View Full Version : Does Adderall Make You Feel High... Like Cocaine?

AC360CNN
01-08-12, 10:57 PM
I experimented with cocaine in college with extreme moderation, never impulsively or spontaneously taking it, but I loved it!

Now I'm prescribed Adderall IR, and its oddly similar. Even when I take only half my daily dose, I feel so on top of the world on it, much like cocaine.

Anyways, anyone else feel a similarity between the two?

pechemignonne
01-08-12, 11:14 PM
Never tried cocaine.

But Adderall never made me feel euphoric, although as I understand it some people do feel that effect.

Kaimei
01-08-12, 11:34 PM
I've never used cocaine, but I have tried E. That gave me what I would consider a sense of euphoria, but even when I was rolling I was extremely mellow and calm. Never could figure out how it was so popular as a rave drug - until I was diagnosed and realized that ADHD meant that my response to stimulants was different from NTs. Still, I liked E so much that it scared the hell out of me and I stayed well away from it after the third time.

When I first started Adderall, I felt energized - which I differentiate very sharply from euphoric. It wasn't a physiological reaction, it was a psychological one. For the first time in my life, I could actually bring all my attention and abilities onto one thing, and stay there. I felt capable, but in a relaxed way, not the over-confident, d@mn the torpedoes, full speed ahead! way I'd always been. I felt in control. Of course that's going to be mentally and emotionally energizing.

Euphoria, though, no. The closest thing to 'high' I've ever been was when I messed up my titration schedule and took 20 mgs when I was only supposed to take ten. Then I was just waaaay relaxed and slightly floaty. It didn't appeal to me. I was too relaxed - my guy called and told me he'd been in an accident on the freeway and his car was totaled. My response? "Oh. Gosh. Wow. You're - well, you're not hurt? I mean, you're OK, yeah? Umm. Can I help? Should I - should I come get your or something?"

Rebelyell
01-09-12, 01:11 AM
Ive never done cocaine or stimulants,I actually bucked taking meds till I was 27 and at that point I kind of had to as my world ws falling apart around me.THe best High I ever had was when I took my motorcycle to 150 mph.

purpleToes
01-09-12, 01:43 AM
Xxxx.

FrozenBulletz
01-12-12, 04:05 AM
Natural high's are the best. Natural euphoria from doing stuff you love. i know it sounds crazy but iv experimented with alot of "substances" and Nothing beats that true natural euphoria its just so pure. and one doesn't feel as guilty as one would with drugs.

Steven_Tyler77
01-13-12, 06:23 PM
Natural high's are the best. Natural euphoria from doing stuff you love. i know it sounds crazy but iv experimented with alot of "substances" and Nothing beats that true natural euphoria its just so pure. and one doesn't feel as guilty as one would with drugs.

Yes, I do agree with that. I like doing drugs, but there are many other things that I like doing better. The best high I've ever had was going to an Aerosmith concert: the music made me so happy and I went on feeling euphoric for weeks on end afterwards. There was no substance involved, just my natural dopamine skyrocketing due to the emotion elicited by the artistic act.

However, not everybody feels guilty when using drugs. I do not feel guilty when I get high in a responsible manner. But I do feel bad about myself when I succumb to temptation and abuse substances at the wrong time of day...

siglerja
01-22-12, 05:32 PM
One of the core tells of ADD is that you don't experience euphoric stimulation from cocaine. Many doctors will ask a patient if they ever tried cocaine and what that was like for them - If they answer that it was sort of a calm focus, maybe more driven but not talking a mile-a-minute and acting like a nutbar, they usually diagnose them with ADD or at least begin the process.

If you're feeling "on top of the world" on Adderall, it may be a good idea to re-evaluate. Some people who actually have ADD will get some euphoria at the onset but it fades fairly quickly.

Rebelyell
01-22-12, 05:39 PM
Motorcycles are the best drugs.The day I see a bike outside a shrinks office is either the day I die or the shrink had enough of listening to people and got smart and got himself some medication of his own .ohh yeah just what the dr ordered:D

cameron90
01-22-12, 10:34 PM
One of the core tells of ADD is that you don't experience euphoric stimulation from cocaine. Many doctors will ask a patient if they ever tried cocaine and what that was like for them - If they answer that it was sort of a calm focus, maybe more driven but not talking a mile-a-minute and acting like a nutbar, they usually diagnose them with ADD or at least begin the process.

If you're feeling "on top of the world" on Adderall, it may be a good idea to re-evaluate. Some people who actually have ADD will get some euphoria at the onset but it fades fairly quickly.

I've done cocaine in the past in a bad stage in my life when I did some regrettable things. From what I remember, it was definitely euphoric. I was not bouncing off the walls or talking excessively and rapidly speaking though, but it did feel uplifting, and made me feel confident and perceptive, at least until a very anxious and uncomfortable come down.

