View Full Version : Meditation or Medication or Both?

Jimini
01-08-12, 05:07 PM
Forgive me if this question has been asked and answered somewhere that I have not found. I have read a lot recently about the great benefits of meditation. And it has been stated several times that meditation is not necessarily tied to religious practices per se, which is kind of where I am at. So I thought I would try it. I have been taking Vyvanse and Adderall in varying degrees for about a year now and have benefitted from it. I'm wondering if meditation on top of these scripts is worth the effort. Is there someone who does both and feels that it is still benefitial to do both?

Pretty funny, but I have done both for a few weeks. It is my understanding that it would take a long stretch of time to see benefits. I stopped taking the drugs and tried to meditate and end up falling asleep.

I'd be interested in any experiences anyone has in this area.

Unmanagable
01-08-12, 06:05 PM
Both for me.

The medication aids in getting my brain to the level of functioning that increases the chances of me following through with other helpful techniques like meditation.

Meditation was totally ineffective and "crap" in my opinion until I found a practice that worked for me. The guided meditations that were offered free through the Chopra Center finally helped me understand the practice and experience much success with it.

Spiritually, it took me years/decades to "get there" and I'm glad I kept trying.

Medically, I've been diagnosed with ADHD and on adderall since April of 2010.

I've learned it's a package deal as far as treatment goes in my case. The degree that I don't actively maintain any part of my physical, spiritual, and emotional needs is equal to the amount of suffering I endure as a result.

It remains a constant struggle, but for now, the good days still seem to be worth the effort.

meadd823
01-09-12, 08:17 AM
Both for me.

The medication aids in getting my brain to the level of functioning that increases the chances of me following through with other helpful techniques like meditation.

Meditation was totally ineffective and "crap" in my opinion until I found a practice that worked for me. The guided meditations that were offered free through the Chopra Center finally helped me understand the practice and experience much success with it.

Spiritually, it took me years/decades to "get there" and I'm glad I kept trying.

Ditto and for me. Meditation and medication is also a package deal for me as well.

- Medication allows meditation to be possible in turn meditation increases the effectiveness of the medication - I took medication for years - decades before I added meditation because I connected meditation with being a Buddhist or some super spiritual person which I felt wasn't me at all.

Jimini
01-09-12, 03:24 PM
It's great news to hear that it is possible to use both. I didn't want to stop with the meds, but felt that meditation might have something to offer. I did not want to find out years later that most aren't able to make it work. I'm just starting with the meditation and I've heard it's a long term quest. I am willing to put in the effort. It seems like there has to be considerable study to understand what you are actually doing (or not doing as they say). I seen some of Depok Chopra's videos and recently got Jon Kabat-Zinn's audio book. For me, I'll have to read about it from several perspectives to finally understand.