View Full Version : Things that helped your memory without medicine

andy78
01-09-12, 08:34 AM
I have a very bad memory i.e. short term memory , maybe long time as well.

I have big problems due to this especially at work place. My colleagues get upset with me when I ask the same question again and again.

I have heard something about exercise to improve working memory.

Can some folks out here pour in some suggestions which has really helped them improve on their memory without the help of medicine.

namazu
01-09-12, 12:14 PM
I have not yet found ways to actually improve my working memory, other than by taking medicine.

There have been some studies recently of software that trains working memory, with positive effects reported, but I would like to see more independent studies before I am convinced that it works.

For me, the best strategy has been to accept that, at least for the moment, my working memory is terrible, and to work around that problem, rather than trying to fix it directly.

So I use reminders of all kinds (computer alarms, vibrating watches, lists, sticky notes, etc.). I have to write down (or audio-record) immediately any information I will need to remember. I sometimes ask people to send me e-mail about events or meetings, or ask people to remind me about work I'd said I'd do.

If the questions you ask at work are about procedures, could you make (or request) a checklist showing how to do what you're supposed to do? If the questions are about things said in meetings, can you get a small digital voice recorder so you could listen again, or take notes? If the questions are about deadlines, can you enter them into a calendar (paper or electronic)?

Those are my suggestions!

Etcetera
01-09-12, 12:43 PM
The ONLY thing I can do to improve my short term memory, is to write down.

What is written, is more easily remembered than what has been said. I could (almost) throw away the piece of paper it's written on.

... Now just to remember to write it down.

Kaimei
01-09-12, 12:44 PM
Writing things down helps me - I'm a kinetic learner, so the act of writing helps. I carry a little notebook with me, or at work I used to keep a sticky note on my badge.

I've done this for years, well before my diagnosis. At home, I use dry erase markers on my mirrors.

Have you thought about figuring out what kind of learner you are? There is a really simple helpful test to break it down and figure out your strong and weak areas. Like I said, I'm kinetic, so I remember better if there's motion involved, but there's also auditory, visual, etc.

Saboit
01-09-12, 12:47 PM
It's hard to tell.
You don't really know if it helps

andy78
06-20-12, 06:40 AM
Guys?

Fuzzy12
06-20-12, 07:12 AM
-Lists and writing things down. Especially at work. In a meeting if I want to remember anything I need to write it down. It also helps me focus during the meeting
-Alarms, task schedulers, calendars, etc.
-Asking other people to remind me

-If I really need to memorise something (like a number) then I use associations to make it stick in my mind.