I do feel a degree of "well-being" from my Dexedrine, I don't think I would call it euphoric per se as does not feel like anything significantly better than a natural exciting or joyous moment in life. Nor does it come close to the euphoria I get with the codeine I'm prescribed for back pain, and codeine is pretty mild.

Rebelyell
01-22-12, 10:40 PM
I dont like to be High I like to get my kicks w out chemicals.I hate it,that w out meds IM so miserable unhappy moody irate,dont feel comfortable in my skin and very agorophobic.Its a shame I need mommies little helper to get on a even keel w out the anger an lo frustrtion tolerance thats plaqued me for a very long time.I didnt deal w it then and now I need to before it really deals w me.If not for my meds I wouldnt be at my current job last 11 years.

Fraser_0762
01-22-12, 10:46 PM
Talking of natural Euphorias..... I've always wanted to experience freefalling from a plane, or freefalling inside a plain (the no gravity effect). It would be totally awesome. I'd probably feel more awake over that month than i ever have done before! :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZY8279b7BU

It just looks..... so amazing! :O

Rebelyell
01-22-12, 10:53 PM
I want to try those 2 out too,plus repelling of a mt someday.IDK I can barely handle a natural high.Some people have said it would be funny to watch me on drugs.I'd either be very normal like an nt or holy cripes I wouldnt shut up,I dont shut up now and Im not even on sugar.lolblab blab blab yap yap yap.I have people tell me I have an unnatural an unhealthy urge for drugs because I talk about them and inquire about them all the time,IM told its not good to be that curious. since ive suffered from extreme depression most of my life I think drugs of my choice would be uppers.Are being up and down maybe Pot.ive seen nothing good come out of chemical abuse w any of my friends or aquintances

Slybfoxx
01-23-12, 05:27 PM
I was at a ADHD conference all weekend, one of the speakers did a powerpoint presentation and compared the two. Both had almost identical "effect" profiles. Don't shoot the messenger!

siglerja
01-27-12, 03:20 PM
Comparing cocaine to Adderall is like comparing apples to oranges. If the thesis statement or a point the speaker was trying to make centered on simularities between coke and amphetamine, saying the "effect profiles" are similar is just broad, point-driving language for "They're both stimulants." The same could be said for any stimulant drug or substance - Stimulants all carry the same general effect profile, it's the little things and the patient's actions that seperate theraputic drugs from drugs of abuse.

Cocaine's show is almost entirely dopamine, and it really hammers your receptors. It is intended for euphoria and the chemical composition, method of delivery and dosing is centered around experiencing euphoria. The effect is so acute and intense that it has no theraputic value - In fact, it is counterproductive and dangerous to use to self-medicate basically anything with because of the damage it will do to your dopamine reuptake process and your general ability to be stimulated. The brain scan of someone using cocaine looks like a paintball exploded - The brain scan of someone on a theraputic dose of Adderall doesn't look remotely close, especially after the dopamine impact it has in the intial stages of use wears off.

mechnik
01-29-12, 01:26 PM
I experimented with cocaine in college with extreme moderation, never impulsively or spontaneously taking it, but I loved it!

Now I'm prescribed Adderall IR, and its oddly similar. Even when I take only half my daily dose, I feel so on top of the world on it, much like cocaine.

Anyways, anyone else feel a similarity between the two?

No experience to compare with cocaine or anything like that.
I now began to take Adderall after a long break and find it provides a sense of well being I described as mildly euphoric, as well as a calming effect. When I had Adderall prescribed in the past it made me feel more anxious, agitated, and really pushed up my resting heart rate. No such effects this time after few weeks.

icecreamfiend
01-29-12, 02:41 PM
If anything, medication brings me back to earth. At first I really didn't notice a difference when starting on stimulants but after I got to a high enough dose, after finding the previous prescribed amount wouldn't work or only lasted about a week, I only then realized the difference between the medicated me and unmedicated me. Boy it's drastic! When I come off my medication at night, it feels as if I am getting high, or I guess buzzed from alcohol would be a better comparison.

I feel so out of it and spacey with a delayed response time to people or things around me. The best way I can describe the sensation to people who don't have ADD is it feels like you are walking through the world as an observer. Sure you interact with it but you aren't mentally there. There is almost like two realities occurring at the same time, the one you are observing, and the one inside your head with all the thoughts and images flashing around.

So back to the question, no. I'm "high" without the meds.

astroidea
01-29-12, 02:42 PM
I have tried cocaine, on two occasions. I actually feel that adderall feels like a stronger version of coke that lasts longer.

astroidea
01-29-12, 02:51 PM
Comparing cocaine to Adderall is like comparing apples to oranges. If the thesis statement or a point the speaker was trying to make centered on simularities between coke and amphetamine, saying the "effect profiles" are similar is just broad, point-driving language for "They're both stimulants." The same could be said for any stimulant drug or substance - Stimulants all carry the same general effect profile, it's the little things and the patient's actions that seperate theraputic drugs from drugs of abuse.

