View Full Version : How long for stims to take effect ?

neewsmonth
01-11-12, 12:02 AM
For those who tried (prescribed) stimulants - How much time did it take from the day you took your first stimulant pill, till the day it snapped and you didn't need to try different dose or substance ?

If you started with 1 stimulant, it didn't work and you switched to a different one, count the days of both.

BR549
01-11-12, 12:06 AM
Hmmmm......When I switched from Concerta to Adderall I started on 10mg XR. About a month later moved to 20mg XR, about a week or so later, moved to 25mg XR and have been there ever since. Don't know how many days/weeks/months exactly between titrating up doses. I'm guesstimating.

Before that, I was on 18mg Concerta for about a month, maybe a little less.

neewsmonth
01-11-12, 12:15 AM
Thanks BR!

I placed a poll so that we have a big picture - there's a lot of posts from ppl worried about whether they are taking the right pill, too long, too much, etc. as they can't wait for them to take effect. It will be nice to have some collective knowledge in one place.

trishcan
01-11-12, 12:27 AM
I'm not sure how to answer this question. I think that for most of us, there's never one pill or one dose that works magically forever. There may be less switching around, but in the vast majority of cases, at least a few minor tweeks will be required from time to time.

For instance, the first time I took 18mg Concerta, it was fabulous for months. After some time, I increased my dose. After another six months or so, another small dose increase.

After around 5 or 6 years, I switched to Vyvanse. Back to Concerta after a month or so, and back to Vyvanse after another 18 months, but only for a week or two, after which time I tried Vyvanse with an Adderall booster, and finally settled on Adderall IR (10mg 3x/day)...which has been my treatment of choice since May of last year.

As far as I see it, using medication to manage most conditions--ADHD included--is always a work in progress.

BR549
01-11-12, 12:51 AM
Okay, let me edit...I could tell immediately that Adderall was a winner. I knew that it was working and my pdoc and I discussed how it was working and we both felt there was room for improvement. So , i moved to 20mg XR. That's when I noticed a BIGGER improvement but I still felt that a small bump up would be beneficial, so I moved to 25mg, then added an IR booster (5mg) in the afternoon.

So, I knew from the get-go it was working, just that I knew there was room for improvement :)

So, technically, I could choose the first option, or the second, third, fourth and fifth. I'm not sure which one to choose......:confused:

neewsmonth
01-11-12, 02:03 AM
Ok, if you have had many trial periods across several years, take the shortest one (shortest adjustment).

If you had some effects, but still felt some room for improvement... imagine your pills cost $100 each little one, and you need to stop adjusting as soon as you can :D

sarahsweets
01-11-12, 05:31 AM
All of the medication i've tried (Ritalin, concerta, dex and adderall )I was effective immediately. I didn't need to wait for it to build up or anything. The deciding factor was the side effects. The meds I did not do well on had bad side effects and I knew that immediately too.

ADHDTigger
01-12-12, 12:18 AM
I'm moving from Ritalin IR to a long acting. The move is more for my own convenience.

I have done well on both methylphenidate and Adderall's combined isomer. I do better with methylphenidate and have little if any rebound.

When I started Ritalin this last time, we took four months to titrate. If that timeline was impacted by the fact that my husband was dying is not known. In the last week of hubby's life I was allowed to use what I needed and when I needed it. I was no longer on anything that remotely resembled a schedule.

Like Sarah, if I am going to respond badly to a med, I know it immediately.

known_guy
01-12-12, 12:39 AM
I had difficulty answering this question myself... I've gone through many of the possible stimulant medications one can be prescribed. The first medication I tried was Dexedrine, and my God, I couldn't sleep. For days. It was horrible. Within a week I made a switch, my first of many... I mean, the stimulants most definitely work(ed) from Day 1, but I am not sure if choosing the first option in the poll is appropriate for me. So, over a month.

neewsmonth
01-13-12, 09:59 PM
Well, the main idea of this poll is to answer the doubt :

"If I take a stimulant, and I don't feel enough of positive effects, how long should I try on ?"
Even though side effects may sometimes make you stop using it at all, if you feel the improvement you dreamed of from day 1, choose day 1.

Another way of thinking abt it would be: "Did I get what I paid for, or is this a bloody placebo?" - as if you bought your stims over the net from a scientologists' website ;)

WorkAholic
01-15-12, 03:10 PM
I have a hard time answering this question because I really haven't found the perfect dosage/medication that works great for me. I read the forums and some people are instantly better. That's not the case for me. It's been about 5 months now and I'm still working on it.

It's very random with me. Sometimes the Dexedrine will work great and sometimes it doesn't do anything. I'm on to my 3rd doctor since I moved to Colorado.

I'm not giving up though...other people's stories on this forum help me to keep trying to find the perfect medication/combination of meds.

known_guy
01-15-12, 03:37 PM
I have a hard time answering this question because I really haven't found the perfect dosage/medication that works great for me. I read the forums and some people are instantly better. That's not the case for me. It's been about 5 months now and I'm still working on it.

It's very random with me. Sometimes the Dexedrine will work great and sometimes it doesn't do anything. I'm on to my 3rd doctor since I moved to Colorado.

I'm not giving up though...other people's stories on this forum help me to keep trying to find the perfect medication/combination of meds.

I can relate. Took me a long while to find what works for me. At this point I settled for what I can tolerate OK. I wish you luck with finding what's best!