View Full Version : Frustrated, getting impatient

Sakhisakh
12-28-11, 03:54 PM
Just venting.

It's taking so long to improve the symptoms I suffer from all day, every day. After finally being motivated to get diagnosed it's still taking so long. Waiting months for doctor appointments. It's all just taking so damn long.

Started off on Strattera. Tried it for a month. After no improvement and annoying side effects my doctor and I agreed on trying Wellbutrin for a month.

Been almost three weeks on Wellbutrin. Only thing I notice is increased energy levels and better mood. Still no focus, attention span, or motivation. Still can't pay attention when people are talking to me. Not getting my work done.

I wanted to try Strattera and Wellbutrin first for two reasons: bad heart. Cardiologist says it's okay to take stimulants, but I should try non stimulants first. I also like the idea of having my symptoms treated for the entire day, not just 8 hours, or whatever.

It just doesn't seem to be helping any. I'm getting frustrated. I don't see my doctor for another week and a half. I may start pushing for stimulants. My doctor said there's another non stimulant for ADD but she didn't remember the name. Any ideas what she meant?

In the mean time, I still have work I need to get done.

Thanks for listening :)

anonymouslyadd
12-28-11, 04:03 PM
Maybe she meant Provigil. I'm not positive, but I think that's a non-stimulant.

The process from diagnosis to treatment took a while and felt like hope was being given to me and then taken away day after day.

Stay here for support, and I think you'll find many of us have been through what you are going through.

hollywood
12-29-11, 09:46 AM
Hang in there . Wellbutrin has the same effect on most of us with adhd, helps with mood and depression and gives some energy a boost and stabalizes you a bit more in the adhd mind. It won't touch helping you with focus on attention on it's own. It's weak as a standalone. So, when are you going to try adderall or ritalin? Those are the key players.

saul.a
01-01-12, 03:47 AM
Sakhisakh,

Perhaps you would be willing to try Vyvanse? Or at least speak with your Doc about it. Yes, it is a stim, but it is longer lasting than Adderall, Dex, etc. and works well with Wellbutrin (no pun intended). I was rx'd Well-B for PTSD when I came back from Afghanistan and the VA doc said it would help with ADD symptoms (I was not diagnosed w/ ADD yet), but it didn't help me focus at all, and it almost seemed to do the opposite. I asked to stop the Well-B, they rx'd me BuSpar (crap) and I sought treatment from a civilian Doc for ADHD, and was Rx'd Vyvanse. The Vyvanse changed my life. Feel free to look around on here for info on Vyvanse or anywhere on the net for that matter. Theoretically, its supposed to work for about 12-14 hours, but of course everyone is different. At the very least it's something to ask your Doc's opinion on. Like I said, do some research, there's plenty of info out there without me rambling on. I currently take Vyvanse and Well-B (I realized the buspar was garbage and I didn't really give the Well-B a fair shot so I got back on it and dopped the Buspar) and the combo is amazing; its like I opened a part of my mind I never knew existed. (Note: the Well-B can take 4 weeks or more to begin to work and then the dosage may need to be adjusted accordingly.) It's still a struggle, as some days the meds work great and others they work "ok" at best, but I'm much more clear and focused with them than without them. Trust me, I understand what you mean by the waiting; I too took many years to motivate to get treatment and with 30 days between appointments, its a lot of trial and error in the beginning until you and your Doc find whats best. Waiting sucks, I agree. Especially for people like us who are impatient by nature. I'm still in the trial and error phase and I look forward to my next appointment as its another step in the right direction; another opportunity for me to be pro-active in taking control of my ADD. Good on you for taking that first step, because its the hardest and a lot of people don't even get there. I'm still new to all of this but theres a ton of great info on here and all over. On a side note, if your doc doesn't remember the name of something or is a little unsure, do the research and bring some info to your doc. Yes, its your doc's job to treat and rx, but going in armed with information and ideas will make their job a little easier, and in turn makes your treatment a little easier. Best of luck to you and Happy New Year!!

gatorADDe
01-01-12, 04:31 AM
Intuniv is a non stimulant med for ADHD. there are also other antidepressant meds like nopramin that also can help with adhd