View Full Version : My life sucks

Super3xtraswag
12-31-11, 03:18 AM
My parents are like old and are from a different culture and I've gotten arrested hospitalized idk if I'm diagnosed but the phychatrist said I'm bipolar or ADHD and my parents aren't supportive they think I'm trying to manipulate them and think I'm a bad kid and I don't know I'm on adderal but I don't know they think it's all b.s. and they don't understand what I'm going thru I was a good kid smart when I wuz 15 started smoking weed bad self esteem got arrested doing something stupid while high 'burglary' done with court this year attempted suicide overdosed a 2 weeks ago hospitalized for mania and I'm so confused and my parents yell at me and I get mad I cry all the time now I'm 15 year old teen and please help!

StoicNate
12-31-11, 03:31 AM
Sounds similar to me, but without being arrested or being "suicidal".

Saboit
12-31-11, 08:05 AM
Sounds similar to me but without getting arrested

pechemignonne
12-31-11, 11:12 AM
My parents are like old and are from a different culture and I've gotten arrested hospitalized idk if I'm diagnosed but the phychatrist said I'm bipolar or ADHD and my parents aren't supportive they think I'm trying to manipulate them and think I'm a bad kid and I don't know I'm on adderal but I don't know they think it's all b.s. and they don't understand what I'm going thru I was a good kid smart when I wuz 15 started smoking weed bad self esteem got arrested doing something stupid while high 'burglary' done with court this year attempted suicide overdosed a 2 weeks ago hospitalized for mania and I'm so confused and my parents yell at me and I get mad I cry all the time now I'm 15 year old teen and please help!
I'm so sorry to hear that you're having a tough time, Super.

Whether you have bipolar or ADHD or both, it sounds to me like you are really trying, and trying hard, and that you really are a "good kid". Because if you weren't, you wouldn't feel bad about things that have happened and you have done.

People who are "bad" (if such people even exist), wouldn't care about how their parents feel, or about any of that.

It sounds like you have a lot of things going on, so I think it's perfectly "normal" that you are confused and sad.

It just sounds to me like you need help, and you are trying to get help, so you are doing all that you can do.

I'm sorry that your parents don't understand and that they misinterpret your behavior. All of us wish that our parents could be completely understanding and compassionate, but parents are people too, and sometimes they are not perfect. What you need right now is support and understanding, and I'm sorry that your parents aren't able to give you that.

Like you said, there may be cultural and generational reasons why they don't see how hard things are for you, and that you aren't doing these things to hurt them.

That doesn't mean that they are right to think that you are "bad" or manipulative.

I hope that you can at least find a psychologist or some other person to give you the help and support that you need to figure out what is causing your problems.

But in the meanwhile, know that there are a lot of other people out there who have similar problems, and even if your parents don't understand, we do. I for one see what you are describing as a courageous young person trying to get their life back on track. I think that you should be proud of yourself for the hard work that you are doing, and will continue to do, fighting drugs and psych problems, all on your own.

Best of luck.

norwoodpj
01-01-12, 01:03 PM
I'm 32 and probably too old to be on this thread but the title caught my attention. Your post feels very familiar to me even with the amount of time that has passed since I felt that way. School was easy for me but I hated going. I couldn't pay attention, I felt like an outcast, and my home life sucked too. Around 15 I started smoking weed and the poor decisions escalated from there. Not because of the weed but for the same reasons I tried it in the first place. For some, teenage years are the best part of their lives. Then there are the rest of us. It probably won't help now, I don't think it would have helped me, but it gets better. I regularly feel like there is no way I deserve a life as good as the one I live now. As a teenager a lot of your peers are trying to be the same as everyone else. That only lasts a relatively short period of time before being different is something viewed as very positive. You can't fake it and those limited to the thoughts of others don't typically come up with anything new.

Hang in there and avoid the really dumb decisions. While life has worked out very well for me it didn't for a lot of the people I eventually associated with as a teen. I visited one recently after he was released from prison after 7 years. Recently I also met a few of my wife's coworkers for drinks and asked one of their husbands what he did. He was a manager at McDonald's. If that is what suits you then it is fine but he was clearly embarrassed and capable of more. Since he was convicted of a felony when he was 18, he is in his 30's now, he has trouble finding jobs. The felony was dumb and it sucks that it has followed him for so long. Try to stay out of trouble and keep your head up. It would have been too much to ask me to make good choices that would contribute to my future so I won't ask you. Just know that life should be beautiful and you deserve nothing less. So you should accept nothing less.

Michiko74
04-16-12, 01:45 PM
I can totally relate to your experience. My parents are also from a different culture than the one I live in now. When I first tried to tell them about ADHD, I don't think their response was a very positive one.

One of the things that helped me was to remember that everyone has their limits. Your parents may be taking out their frustrations and fears out on you. Now, that's not fair but it may explain what's going on. One of the things that scares parents are things that they have no experience or understanding about. You and I have access to information that they don't. We know that while ADHD is challenging, it doesn't mean we can't have a healthy and happy future. And most importantly, ADHD doesn't mean that they were bad parents, or parents that weren't able to raise you properly.

I think that your parents reaction really stems from a lack of knowledge of what to do. Now it may be all they need is for someone to explain to them what's going on. But be prepared that how they support you may be different from your expectations.

Being 15, you may need to get outside help to heal this situation. Hopefully, you will be able to treat your symptoms and focus on getting better. I'm sure that they do have many positive points. Even if they can't understand your mental issues, I'm sure that they can provide love and care in other areas.

I really hope you get the help you need. You can salvage this relationship.