows that were about ADHD.

What that all means I don't really care all I know is I have found a home and more friends here that I can talk to openly than I have had through my life combined.

MrJohn
12-21-11, 01:34 AM
I can usually finish books or at least glean what I think is important in them.
What I hate is 'talks' by some expert or the webinars that another site has.
Don't they know that if they are talking to Adders, they need to speak clearly, with some emphasis and animation in what they are saying instead of droning along in a quiet monotone?

Conman
12-21-11, 01:38 AM
i thumped through one once a few years ago on kids and ADHD. i prefer reading fiction books about possible ADHD people and other social misfits possibly based on this vulgar intercourse of nature and social passtimes of life.

trishcan
12-21-11, 04:31 AM
I bought the lazy crazy stupid whatever... didn't ever open it. Apparently I am both lazy and stupid (the verdict's still out on crazy, I suppose). I also bought ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life, which I read most of (it's an insanely quick read) and have adopted or modified some of the strategies presented there into my own life in some ways. But I thrive on organization. If you're not as obsessive about such things, I don't know how helpful it would be.

I caved last night and picked up Scattered Minds (Gabor Mate) on Amazon because I'm intrigued by it. I suspect it's one I may actually read. I don't have any expectation that it's going to somehow improve my quality of life, aside from giving me something to read and distract myself from the other crap I don't care to deal with at the moment.

anonymouslyadd
12-21-11, 04:51 AM
Scattered and Driven to Distraction helped me realize that I wasn't alone. This forum teaches me that I'm not alone.

Saboit
12-21-11, 05:29 AM
Never read a book about adhd but i may look into two that were mentioned here now...

: "I think it's important to become more knowledgable about ADD. Whether you use a book or a Barkley video, that's your prerogative"

What can you learn about it?
Barkley's are his opinions and what he thinks about adhd, while here you have people's expeirences.
But also in books there is not much to learn but what you gain are tips and strategies.
Now with all of you here and what you mentioned, i am still alone and always feel helpless.
Its really helpful to have you all because we all have that disorder which is called adhd but at the end of the day everyone is completely different and as things are now we dont have much to do because we dont know enough about it.
No matter where, the knowledge you will gain wont be enough to change the fact that you have adhd.
We all just get by, dont we?

My life is a never ending war against adhd but i will never win and i am getting weaker...:(

msmedieval
12-21-11, 06:38 AM
The only one I read was "Delivered from Distraction" & I found it extremely useful. Yes I skipped the parts that don't relate to me but I finished it. I'd buy more if I knew where I could find them, not a lot of books about ADD where I live. Because I'm not seeing a therapist & am not on medication, books by docs are all I have & darn it, I need them!

Saboit
12-21-11, 06:40 AM
The only one I read was "Delivered from Distraction" & I found it extremely useful. Yes I skipped the parts that don't relate to me but I finished it. I'd buy more if I knew where I could find them, not a lot of books about ADD where I live. Because I'm not seeing a therapist & am not on medication, books by docs are all I have & darn it, I need them!

Cant you order? m

babidi
12-21-11, 10:57 AM
I think it's important to become more knowledgable about ADD. Whether you use a book or a Barkley video, that's your prerogative.

I agree with you. The books and videos teach us how to manage ADHD symptoms.

shysmile
12-21-11, 04:22 PM
In my experience most ADD books didn't help me. Past a certain point they only depressed me or made me feel more disordered than before I read them. Like my symptoms would literally get worse. Most of them don't focus on strengths, just focused on problems and pointing out flaws. It just didn't cut it for me.

Though I guess they are useful for realizing you have ADD in the first place, and giving options. Stumbling across a book probably inspired me to find this forum.

grape_ninja
12-21-11, 04:53 PM
In my experience most ADD books didn't help me. Past a certain point they only depressed me or made me feel more disordered than before I read them. Like my symptoms would literally get worse. Most of them don't focus on strengths, just focused on problems and pointing out flaws. It just didn't cut it for me.

Though I guess they are useful for realizing you have ADD in the first place, and giving options. Stumbling across a book probably inspired me to find this forum.

I have to agree with Shy all the media be it print, video or audio has been for me only introductory information. With one exception so far and that is the full video of Dr Buckley describing how our brain works for and against us.

Conman
12-21-11, 05:00 PM
i might not pick up a book on ADHD unless im at a library and bored since i already know the bulk of ADHD related things from what doctors, internet, you guys have all told me aside from what ive known through experience and instinct. at most i might learn a thing or 2 but that's about it, i might pick up a book when im a soon to be parent just in general on parenting ADHD children since god knows i want lots of kids, and regardless if wife is ADHD or not, my kids will have a high chance of getting it from me nonetheless assuming my genetics knowledge is correct unless ive missed something.

