View Full Version : Starting to exercise

jewfro5789
01-06-12, 05:33 PM
I've just been recently prescribed adderall about a month ago and it has been giving me the motivation to start exercising and to get into shape. However, my current physical health is awful. I was looking for some tips on how to get started with exercise. My biggest problem now is I don't really have anywhere to do cardio based exercises right now. Its way too cold to do them outside and I live on the third floor in my apartment building and my neighbors complain about noise a lot so I haven't been able to do much. Sadly, I lost my job about a month and a half ago (unfortunately right before I got my prescription) so I have no money for a membership at any local gyms.

Another concern I have is how exercise, while on adderall, will effect my heart considering my current physical shape and the effects of the amphetamine.

So I guess to sum it up I am looking for 2 things.

#1: exercise tips for beginners. (like what exercises I should do)

#2: info for exercise while on anphetamines.

Thanks

(If I have poseted this in the wrong section would some one please point me in the right direction. I rarely use forums and Im not that good at it.)

fracturedstory
01-06-12, 06:55 PM
I don't exercise on my Ritalin because it increases my heart beat.

I've just started to get back into exercise and I have to start at the beginning too.

Going for a half hours walk is a good start. You need to start out with something you know you are capable of and then next time add another 10-20 minutes and then a week later see if you can get up to an hour. Maybe when you think you're ready increase it to a run. Early in the morning is the best time for it depending where you live. I'm more of an afternoon person.

When I started to lift weights I started at 2kg dumbbells and worked up to about 7kg. I think I started lifting about 30 times then next week kept increasing. I can do about 100 now. I only have the 2kg dumbbells though. I don't care about bulking up anymore.
Eat plenty of protein if you do want to gain some muscle mass.

And remember to eat healthy and drink water otherwise exercise will just feel horrible.

Always allow for a 5-15 minute warm up.

If you think you need your meds for motivation take some fish oil instead. It's what I do.

Conman
01-07-12, 12:00 AM
exercise

quark
01-07-12, 01:27 AM
So I guess to sum it up I am looking for 2 things.

#1: exercise tips for beginners. (like what exercises I should do)

#2: info for exercise while on anphetamines.

Thanks

(If I have poseted this in the wrong section would some one please point me in the right direction. I rarely use forums and Im not that good at it.)

#1: do something you like so that you keep doing it. At various times I have done sports, martial arts, Olympic weightlifting, walking, rollerblading (hey it was the mid 90's), and these days have a strong addiction to cycling. It gets me to see new places and explore which helps to satisfy that inner restlessness.

#2: I don't find dextroamphetamine (via dexedrine IR or Vyvanse) has any effect on me during exercise. Make sure you drink plenty of liquids.

Rolf13
01-07-12, 02:35 AM
I was looking for some tips on how to get started with exercise. My biggest problem now is I don't really have anywhere to do cardio based exercises right now. Its way too cold to do them outside and I live on the third floor in my apartment building and my neighbors complain about noise a lot so I haven't been able to do much.

I know you are talking about cardio based exercises, but just to get started and into a routine (and avoid procrastinating) you can always start with the good old sit ups, push ups, weightlifting (of house hold objects), leg raisers, and of coarse yoga. These are all free and do not make noise.

You could also go visit a friend that has a place to workout noisily :)

I don't know if you have them by you but you could go to a public indoor heated pool to do laps??