Cocaine's show is almost entirely dopamine, and it really hammers your receptors. It is intended for euphoria and the chemical composition, method of delivery and dosing is centered around experiencing euphoria. The effect is so acute and intense that it has no theraputic value - In fact, it is counterproductive and dangerous to use to self-medicate basically anything with because of the damage it will do to your dopamine reuptake process and your general ability to be stimulated. The brain scan of someone using cocaine looks like a paintball exploded - The brain scan of someone on a theraputic dose of Adderall doesn't look remotely close, especially after the dopamine impact it has in the intial stages of use wears off.
Good points.
Although I want to point out that if you snorted adderall like how you snort cocaine... the effects wouldn't be too far off. Both hammers your dopamine receptors. Both works on your dopamine transporters to inhibit reuptake.
The mechanisms of action are very similar.

The difference is primarily in the route of administration(snorting vs ingesting), and the dosage.

AC360CNN
01-29-12, 03:19 PM
I did cocaine occasionally in college, amd of wasn't until later that I was diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed Adderall.

The doctor told me to take 20mg IR twice a day. It's been 3 months and I still don't take more than 10mg at a time. The most I've had in a day has been the full 40mg but it was spaced out, 10mg at a time over a long day. Adderall feels so strong to me. Just 10mg often has me turning up my music and just feeling on top of the world much like cocaine did.

If I had taken 20mg at once, having never had it before, I would venture to say it might have hit me even harder than a couple lines of cocaine.

Perhaps I have very sensitive dopamine sensors, or rather, my dopamine reuptake is easily hindered by Adderall.

YOUCANCALLMEAL
01-29-12, 10:19 PM
My therapist asked me if I had ever used cocaine. I hadn't. But he did say if you truly have ADD you get a very different reaction to cocaine than those that don't. IE Not high and all over the place, more introspective and "chill" and that's pretty much what Adderall is doing for me

I also know very well from first hand experience that us ADDers have a much different reaction to opiates. They are stimulant for most of us.

Fascinating that these drugs have such a different effect on us

Knotting Blob
01-29-12, 10:50 PM
Definitely no euphoria like cocaine. In hind sight, I think I was attracted to cocaine because of the very reason I have ADD, though I didn't know I had ADD back then. I thought I was... just off and not like everyone else... didn't know what though and I had to always disguise my "differentness". Cocaine helped me be like everyone else in social situations, and focused... I thought. You are hyper focused but the euphoria gets in the way.

trishcan
01-29-12, 10:54 PM
I also know very well from first hand experience that us ADDers have a much different reaction to opiates. They are stimulant for most of us.

I've had that sort of reaction to certain doses of opiates, but cocaine just made me want to take a nap.

cameron90
01-30-12, 11:21 AM
I had no idea that people with ADHD have a stimulant reaction to opiates. Even when I take a relatively large does of codeine (on days where my back pain 'flares') I have found myself super-talkative and of course, euphoric as well. Leads to a really dry mouth...

YOUCANCALLMEAL
01-30-12, 12:00 PM
I had no idea that people with ADHD have a stimulant reaction to opiates. Even when I take a relatively large does of codeine (on days where my back pain 'flares') I have found myself super-talkative and of course, euphoric as well. Leads to a really dry mouth...

Yes I have been learning a lot about myself the last couple months through this. In a nutshell, I have had a huge issues with opiates, not because they make me feel "high" but because they totally eliminate all my ADD symptoms, makes me super social, productive, energetic, etc. I always felt so confused and guilty by this but now I understand. My ADD therapist says he has had a lot of patients that have had problems with painkillers as a result. I was taking super large quantities and no one knew it because I was in the zone

Adderall is similar...most of my ADD stuff is gone, but cant say I get much energy from it. I honestly still prefer opiates to Adderall but I feel better I am actually treating a problem with the correct medication rather than abusing another one....even though I think science needs to look "outside the box" and see what some of these meds can do for people with mental disorders outside of the pain only tunnel...

Knotting Blob
01-30-12, 12:11 PM
Yes I have been learning a lot about myself the last couple months through this. In a nutshell, I have had a huge issues with opiates, not because they make me feel "high" but because they totally eliminate all my ADD symptoms, makes me super social, productive, energetic, etc. I always felt so confused and guilty by this but now I understand. My ADD therapist says he has had a lot of patients that have had problems with painkillers as a result. I was taking super large quantities and no one knew it because I was in the zone

Adderall is similar...most of my ADD stuff is gone, but cant say I get much energy from it. I honestly still prefer opiates to Adderall but I feel better I am actually treating a problem with the correct medication rather than abusing another one....even though I think science needs to look "outside the box" and see what some of these meds can do for people with mental disorders outside of the pain only tunnel...

