View Full Version : How to gain better skills in reading / writing

astronaut
01-07-12, 02:11 AM
I have a reading disability, although I don't know specifically which kind. I am in college but struggle with understanding what I read. Are there any tips people have learned over the years? Are there any books or web sites that have lots of good tips on how to comprehend what I'm reading?

anonymouslyadd
01-07-12, 02:26 AM
I have a reading disability, although I don't know specifically which kind. I am in college but struggle with understanding what I read. Are there any tips people have learned over the years? Are there any books or web sites that have lots of good tips on how to comprehend what I'm reading?

Taking notes in the margins helps and changing the notes you take into your own words helps me with comprehension.

You may also want to try doing this with notecards, writing down information that is most important. Then, you can carry the notecards around with you, and read them over and over.

Reading is really hard for people with ADD.

Saboit
01-07-12, 02:30 AM
Writing is hard too?
I wonder why there are some.with adhd who don't have problems with writing or reading at all, then it's, not connected to adhd.

Thanks for the question

astronaut
01-07-12, 02:51 AM
Writing is hard too?
I wonder why there are some.with adhd who don't have problems with writing or reading at all, then it's, not connected to adhd.

Thanks for the question

There a lots of different types of reading disabilities. Some are present from birth, other types are a byproduct of some developmental disorder, and then there are some that may not fit perfectly into either category.

anonymouslyadd
01-07-12, 03:02 AM
Writing is hard too?

Thanks for the question

I don't know what activity, if anything, comes easy to an ADDer. I enjoy writing and have some natural skills for it, but that doesn't make it any easier for me when I'm writing an article.

I think 99.9% of ADDers have a hard time with reading. What makes it more difficult is if you have dylexia or another reading disability.

Saboit
01-07-12, 03:17 AM
There a lots of different types of reading disabilities. Some are present from birth, other types are a byproduct of some developmental disorder, and then there are some that may not fit perfectly into either category.

I agree but still adhd effects in our brains are pervasive, these difficulties are the result of adhd, we still don't know how they affect our brain so it's impossible to know exactly whet the problems are.
I don't know what activity, if anything, comes easy to an ADDer. I enjoy writing and have some natural skills for it, but that doesn't make it any easier for me when I'm writing an article.

I think 99.9% of ADDers have a hard time with reading. What makes it more difficult is if you have dylexia or another reading disability.
I agree but still adhd effects in our brains are pervasive, these difficulties are the result of adhd, we still don't know how they affect our brain so it's impossible to know exactly whet the problems are.

CheekyMonkey
01-07-12, 03:56 AM
Practicing visualization is one of the main things that has increased my reading comprehension.

astronaut
01-07-12, 03:58 AM
Practicing visualization is one of the main things that has increased my reading comprehension.

Could you expand on that? I have heard similar suggestions, but I really don't know what that means.

meadd823
01-07-12, 05:46 AM
Seeing what you are reading - turning the words into a mental movie so to speak.

Saboit
01-07-12, 08:01 AM
meadd823, how do you know it works?