View Full Version : Best med : walking !

Gilthranon
01-16-12, 03:05 PM
I'm gonna keep it short, tired.

I felt exhausted, my nights are uninterruptedly interrupted. I felt energy less, thinking in circles and what's-the-point.
I went for a (ADHD speed) walk, 45 min. Trance music in the ears. My mind started filtering thoughts. The depressed ones slowly faded away and made space for coping techniques. Once back home - I was no longer acting unreasonable to others.
Way back home I crossed this small natural decoration shop. Beautiful. It gave great ideas. I so much wish I could build beautiful decorations entirely made out of found nature. Idealist, I am :D

Better than meds ! I actually felt how my thoughts were filtered. Known fact btw - how frontal global needs stimulation to live. Physical training provides this.

Saboit
01-16-12, 03:09 PM
Just say it is good, everyone would know that by experience.

It helped me too, but it was ephemeral.

tipoo
01-16-12, 04:10 PM
My problem with walking as a temporary cure is that I never stop walking. Its always "Ten minutes more before I'm ready to stop".

Mindman
01-16-12, 04:27 PM
Exercise is a coping mechanism I have used my entire life to deal with ADHD. It's too bad my skills keep me into desk jobs.

Gilthranon
01-17-12, 04:51 AM
Exercise is a coping mechanism I have used my entire life to deal with ADHD. It's too bad my skills keep me into desk jobs.
I know the feeling. I'm a graphist... or studying at least. What's your job ?

pechemignonne
01-17-12, 06:51 AM
Walking is not a medication.

I know that your title is facetious, but still.

Meds are meds. Walking is exercise, which is a great supplement to medication.

That's good, but without meds I can't walk (even with music in my ears) because I get mentally bored.

Also, I can't motivate myself to walk regularly when I'm not on medication.

So, yay walking and everything, but medication is the best medication.

buddy
01-17-12, 07:21 PM
Walking is an excellent exercise which then seems to help my ADHD but it's still not the same as being medicated.I walk everyday & it certainly helps my mood but in my opinion there is nothing that can take the place of the right medication.

Rebelyell
01-17-12, 07:31 PM
i thought it was running my mouth:D teehheee I use to like riding a bike but my heel spurs killed it for me

Steven_Tyler77
01-17-12, 08:51 PM
I cannot ever get myself to exercise daily because of my ADD (yes, I simply forget about it or postpone it or procrastinate until it's too late). When I do exercise though, I don't know whether it helps with the ADD...

Walking is however a different issue. I enjoy taking walks outdoors, but I also resort to a pretty weird habit: I walk up and down my room at a very fast pace for cca. 10 minutes, while listening to music. It helps me wake up in the morning. It helps me clear my mind when I have to study. It helps me enter a different state of mind and focus on the novel I write (I tend to have lots and lots of ideas when doing this). It also helps me relax when I'm very stressed and I can't focus on anything anymore. I'm quite embarrassed about it and never do it in front of other people, but still it helps me tremendously to do it from time to time during the course of the day. I could do it outdoors, but it's a different thing (indoors, I don't have to care about any external factors/dangers/distractions, so I can get deeply in touch with myself). I feel more relaxed after 10 minutes of walking at a fast pace than after 10 minutes of laying on a couch...

Pumbaa
01-25-12, 03:58 AM
I am wondering how much walking is enough and how fast do you have to walk?

I walk every week day; probably more than an hour because I walk to the train and then walk to my job. I am not walking fast though as I am fat and slow. :) well not real slow but average

mjoy79
01-26-12, 03:54 PM
I'm looking forward to having the motivation to walk. I can't even force myself to go at this point. I think about it but then get distracted with other things and then make excuses - or think going to bed is the best way to tune everything out.

spunkysmum
01-26-12, 08:22 PM
I'm looking forward to having the motivation to walk. I can't even force myself to go at this point. I think about it but then get distracted with other things and then make excuses - or think going to bed is the best way to tune everything out.

I'm having the same issues. The good thing is that, once I get started doing it every day, the habit becomes as hard to break as a bad habit. It's compulsive. Even if I tell myself I deserve a day off, I can't rest until I've gone and worked out anyway.

mjoy79
01-26-12, 08:39 PM
There was a time - a few years ago that I exercised so regularly. And I lost a lot of weight. I think the fact that I had just been divorced was a big part of my motivation. Ever since then I have gained the weight back and then some. I've tried diets and walking on and off but I think the (possible) ADD has a lot to do with not sticking with it and making it a habit/lifestyle. I have a dr appt next week and truly hoping to start the process of testing and getting diagnosed and maybe getting on proper medication.... but thats another subject I suppose.