DennyD
12-22-11, 03:24 AM
The best part about the ADD books is getting people you care about to read them. Its looking in the mirror for us. To an outsider it is "hopefully" enlightening. Telling people that even in silence I cant hear is puzzling to them. Books seem to get through to NT's better then me.
I gave my mom Driven from Distraction, and that opened up alot of useful discussion.

Kirby Albee
12-22-11, 03:28 AM
That's sort of a "not applicable" issue for me; but when it was, I was fairly lucky as far as tolerance, if not research, went.

msmedieval
12-22-11, 04:28 AM
Cant you order? m

Sometimes. Most online stores don't ship where I live but there are huge bookstores around, some even willing to order if they didn't have a certain book in stock. I'm still making a list of all the ones I want, when it's done I'll go & see if I can find them.

anonymouslyadd
12-22-11, 12:12 PM
Never read a book about adhd but i may look into two that were mentioned here now...

: "I think it's important to become more knowledgable about ADD. Whether you use a book or a Barkley video, that's your prerogative"

What can you learn about it?
Barkley's are his opinions and what he thinks about adhd, while here you have people's expeirences.

Barkley's words are based on his observations and research done on ADDers. I suppose a technical look at it may lead one to believe he is discussing opinions, but this would be a very long stretch. Generally, his words are held in high regard and are authoritative. When Barkley says something about ADD, I don't believe they are opinion.

AshT
12-22-11, 12:51 PM
Good book on ADHD i'm reading atm 'Only mother could love him' - sounds like a depressing title but it's filled with tips, ideas, giggles and puts a very positive spin on everything.

And it's autobiographical which i like - By someone with ADHD for someone with ADHD.

Saboit
12-22-11, 01:05 PM
Barkley's words are based on his observations and research done on ADDers. I suppose a technical look at it may lead one to believe he is discussing opinions, but this would be a very long stretch. Generally, his words are held in high regard and are authoritative. When Barkley says something about ADD, I don't believe they are opinion.

When Barkley says something about ADD, I don't believe they are opinion.
Well then, you should.

Seriously what research has been done?
As far as I know, we don't know what ADHD is, think otherwise? let me know!

if you think Barkley's are more than opinions then you are wrong...

BUT: I'd like to read about his research, as I may have missed something regarding ADHD research.

thanks in advance.

Conman
12-22-11, 02:16 PM
IM READING LESS THAN ZERO!!!!THESE KIDS ARE ALL SCUM, NUTS, AND MUST HAVE ADHD TO A CERTAIN EXTENT(especially the main character/narrator)!!!!

anonymouslyadd
12-22-11, 04:17 PM
Seriously what research has been done?
As far as I know, we don't know what ADHD is, think otherwise? let me know!

if you think Barkley's are more than opinions then you are wrong...

BUT: I'd like to read about his research, as I may have missed something regarding ADHD research.

thanks in advance.

Are you serious or joking?

mike1w
12-22-11, 04:20 PM
I like the book mentioned in the OP. KK and PR seem to have a good grasp of how it works.

Saboit
12-22-11, 05:08 PM
Are you serious or joking?

I am serious about Barkley, now have problems with that?

Let me know about ADHD research.

And I hope you are the one who are joking, and you had better not think that whatever he says is true.

anonymouslyadd
12-22-11, 07:31 PM
I am serious about Barkley, now have problems with that?

Let me know about ADHD research.

And I hope you are the one who are joking, and you had better not think that whatever he says is true.

I don't have any problems with you wondering about Dr. Russell Barkley.

Barkley is the leading authority on ADD research. His longitudinal Milwaukee study observed ADD from childhood to adulthood.

If you're interested in getting to know more about him, you can google his name or purchase the book ADHD in Adults: What the Science Says.

I'm not exactly sure what you would like to know about ADHD research. There's certainly a ton of it out there. This disorder is well documented in the scientific community.

quirkyscrawler
12-23-11, 01:13 AM
Can anyone recommend any podcasts or YouTube videos that talk about strategies to manage ADHD? I realize I've bought a few self-help books that have never been read...

AshT
12-23-11, 08:20 AM
Can anyone recommend any podcasts or YouTube videos that talk about strategies to manage ADHD? I realize I've bought a few self-help books that have never been read...
http://www.adducation.com.au/adhd-videos

ADDinHDefgHi?!
12-23-11, 10:52 AM
Driven To Distraction was extremely helpful to me after I was diagnosed because I just identified with it so much, like I've said before it was like reading the owners manual to myself.

I'd recommend Driven To Distraction and anything by Barkely, those are the ones that resonated with me the most.

Driven To Distraction is also good for family members who don't have ADD.

I never had issues with reading ADD books because I was obsessed with learning everything I could about it when I was diagnosed. I still look through them every now and then when my ADD is approaching out of control to remind myself of what I'm dealing with.

Ultimately Medication and this Forum have helped the most. This Forum is extremely educational and much more valuable than any one book in my experience so far.