That's interesting about opiates.

cameron90
01-30-12, 12:24 PM

Hmmm... you prefer opiates to Adderall? Interesting. I take codeine for back pain (from an compression fracture from an accident years back) and I like the euphoria that it gives. But it does not do anything for my ADHD symptoms, besides maybe calming me down and making me less impulsive in doing things, but I talk excessively. That's just my case.

I do feel very sociable when I'm on my painkillers but it's not something that I would always like to feel. I cannot really do work or concentrate on opiates. Self-medicating with opiates is not a good idea at all, but I have read reports of opiates being used in EXTREME cases of treatment resistant depression. I was given dexedrine for my depression as an off-label treatment a few years ago. The main thing with opiates is the issue of tolerance and addiction, which can be absolutely devastating.

YOUCANCALLMEAL
01-30-12, 06:03 PM
Hmmm... you prefer opiates to Adderall? Interesting. I take codeine for back pain (from an compression fracture from an accident years back) and I like the euphoria that it gives. But it does not do anything for my ADHD symptoms, besides maybe calming me down and making me less impulsive in doing things, but I talk excessively. That's just my case.

I do feel very sociable when I'm on my painkillers but it's not something that I would always like to feel. I cannot really do work or concentrate on opiates. Self-medicating with opiates is not a good idea at all, but I have read reports of opiates being used in EXTREME cases of treatment resistant depression. I was given dexedrine for my depression as an off-label treatment a few years ago. The main thing with opiates is the issue of tolerance and addiction, which can be absolutely devastating.

Yes and that's the problem is tolerance and it happens quickly...plus they mix the stuff with tylenol and that's so harsh on your liver so you start taking a lot and it becomes dangerous.

Everyone is different and no one reacts the same. I don't want to turn this into a thread getting ADDers jazzed about trying painkillers to help with their ADD...that path goes nowhere. But I am in the very early stages of Adderall so it's still early to say but yes I'd say I prefer opiates. Adderall has killed my appetite, caused some sleep issues, etc and I didn't really have and bad side effects from Norco/Vicodin as long as I didn't take it close to bedtime, because it was such a crazy stimulant for me it gave me insomnia.

Funny how a "depressant" in vicodin was actually a stimulant and a "stimulant" in adderall actually acts as more of a depressant for...calming me down and slowing everything down

Kaimei
01-31-12, 12:51 AM

I walked a very fine line with opiates for a long time, because I experienced much the same thing you describe: calm, focused, capable, relaxed. My tolerance to stress was hugely increased, and I functioned extremely well on them. I could drive, go to work, etc, safely and productively on 1500 mgs of percocet, and I'm only 5'2" and 105 lbs. It
was easy for me because I've been prescribed opiates for long periods of time in fairly large doses due to other health issues and several major surgeries.

There were times, pre-ADHD diagnosis, when I took them simply because I was struggling with depression or anxiety, and nothing else I've ever been prescribed gave me the same level of functionality. I don't think I was abusing them, but that's due as much to luck and timing as anything else. I was definitely self-medicating though, and misusing them. I struggled with it, though,psychologically, and I think if my diagnosis had been any later I would have considered myself addicted.

In the year since I've started treatment for ADHD, I haven't used them or thought about taking them except in discussions like the ones here. It seems to be somewhat common with ADHD to have atypical reactions to medications, and I find it oddly comforting when I hear someone else with ADHD describing a similar experience with opiates.

icecreamfiend
01-31-12, 01:05 AM
Wow, this is all new information to me (effects of opiates, pain killers, etc) We really are hardwired differently than normal people huh? Fascinating

AC360CNN
01-31-12, 04:04 AM
Wow, this is all new information to me (effects of opiates, pain killers, etc) We really are hardwired differently than normal people huh? Fascinating

Maybe I don't have ADHD and that's why Adderall makes me feel high. So I'm basically on a drug scientifically manufactured for long term, sustained use, that was designed to reduce the incidence of tolerance, and it makes me feel great? Oh, and it helps me be extremely productive as well?

Its like I get the ADHD benefits plus I'm going to experience enhanced mood, for life.

Awesome.

YOUCANCALLMEAL
01-31-12, 10:24 AM

Fascinating for me too.

I was a little nervous trying Adderall the first time because if I got all the "highs" and energy and feeling full of pep, etc etc that meant it wasn't the right med, but if I just felt calm and focused then it was the right drug and right diagnosis.

And 4 days into it that's exactly what it is so I can 100% confirm I have ADD

YOUCANCALLMEAL
01-31-12, 10:53 AM

This is EXACTLY what my doctor said. All of it, along with the stuff about insomnia/major stimulation from painkillers.

