View Full Version : British Columbians: do you know about Plan G?

cameron90
01-19-12, 02:18 AM
I just want to make sure that everybody in the community knows about this. As a student, it has been very helpful for me. In British Columbia, there is a program called Plan G, and I'm not sure about the other provinces, but it would be worthwhile looking into. When I was in Canada, I did not have to pay for any psychiatric medication, including ADHD meds.

From BC Ministry of Heath, Pharmacare website:

No-Charge Psychiatric Medication Plan (Plan G)

The No-Charge Psychiatric Medication Plan (Plan G) is available to individuals of any age who are registered with a mental health services centre and who demonstrate clinical and financial need. The plan provides coverage of certain psychiatric medications.

Individual patient eligibility is determined by the patient's physician and the local mental health services centre. Registration is required.

The drugs eligible for coverage under the No-Charge Psychiatric Medication Plan are listed in the Plan G Formulary by both brand and generic name. Drugs in the formulary identified as "Limited Coverage" require prior Special Authority approval from PharmaCare. For these medications, a patient's physician must submit a Special Authority Request to PharmaCare.

For more information on the plan, contact your local mental health service centre, listed in the telephone directory's blue pages under "Health Authorities" or, in Vancouver and Richmond, contact Vancouver Coastal Health. Physicians' offices can download the Application for Psychiatric Medication Coverage (HLTH 3497) (PDF 534K) or request pre-printed copies from the local mental health services centre.