View Full Version : New to this

NurseKate16
01-13-12, 09:59 AM
Hi all.. I am a 25 year old single mom to a 6 year old boy named Lance. I just found out Monday he has ADHD. I have suspected this for some time but his school wanted to hold him back a year in kindergarten and see if it was just a maturity issue. His fidgeting and lack of attention span continued this year so we saw a neurologist on Monday. He did testing with him and has no doubt this is what he has. He is an overall good child and wants to be good. Sometimes he just gets over excited and can't control himself and he can not sit still. The doctor would like to start him on meds in one month (not sure which med yet). It is both relieving to have a diagnosis and stressful at the same time. I know I have a lot of reading and research to do. I was just wondering if there are any tips you fellow parents have for making changes at home and how to handle this?

bradenjaysmom
01-22-12, 03:47 AM
I also just found out that my 7 year old son has ADHD. I don't really have any advice for you since I'm new to this too, but just thought I'd offer you some words of encouragement. My son recently started on Vyvanse, and I am amazed at how quickly it works. Within about an hour of taking it in the morning you can start to tell a difference and it lasts until about 6pm. He said he can feel a difference, he says he doesn't feel distracted when he takes it, and he is able to not only start a task on time, but also complete it in a timely manner. I hope you are able to find the right medicine for your son, and I wish the best.

Dizfriz
01-22-12, 10:40 AM
You might find some value in the essays at http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60130

Since the best tool for dealing with the disorder is good valid information, look at the one titled "What is ADHD and how does it affect people"

Welcome to the forum and good luck both of you.

Dizfriz