Siglerja, Reading your posts throughout the forum you seem extremely knowledgeable and in tune with all of this. Are you in medicine or psychiatry if you don't mind me asking?

cameron90
01-31-12, 10:56 AM

Very fascinating. People really thought I was weird after drinking 3 or 4 redbulls (do not recommend this, I am now almost 6 months clean from energy drinks), doing an hour of work, and then falling straight asleep. Or that 5 hour energy stuff I tried once and it just made me so tired, I wanted to go to the store and demand a refund...

karbouris
01-31-12, 11:38 AM
Um... Define "high". I have a tendency to feel like super woman while on it... Till it wears off. :/

AC360CNN
01-31-12, 02:51 PM
Um... Define "high". I have a tendency to feel like super woman while on it... Till it wears off. :/

High means elevated mood. Cocaine is a drug largely used for enhancing social experiences, but Adderall feels the same. The differences are subtle.

Yea feeling like super woman means you're high, but I guess we don't usually call it that when talking about legal prescriptions, even though its the same thing. Fascinating how we make that distinction.

icecreamfiend
01-31-12, 04:07 PM
Very fascinating. People really thought I was weird after drinking 3 or 4 redbulls (do not recommend this, I am now almost 6 months clean from energy drinks), doing an hour of work, and then falling straight asleep. Or that 5 hour energy stuff I tried once and it just made me so tired, I wanted to go to the store and demand a refund...

Can totally relate haha. Except my stimulant of choice (before the medication) was black coffee. I love the taste of coffee so I wasn't even necessarily drinking it just to stay awake and alert. My usual at Starbucks would be a venti iced coffee. That was just to keep me going, not to wake up.

I rarely feel the need to drink it anymore because of medication but I enjoy a good cup time to time for its taste :)

How do you feel not drinking the energy drinks anymore? I find myself less fatigued throughout the day since I stopped.

icecreamfiend
01-31-12, 04:11 PM
This is EXACTLY what my doctor said. All of it, along with the stuff about insomnia/major stimulation from painkillers.

Siglerja, Reading your posts throughout the forum you seem extremely knowledgeable and in tune with all of this. Are you in medicine or psychiatry if you don't mind me asking?

Ahhh...so that's why the two doctors I've seen for an ADHD consultation asked that question haha, sneaky people. That's how they get those students trying to score easy meds ;)

Isn't cocaine super powerful though? like even for an ADHD person does it really still calm them down rather than facing the type of side effects of taking too high a dosage for stimulant medication? anxiety, nervousness, rapid heart beat, etc.

Cat123
01-31-12, 05:41 PM
I have tried different drugs in my life but cocaine is the one I liked. Now, mind you, there is alot of bad 'cut' coke so that when you do it you feel very speedy. Once I did some good coke and I felt calm, focused, cleaned out my basement, etc. I started Vyvanse about four days ago and it has made me unfocused, etc. I am trying Adderall tomorrow. I don't want the high feeling just calm and focused and hopefully it will work.

Kaimei
02-01-12, 10:10 AM
Maybe I don't have ADHD and that's why Adderall makes me feel high. So I'm basically on a drug scientifically manufactured for long term, sustained use, that was designed to reduce the incidence of tolerance, and it makes me feel great? Oh, and it helps me be extremely productive as well?

Its like I get the ADHD benefits plus I'm going to experience enhanced mood, for life.

Awesome.

Certain reactions to medications can be an indicator of a condition, but they are absolutely NOT a diagnostic tool. If you're really uncertain about your diagnosis, ask for additional testing our get a second opinion, but don't base it on your reaction to just one drug used to treat the disorder.

karbouris
02-01-12, 08:13 PM
High means elevated mood. Cocaine is a drug largely used for enhancing social experiences, but Adderall feels the same. The differences are subtle.

Yea feeling like super woman means you're high, but I guess we don't usually call it that when talking about legal prescriptions, even though its the same thing. Fascinating how we make that distinction.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! I just thought it was amphetamine psychosis. I like the amphetamine but shoooo! It has to be the most personality flattening thing I have ever seen. I try to stay off it as well. I told my doctor to just leave me on Ritalin because I am actually friendly, actually making friends ETC. No matter how much I beg in 2 weeks to a month from now don't stick me back on it. I am becoming dependent on the Emotional numbing of this. So I won't touch :P

La Sleepy
02-03-12, 11:35 AM
It looks like I'm about to start on Adderall (there are scripts waiting for me to go pick up, I was told yesterday) after many years on Dexedrine, so I'm naturally looking for info in Adderall. I tried cocaine way back in the 80's and only a little, and it was like taking a 5 mg dexedrine IR with some extra sparkly stuff in it that made you feel sort of glittery for about 15 minutes. And then it was done. But I'm hoping Adderall will be helpful for me, as in help me function, so this is good info for me. Thanks!

Komod0Dragon
02-03-12, 07:39 PM
I've never done anything in this world that tweaks you out. If you consider caffeine to be it, then that is all I've done.

It certainly does make me feel "wired." I can feel exhausted (even if I did get a good nights sleep) and then suddenly I have a rush of energy from feeling so awake.

It doesn't conquer the procrasination, but it gives you the energy you always thought you had.

