View Full Version : Love Yourself

whatlifeforme
01-04-12, 04:37 PM
Anyone here have issues with their reflection. For instance, sometimes I look at my reflection in my phone and don't like myself. The same thing goes with car mirrors or anything that shows your reflection for that matter.

I need jaw surgery and I hate my smile. Sometimes I look at myself like renew dude who are you. I feel like this is some identities disorder.

msmedieval
01-07-12, 06:46 AM
I tend not to look too long at my reflection either. It's funny cause I like mirrors. I try never concentrate too much on how I look like & almost never look at my body's reflection, if I do have to use the mirror I always grin at myself at the end. My goofy side sort of trying to lighten up my mood.

sarek
01-07-12, 07:16 AM
My gf has this in the extreme. She is also very anxious about having her photograph taken by anyone, even by herself. If anyone has some kind of approach to help improve this situation, I am all ears.

sarahsweets
01-07-12, 07:48 AM
Due to past body /image issues I only use the mirror once when I'm getting ready for the day. Unless i've fallen in the mud I don't need to check it again. The same with scales. I don't weigh myself anymore because I'll get obsessed and do it all day long. I'm at a healthy weight and my clothes fit so that's what matter s. I also took down all decorative mirrors that weren't part of the bathroom. They didn't add much to the decor and I didn't need to see myself from every angle and start nitpicking.

whatlifeforme
01-08-12, 07:37 PM
I am fine with my body; it's just looking into my eyes that weirdos me out or seeing myself smiling back in my phone's reflection.

Fuzzy12
02-01-12, 02:43 PM
I never minded my own reflection when I was younger but lately when I get a glimpse of it I need to look away quickly because it's too depressing. Quite shocking as well, at times. Not always, but mostly. It might be just because I'm getting older or have put on lots of weight in the last few years. I think though, it's mainly that I just like myself less and less in general.

This probably sounds quite stupid but sometimes when I feel really ugly and want to cheer up I make faces at myself in the mirror. The more grotesque the better. After doing that for a few minutes, my normal face looks pretty tolerable to me. If nothing else, at least the silliness of it makes me laugh.

Fraser_0762
02-01-12, 02:46 PM
Yep. I find I look far worse in some mirrors than I do in others though.

TheChemicals
02-01-12, 02:59 PM
I look at my reflection and laugh. Im like "Wooah sht dude, god gave me a real challenge with this crazy looking face".

I have always felt my nose is crooked. Actually it is lol, i got into alot of fights as a kid and some kid broke my nose once, and my welfare mom was like...."eso se cura normal". Bullsheeit it healed crooked! I still managed to get laid and told i was cute every so often so that helped alot with my complex.

Today at 33 i still occasionally look at it and move it around hehe. I did find a solution though. I basically hide away from people and work at home. Lol im kidding, i just see it as a challenge and keep on trucking on this silly little path of vida.

Fraser_0762
02-01-12, 03:01 PM
LMAO, I have a crooked (Owen Wilson typed) nose too! HAHA

StoicNate
02-01-12, 03:18 PM
I think I look ok.
Sometimes I love the way I look, other times I hate myself. It matters on my mood.

TheChemicals
02-01-12, 03:57 PM
LMAO, I have a crooked (Owen Wilson typed) nose too! HAHA

hehe i was going to mention Owen Wilson. Much respect to him and his lol nose. He is a good example of how a bad feature doesnt define the whole picture

Fraser_0762
02-01-12, 04:49 PM
hehe i was going to mention Owen Wilson. Much respect to him and his lol nose. He is a good example of how a bad feature doesnt define the whole picture

Absolutely.

Also important to note that the man suffers from severe manic depression and has still made a huge positive name for himself.

Just goes to show what anybody can do really. :)

P.S - I loved him and Chan in "Shanghai Noon". :D

cameron90
02-01-12, 07:13 PM
My gf has this in the extreme. She is also very anxious about having her photograph taken by anyone, even by herself. If anyone has some kind of approach to help improve this situation, I am all ears.

I know a lot of girls/women who are very self-conscious, especially about having photos taken. Especially with digital cameras and facebook/social networking, they will often demand to see the photo and approve it or tell you to delete it. I know some guys who do the same thing, but not really to the same extent. Society does put a lot of unhealthy pressure on girls and women in terms of physical appearance. I'm also interested in any kind of approach or thoughts on this matter.

grADD student
02-01-12, 07:39 PM
Actually in high school I had an unrealistically high opinion of my appearance. However, I inherited my father's under eye dark circles and my mother's family's skin cancer. So, I look tired and like a piranha bit a chunk out of the bridge of my nose.

I look at myself not with disgust or depression, but more of a shrug. I've had a lot of challenges in life, many self inflicted, many not, but my face tells that story. I actually appreciate the honesty my face carries when I refuse to be honest with myself. At least that's my perspective.

Fraser_0762
02-01-12, 07:47 PM
Actually in high school I had an unrealistically high opinion of my appearance. However, I inherited my father's under eye dark circles and my mother's family's skin cancer. So, I look tired and like a piranha bit a chunk out of the bridge of my nose.

I look at myself not with disgust or depression, but more of a shrug. I've had a lot of challenges in life, many self inflicted, many not, but my face tells that story. I actually appreciate the honesty my face carries when I refuse to be honest with myself. At least that's my perspective.

Hey, great way of looking at things! :)

I never really thought anything of my appearance until I turned about 13 and started liking girls. Then I was hit with really bad cystic acne. I've managed to beat it, but i've been left with pitted scarring and discolouration on my face, with rosacea to top it all off and I still suffer from some minor acne on top of it all. But you know what.... so what. Whats happened has happened, theres no going back on it now and it just shows what i've been through physically as a teenager. I see people without arms and limbs or they have a seriously disfigured face, yet they still get on with their lives as well, so I have no excuse for not getting on with my own and being greatful for what I do have.

spunkysmum
02-01-12, 09:13 PM
I actually have issues with the discrepancy between the way I look in the mirror and the way I look in photos. To be honest, a lot of times I like the way I look in the mirror just fine, though I'm no supermodel. But photos are a different story. Invariably, I hate them. Except for the ones I take of myself, apparently I am a lot more skilled at capturing me at my best than anybody else who turns a camera on me.

It bothers me to no end. I mean, am I just seeing something that isn't there when I look in the mirror, and it's the photos that tell the real story? Or do photographs just not do me justice?

grADD student
02-01-12, 09:24 PM
It bothers me to no end. I mean, am I just seeing something that isn't there when I look in the mirror, and it's the photos that tell the real story? Or do photographs just not do me justice?

I don't think you are just seeing something. My mother was a model when she was younger, but she only did catwalk stuff because photogrophers said she did not picture well. And it's true, she is much lovelier than photos make her appear to be.

So maybe the camera just can't seem to contain what makes you unique :)