View Full Version : Doctors Appointment

whatlifeforme
01-03-12, 05:49 PM
I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow. This is only the third time seeing her. She prescribed me adderall on my second visit.

I was hospitalized by my university due to a "psychotic episode," since my last visit. How do i convince her that i should continue with the adderall?

Cocobee
01-03-12, 11:05 PM
No offense, but it sounds like you are drug seeking. To answer your question, you shouldn't be "convincing" your doc to give you anything. It's up to him/her to evaluate you and your behavior and give you the right medication that works for you by giving the doc honest questions and answers. There are many other adhd meds out there that might work better for you.:)

emploding
01-03-12, 11:24 PM
Is there any thoughts that the meds caused the psychotic episode? How is the adderall benefiting you?

whatlifeforme
01-04-12, 10:25 AM
No offense, but it sounds like you are drug seeking. To answer your question, you shouldn't be "convincing" your doc to give you anything. It's up to him/her to evaluate you and your behavior and give you the right medication that works for you by giving the doc honest questions and answers. There are many other adhd meds out there that might work better for you.:)

i don't see trying to continue treatment with a medication i was prescribed as "drug seeking." moreover, what is "drug seeking," if you are not abusing the medication?

not trying to argue; i am just a bit confused about what you mean here.

whatlifeforme
01-04-12, 10:29 AM
Is there any thoughts that the meds caused the psychotic episode? How is the adderall benefiting you?

the doctor started me on xr for the first time (i had only tried ir before) and i can take 5mg at a time of the 20mg (once a day), and it works great.

my depression fog clears a bit, i stay on task, motivated. i can set short-term and long-term goals.

should i tell the doctor all of this? i know if i say, i want to continue with the adderall, and she says well i'm not sure about that, then continuing to "but it does this, this and this," might come off as too demanding.

how in the world do i express to the doctor how much this medicine helps me, and will not send me into psychosis as i take seroquel to keep me safe from that.

Haakenlid
01-04-12, 04:52 PM
A psychotic episode is serious. You don't seem to be very concerned about it. Why is that?

Are you diagnosed with bipolar or any other condition that might have caused the psychosis?

snowcat
01-31-12, 07:13 AM
i don't see trying to continue treatment with a medication i was prescribed as "drug seeking." moreover, what is "drug seeking," if you are not abusing the medication?

not trying to argue; i am just a bit confused about what you mean here.

Justice:
These forums are not for manipulating members to give you advice on how to "get around the system". If you have been hospitalized for psychosis (albeit numerous times before) you will have an extremely difficult time finding a psychiatrist that will prescribe adderall for you again. That is not for me to decide, but a physician.

The behavior you are exhibiting is considered "drug seeking" behavior. Your posts all seemed to be geared at how to get your drugs back or prescribed again. I'm not here to provide you with information that would be considered irresponsible on my part or potentially dangerous to your health.

cameron90
01-31-12, 11:13 AM
The only thing I can say is to be completely honest with your doctor about everything. Including the fact that you had been hospitalized (I would make sure that the records are released to your doctor, if they have not been yet). When you say hospitalized due to a "psychotic episode", what do you mean? Was there an official diagnosis of psychosis? What were the circumstances which led up to it? The main thing is that even if a psychostimulant medication is helping you and you are not drug seeking, then even prescribing it to someone who has displayed psychotic features can very likely becomes a liability for the prescribing doctor.

Psychosis can be caused by certain less serious triggers, from stress, sleep deprivation, drugs (including psychostimulants), sensory impairment. However, it can also be a sign of a serious underlying mental illness like schizophrenia, bipolar, personality disorders, depression and anxiety disorders, etc. Even more, psychosis can occur as a secondary psychosis to life-threatening medical conditions such as endocrine disease and neurological disease. So, the only way your doctor is going to continue to prescribe a psychostimulant is after waiting for a period of time and making you go through a battery of tests to rule everything out, and also looking at your family history for any history of mental or other illness.

I don't want to imply that you're drug seeking because even though your posts may come off that way, I'll give you the benefit of a doubt. For your sake, if you have been abusing the Adderall, let the doctor know and you'll actually have a better chance at getting treatment, maybe without the Adderall for a while but at least you will still get the help you need. If you have been taking the Adderall as prescribed, inform your doctor of this and try to figure out what caused the psychotic episode. Even low therapeutic doses have been observed to cause psychosis in a small portion of the population.

Take a look at this and see if anything fits or runs in the family, etc.:

Psychosis: Causes (wikipedia) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosis#Causes)