Just to edit...I never really experience a down with Adderall either. Though sometimes it impairs my ability to sleep. At that point I turned to melatonin to help me out.

siglerja
02-10-12, 04:46 PM
Definitely no euphoria like cocaine. In hind sight, I think I was attracted to cocaine because of the very reason I have ADD, though I didn't know I had ADD back then. I thought I was... just off and not like everyone else... didn't know what though and I had to always disguise my "differentness". Cocaine helped me be like everyone else in social situations, and focused... I thought. You are hyper focused but the euphoria gets in the way.

Extremely good insight.

siglerja
02-10-12, 04:57 PM

Awesome..

Unfortunately, the mood enhancing properties and uplift you experience early on is fleeting. You'll still get the focus and impulse control but you won't get artificial motivation or a "high" after a while. A few ADDers get it in the initial stages, most don't - Using that reaction as a measuring stick to see if you're ADD or not is a bit dated, as I've mentioned, but a good rule of thumb in case you're wondering if this stuff is actually treating actual ADHD.

The amount of people medicating depression with ADHD medication alone is staggering - I would say that it's actually RARE to find someone who has ADHD and doesn't have depression, anxiety or some other disorder along with it these days. ADHD meds were the first antidepressants, used in the 1950s and 1960s until housewives started to get addicted or go nuts. They were shelved in favor of the triglyceride antidepressants and eventually reemerged as ADHD became a much more "popular" diagnosis in the 1980s and 1990s. Amphetamine will temporarily cure depression of just about any kind, which is why people almost always have a positive reaction to it initially - Get to about Month 9 and see how you feel at the same dose. That should tell you if you're trying to medicate depression or anxiety with an ADHD medication, ADHD-positive or not.

xXMorphineXx
02-12-12, 04:27 PM
My therapist asked me if I had ever used cocaine. I hadn't. But he did say if you truly have ADD you get a very different reaction to cocaine than those that don't. IE Not high and all over the place, more introspective and "chill" and that's pretty much what Adderall is doing for me

Fascinating that these drugs have such a different effect on us

This is definitely not entirely true whatsoever...Just because you feel a stimulating affect from opiates does not by any means mean you have ADD. I have been addicted to opiates for 5 years (Heroin) and have extensive experience and knowledge of them. It is very very true that opiates give a stimulating effect to some, but this distinguishes the people that get addicted and the people that don't, not ADD. The opposite of the stimulant effect is pretty much just falling asleep. You wouldn't like a drug that put you asleep would you? Before I was addicted to opiates, ADD medication gave me the euphoria and "on top of the world" feeling. Recently, since I have been on Adderall, and off the opiates (except Suboxone) the Adderall does not give me any euphoria whatsoever. I do agree completely that self medication on the other hand is a sign of ADD/ADHD.

I have actually been trying to figure out what my opiate abuse has done to my neurochemistry. They say that strong opiates rewire your reward center in your brain, perhaps maybe so that they alone give you those feelings of euphoria? Just a guess. It is quite weird that amphetamine based medication use to make me "high" before my addiction, and does the complete opposite after.

I am new to these forums and don't know ALL the rules yet.

Kaimei
02-13-12, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimei http://www.addforums.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1245090#post1245090)

Awesome..

Unfortunately, the mood enhancing properties and uplift you experience early on is fleeting. You'll still get the focus and impulse control but you won't get artificial motivation or a "high" after a while. A few ADDers get it in the initial stages, most don't - Using that reaction as a measuring stick to see if you're ADD or not is a bit dated, as I've mentioned, but a good rule of thumb in case you're wondering if this stuff is actually treating actual ADHD.

The amount of people medicating depression with ADHD medication alone is staggering - I would say that it's actually RARE to find someone who has ADHD and doesn't have depression, anxiety or some other disorder along with it these days. ADHD meds were the first antidepressants, used in the 1950s and 1960s until housewives started to get addicted or go nuts. They were shelved in favor of the triglyceride antidepressants and eventually reemerged as ADHD became a much more "popular" diagnosis in the 1980s and 1990s. Amphetamine will temporarily cure depression of just about any kind, which is why people almost always have a positive reaction to it initially - Get to about Month 9 and see how you feel at the same dose. That should tell you if you're trying to medicate depression or anxiety with an ADHD medication, ADHD-positive or not.

Not sure why the post you responded to showed up under my name - that quote is from the OP, not me. I do have depression, and seeking treatment for it is what lead to the diagnosis of my ADHD. I've known about my depression my entire life, but no treatment for it was very effective until I began managing my ADHD as well. I used to self-medicate, but no longer feel the urge to do so.

It's been over a year since my diagnosis and treatment with Adderall, and I've seen a significant reduction in my depression, but it's still there and requires management along with the ADHD. My dose has been consistent for over nine months.

