View Full Version : Reading Comprehension

saxpiano
12-21-11, 12:09 AM
Hi all-
I'm a Senior in HS, with an AD(H)D diagnosis for inattention that I got last year. My AP Language and Composition class is reading Capote's In Cold Blood, and although I am a year older than every one else, I'm finding myself unable to handle the required reading. It's a big-ish book, with lots of details and tiny plot elements. I got started a bit early, but ground to a halt because I felt like I wasn't understanding or remembering or processing anything- I didn't care at all and don't know how to make myself care. Now I'm behind and unable to catch up. I'm not a bad reader at all- I do lots of writing for the school newspaper among many other things- I just can't spread that attention span and focus across a huge book.

Any ideas? I appreciate anything you have to offer. Thanks so much!

Lillianmay
12-22-11, 04:03 AM
Google "In Cold Blood Sparknotes" to get a summary of the book. Still try to read it, but this will get you caught up and if you read the Sparknotes, it might help you keep track of the book elements, characters etc. Also, you might rent the movie to help you see what is going on visually, but remember movies often don't follow the book closely and so you still have to read. I've never read the book or seen the movie so I don't know how they correlate. I've got dyslexia and ADD so reading comprehension is very hard for me.

Lillianmay
12-22-11, 12:24 PM
I just wanted to add something. You will not do well on Sparknotes alone, especially in an AP class. Another thing I do is make a note of what parts of the book are discussed in class and maybe put one of those small post-its marking the spot in the book. Things teachers think are important enough to discuss are often on the test. So for example if the teacher discusses the first part of chapter 3 a lot, but barely discusses chapter 4, note that and make sure you read the part that was discussed the best you can thinking about the points the teacher made in class. I record discussions on a digital recorder that I can download to my I tunes and listen to them again.

If you learn well from hearing, see if you can get from the school or library the book on tape and play it while you read. This helps some people.

BucasaBehtama
01-06-12, 01:41 PM
Hi all-
I'm a Senior in HS, with an AD(H)D diagnosis for inattention that I got last year. My AP Language and Composition class is reading Capote's In Cold Blood, and although I am a year older than every one else, I'm finding myself unable to handle the required reading. It's a big-ish book, with lots of details and tiny plot elements. I got started a bit early, but ground to a halt because I felt like I wasn't understanding or remembering or processing anything- I didn't care at all and don't know how to make myself care. Now I'm behind and unable to catch up. I'm not a bad reader at all- I do lots of writing for the school newspaper among many other things- I just can't spread that attention span and focus across a huge book.

Any ideas? I appreciate anything you have to offer. Thanks so much!

You need to find the following that were made on the subject:

- movies
- stories
- summary
- plot analysis

When someone who understood the books explains it to you, things get more clear.