View Full Version : Lamictal and memory problems

GradSchlBlues
01-11-12, 03:45 PM
I've been titrating up on Lamictal now for 5 weeks, and worry that it might be the reason for my apparently declining short-term memory. I can't seem to find the right words for things lately, and forget everything (and I mean EVERYthing). I already have terrible memory problems as it is, which I guess might be due to adhd, but now they seem to be getting worse! I had no idea this could be caused (or worsened, at least) by lamictal, since my pdoc didn't say anything about it...

My psychologist thinks I have ADHD, so I did all the testing, and I was diagnosed for that. But my psychiatrist still doesn't seem to know for sure - I think she believes it might be bipolar (even though if I've ever had mania at all, it was only hypomania, and I can't remember it, anyway). A previous psych thought it might be borderline, and others through the years have just said it's depression/anxiety. By I get off topic, sorry...

Has anyone found that Lamictal had a bad cognitive effect on them, problems with short-term memory, or long-term memory? And if you have, were you able to find another mood stabilizer instead, that has worked better in the memory department?

Thanks!!

emploding
01-11-12, 04:54 PM
I'm on lamictal but can't attribute my memory problems to it necessarily.

There are heaps of other mood stabilisers you can try. Talk to your doctor and see if they have any other suggestions. Lithium can be ok, but I think it's really archaic and there are better ones. I found depakote to be good, but caused a lot of weight gain.

mrs. dobbs
01-21-12, 05:21 AM
I had recall problems on Lamictal. I liked lamictal, but I couldn't sleep and couldn't access information readily in my already disorganized head-- at least before I had a zillion different bits of info at the ready. Lamictal helped my ADD a bit, but that may have been because it tucked my competing thoughts, vocabulary and memory away.

GradSchlBlues
01-24-12, 08:47 PM
@ mrs. dobbs,
Mind if I ask what strength you were at? I just saw my doc today and she claimed that I shouldn't feel memory loss at 150mg, but then again, my short-term memory was already total crap before I started Lamictal. So it's hard for me to tell whether it's the med or just my ADD mind...?

GradSchlBlues
01-24-12, 08:49 PM
Oh, for what it's worth, I'm also on 30mg Vyvanse. Hmmm.