ADDinHDefgHi?!
02-15-12, 08:43 AM
Well, there are different grades of cocaine floating around out there, and I haven't done much of it but I could tell the difference between what was closer to pure and what was who knows what.

The first time I tried cocaine I became calm and went and picked up a guitar and felt very focused. Another time I just felt very happy and calm. One of the times I tried the really bad coke I felt like an anxiety attack.

I can take IR Adderall and immediately feel much more calm and anxiety free, all my thoughts come into focus and I actually want to get things done, but not in a tweaker way. I just feel a calm motivation. If I take a little too much I'll feel irritated and emotionally flat, occasionally a little too amped up.

But I think meds effect everyone different to some extent and as said earlier generalizing their effect is not a great diagnostic tool on it's own. But I'm no Doctor.

Fraser_0762
02-15-12, 08:54 AM
I've tried cocaine before. It just gave me a crystal clear mind, I never really felt any different inside. Caffeine gives me more of a buzz than cocaine, strangely enough...

tired1823
02-15-12, 12:32 PM
Adderall is an amphetamine. Same family as methamphetamine.

tired1823
02-15-12, 05:12 PM
Something on Methamphetamine... I'm sorry but as an amphetamine... Adderall is similar on a milder scale. Adderall has this effect on a milder scale.

"I consider it the devils drug because you trade your soul for it, its deceiving. It shows you a key that you can use in this life to benefit yourself, but you are deceived and can only use the key to get more meth. Coming from a user, I honestly believe meth is hell on earth, the forbidden fruit, the devil himself. You think you are slick, one step ahead and have everything planed out, but meth is the master manipulator, you work for it. You will fall for its same tricks, same order, EVERY time."

tired1823
02-15-12, 05:14 PM
Also..

"its the most dangerous drugs beacause it makes you as happy as you could ever be the first few times and every 1 wants to be happy because evolution made us so we do things that increase our chance of suvival and reproduction and rewards it with happyness meth gives you that happyness straight away very hard then youre body gets used to it and you need more and more in the end oyu wont be happy at all"

iheartu
02-17-12, 09:12 AM

so thats why i didnt care for cocaine

i take dexedrine which is a lot like adderall and even when i take a higher dose, i never feel euphoric

desulove
02-21-12, 12:53 PM
Ive never done cocaine or stimulants,I actually bucked taking meds till I was 27 and at that point I kind of had to as my world ws falling apart around me.THe best High I ever had was when I took my motorcycle to 150 mph.

Being someone who has used a lot of drugs and rode a lot of sportbikes.

I have to say going out for a thrash is one of the best highs I have ever had! Near misses gave me a psychedelic feeling and a massive rush stronger then most drugs I have tried.

I actually got depressed and had "withdrawals" when I rode off my bike and couldn't afford a new one...

Ahh thinking about it makes me CRAVE it. I can't wait to get other things in life sorted so I can save for a new one! Probley more dangrous then most drugs thou! :lol:

eeilyk
02-23-12, 03:59 AM
I definitely have has drug abuse issues in the past, stimulants were my drugs of choice.. I hate weed, but i love alcohol. I did have a problem with GHB, ironically it's a depressant, but you're definitely more out there and crazy than anything else i've experienced.. I think i liked being in the mind frame because i had an excuse for my random, loud, crazy self..
Anyhow,my psychiatrist explained to me that street speed/ice (you guys might know it as meth) has a much longer half life than prescription stimulants and you normally would have a lot more than someone who was taking medication for a condition. Thus, people with ADHD, can still get a big buzz off abusing stimulants, prescription or street. I'm sure that most of you who take prescribed stimulants went through a process of experimentation (on advise from your doctor of course) with your dosage, and if you got to one that made you feel agitated and restless, you would know that you're dosage would be one step down from that. So i assume that that is the line that illegal stimulant use crosses.
I can't say i've ever felt focused or normal on illegal stimulants, i have defintiely got stuck on things to the point where i will sit there for 8 hours until i get the answer, but that isn't a good feeling, i feel out of control because i can't do anything to stop myself from doing it.

I've only been on dex for a few days and i'm still in two minds. I was quieter and less fidgety which was great at work, but people love me for my big crazy personality and that seems to have really disappeared. I've read about this happening with children and i'm hoping that in my case, it's just because my anxiety meds need to be changed and i'm only starting out.

As for weed, it just makes me confused. My partner has suspected ADHD-I and he was a big stoner for many many years, and he was much worse back when he smoked every day. Now he is only occasional and he feels more scattered and lost when he has it.

