View Full Version : First dose never works very well? Anyone heard of anything like this before?

gamer6592
01-14-12, 02:56 PM
I take Adderall normal release 20Mg in the morning and 20Mg in the afternoon. The first dose I normally take around 10AM and the second around 3PM. The first dose never really does a lot for me. Is this from the tolerance? Should I up the dosage to 25Mg in the morning and 20Mg in the afternoon or stop taking it for a while or what? I hate being stuck in between a rock and a hard place like this. I'm either building up a tolerance or I can't focus for ****. Any tips? Thank you.

Urgezz
01-14-12, 07:41 PM
depends how long youve been taking it. over a few months then its probably tolerance and you should ask your doctor about upping the dose or if you can survive it, take a month break.

gamer6592
01-15-12, 01:33 AM
depends how long youve been taking it. over a few months then its probably tolerance and you should ask your doctor about upping the dose or if you can survive it, take a month break.

I've been on it since september.
Upping the dose from 40Mg a day? That already seems like the "cap" of what one should be taking, no? Maybe it's just my fear of most pills. I definitely can't do a month without it

addtention
01-15-12, 02:35 AM
I have issues with my meds working as well but find before meds my productive times were not early in the day.

Maybe the first dose gets your head in the game as in your mental state then the second dose finally placebos you into the mode you need to be in along with the medication benefit.

trishcan
01-15-12, 02:38 AM
My first dose is never as effective as subsequent doses, but I think that's just because my brain functions better in the later hours of the day. Medication can't do what your brain refuses to do on the best of days. Of course, if this is a recent phenomenon, I can see why you'd attribute it (possibly accurately) to the dose of adderall.

gamer6592
01-16-12, 02:53 AM
add: I'm not sure I understand what your first line was saying. Are you saying you weren't as productive in the mornings even before you started taking pills?

That's exactly how it feels. It's like the first dose is my "preparation dose."

trish: Come to think of it, I'm not sure if it is recent or if it has always been happening. I'm wanting to say it has been happening though.

Urgezz
01-16-12, 05:30 PM
i can confirm that feeling; first dose in the morning is never the one that gets me going for the day. then again if you think about it, adderall is supposed to normalize you relative to an ADHD brain. how many "normal" people do YOU know that pop out of bed in the morning, bright eyed and bushy tailed? lol

spunkysmum
01-17-12, 07:14 PM
how many "normal" people do YOU know that pop out of bed in the morning, bright eyed and bushy tailed? lol

None anymore. I had to kill them all. LOL.

Kidding, obviously. :D

chopsui
01-18-12, 09:00 PM
Depends if you take it with or without food and how acidic your stomah is in the morning. Some people, like me, tend to have more.acid in the morning thus reducing the amount absorbed. I also take it about 1-2 hours before eating with 500ml of water

gamer6592
01-19-12, 02:11 AM
Hmm. Never really heard of that effecting it before. Interesting. I don't eat breakfast. Or much at all for that matter because of the Adderall. Lol.
Btw I love your username if it is for the S.o.a.D song

spunkysmum
01-19-12, 02:16 AM
Depends if you take it with or without food and how acidic your stomah is in the morning. Some people, like me, tend to have more.acid in the morning thus reducing the amount absorbed. I also take it about 1-2 hours before eating with 500ml of water

I take mine with a full bottle of water in the morning. Before I even get up from bed, actually. Keeps me from falling back to sleep.

Urgezz
01-19-12, 03:32 AM
i used to do that, but these days all pills-in-bed do is make me feel even cozier lol. i blame the new tempurpedic pillow >_<

also i got into a bad habit of relying on the pill to wake up...i know what happens when you let adderall take over things you don't need it to -- one habit ends up justifying another

chopsui
01-19-12, 06:29 PM
The more acidic your stomach the less.medicine absorbs, the more acidic your urine the less medicine reabsorbs. Try taking a tums in the morning 30 min before your adderall and that will probably have a good effect. Also don't forget to eat food is what fuels your adderall. The fact that you don't eat in the morning is a likely.culprit in this situation. Eat an hour it two after your dose... the medicine needs fuel.

Kyle.lgk
01-20-12, 04:08 PM
I take Adderall normal release 20Mg in the morning and 20Mg in the afternoon. The first dose I normally take around 10AM and the second around 3PM. The first dose never really does a lot for me. Is this from the tolerance? Should I up the dosage to 25Mg in the morning and 20Mg in the afternoon or stop taking it for a while or what? I hate being stuck in between a rock and a hard place like this. I'm either building up a tolerance or I can't focus for ****. Any tips? Thank you.

As someone who only takes adderall once a week, I always feel it more on the 2nd dose. I've always attributed it to a build up of the drug, the 2nd dose being stacked on the first.

I think Urgezz is onto something. The first dose probably normalizes you and the 2nd dose gives you that euphoric feeling. Maybe we shouldn't be chasing that feeling that makes us superhuman, but rather just seek to normalize. I think adderall is prescribed at unnecessarily high dosages because people want that coked out feeling.

gamer6592
01-22-12, 02:38 AM
@chops: Good idea with the tums. I'll definitely try this. It sounds like food and water will dissolve/soak up the pill. Am I wrong? Plus I'm not as bad after two hours of taking the pill (still not as bad as the first two hours but I'm not REALLY still struggling after two hours so Idk how much eating will help after 2 hours)

@kyle: I never said I wanted to be "coked out." I said I don't feel the medicine working much at all with the first dose.

Kyle.lgk
01-22-12, 01:45 PM
I just took a 10mg with a tums. Not something I would make a regular habit, as antacid can be damaging over time. Better to eat alkaline-forming foods. It's so confusing because it seems like foods that are acidic, become alkaline forming in the body and vice versa. So acidic fruits would seem like the ideal choice.

siglerja
01-22-12, 05:05 PM
Pro Tip: If you wake up about an hour before you have to get up, take a couple antaids and then take your Adderall dose, lay back down and sleep on your LEFT side, you'll increase absorbtion of your morning dose as it will find its way into your esophagus easier. Try not to eat and then take your dose, but don't take it on a grouchy, acidic stomach either. I find that Rolaids help keep my effects linear, whereas I had a lot of variance due to my hoooooorrible diet and acid reflux prior.

Kyle.lgk
02-01-12, 07:58 PM
(wrong thread)

Fraser_0762
02-01-12, 08:00 PM
People often make the mistake of thinking that they're building a tolerance to the stimulants because they're no longer experiencing the euphoria that comes with it to begin with.

As long as they're still allowing you to stay on task for longer periods of time and have less chatter going on up stair, then they're still doing exactly what they're supposed to do.

ADDmeIn
02-01-12, 10:38 PM
I agree with Trishcan...I experience the same thing.