Piper30
02-23-12, 04:42 AM
Well this is one area I haven't ever touched on in the forums ...guess you guys really are going to know every nook and cranny of my life lol

When I first started reading the thread I was confused ... back in the day when I experimented cocaine was so confusing, yes, I was able to handle social situations with less discomfort but didn't seem to blown (not intended) away like everyone else was. Even asked someone if I was doing something wrong lol I was simply not as anxious ..

later in life came X, I admit suddenly the green andoid guy was VERY interesting and I found it quite amusing his dialated eyes matched mine..but where people went to raves? Clubs? The music? Oh my goodness ...anything with a beat faster then a slow Johnny Cash song made me want to crawl out of my skin. I didn't love everyone either..in fact some of the things that get on my nerves now only became more apparent ... but if it was just me, the green android guy, and slow music ...I suppose I came close to a "high" than with cocaine.

Weed .. smoke for the first time when pain meds weren't helping. Didn't get cool munchies, didn't giggle..but pain went away and I slept. Yay. Sad to say I am all sqeaky clean now ...best pain reliever/muscle relaxer ever.

While I am confessing and sharing, booze ...can't drink beer it is just not something my body likes. I could never have "one drink" ..one drink and my muscles hurt, I felt fidgety and all out of sorts. So the two months of my life I partied it up it was shot, shot, shot, drink, shot, shot....wtf am I doing? This is stupid.

I feel left out, I never got to have fun like everyone else lol

AC360CNN
02-23-12, 05:54 PM
I wonder how many people successfully self medicate with cocaine. Its possible but risky. The stigma makes it even harder. Imagine a coworker walking into the restroom and seeing you finish a line of coke ....:eek:

Rebelyell
02-23-12, 06:20 PM
When I wrecked my bike in 04 over memorial day weekend before I even rode it into magog canada,when the weekend was over I went too july 3 w out a bike being I couldnt afford a 8 g plus bike I got myself an 86 nighthawk 700 sc just to get back on a bike I was so jonesing.I never ever got to have the opportunity to try cocaine/drugs before < i never got invited to parties and now I feel like I missed out on alot of fun even tho people tell me otherwise,boy I suck:(

YOUCANCALLMEAL
02-24-12, 12:07 PM
Interesting stuff...what I am finding is that a lot of us experience the same things with all these drugs, namely we all react very differently to most of them then your average person because we are wired so differently (which would also explain why ADDers have issues with addiction)

Alcohol-I rarely drink anymore and don't enjoy it when i do. It gives me insomnia, raises my B/P, makes me feel more anxious and I HATE HATE HATE the after affects

Opiates-Already been discussed-my favorite. Major stimulator and motivational drug for me. Also gives me insomnia if I take it too close to bed time.

Cocaine-I've never tried but seems to give ADDers a "chill and calm feeling"

Adderall-Definitely very chill for me, but kind of intense. My mind is focused, but physically I feel drained. I don't want to move. All I want to do is chill and work or read.

Marijuana-Been a long time, but at first it was the funnest drug in the world, then it gave me tremendous anxiety and paranoia. I have had a couple doctors tell me that weed is the worst drug in the world for an ADDer and to avoid it

Hypoactive
02-24-12, 02:23 PM
adderall only made me feel euphoric the first time i took it, and i've never tried cocaine...

i have, however, been on *massive* doses of opiates, several times in life. i'm ADD-PI, and no opiate has ever had a stimulating effect...in fact, while on intravenous hydromorphone 'round the clock for 5 days straight, my family said i looked and acted just like a heroin addict:

sitting up hunched over, while constantly falling asleep mid-sentence and drooling, all with a big smile on my face. :o

there are no words to accurately describe the feeling, but here's how strong it was: after years of infertility, i'd just delivered my first and only child, and yet, the euphoria from the drug completely overtook any possible jubilation over having the baby -- it was as if someone else had had the baby and i was just there as a spectator in my own life...if that even made any sense.:giggle:

(and the nurses actually tried to convince me that keeping my newborn in my room would be a "good idea"?? holy crap, i wasn't even capable of taking care of a pet rock at that point. :faint:)

sarahsweets
02-24-12, 04:22 PM
I'm going to sound like a newbie moron but what's the diff between amphetamine, methamphetamie and cocaine?

madanktank
09-15-12, 07:33 PM
Even though we have ADD it doesnt make it react oppositely to drugs. Yes at our prescribed doses of adderall or vyvanse it doesnt make us wired but rather makes us feel calm and focused, but that is because our prescribed doses are not very high in addition to the fact that we get used to our medication. All of you ADDers out there Id bet a c-note on the fact that if you stopped taking your medication for a year and then took one of my 70 mg vyvanses youd be charging like you drank more than a couple red bulls.

And now on this talk about opiates HA! I was a junkie for 5 years. I shot my dope and I nodded the **** out. No one living on this ******* earth could take a shot of H and be wired from it. Same goes for coke.

So yes maybe at very low mgs of either substance we may have a slight bit of an opposite effect. But like i said thats at LOW medically prescribed doses. recreational doses act the same on everyone i dont care who you are. and i have ADHD im not just speaking outta my *** here.

Anyone reading this thread no vicodin does not make you focus like adderall thats just the dumbest ******* thing ive ever heard.