View Full Version : I'm new here. Hi.

tombstone3
01-19-12, 01:12 PM
Hi,

I have adult ADHD. I was diagnosed in late 2008 when I was 35 years old. Even the most smooth/gentle medicine I was prescribed (Vyvanse), gave me issues with appetite and nervousness. After a few weeks of use, I have to go off the medication for a few days and sleep/recover because it just seems to suck every last ounce of energy out of my body.

I also stay active, having this condition makes it pretty easy to do that. I have been off meds for a few months now. Things are holding together ok for now. I don't like to take the Vyvanse (or any other stimulant, I just end up feeling grounded and tired). When taking a new supplement stack this week for athletic recovery, I got some really, really good effect and focus that I believe is helping my ADHD.

I started drinking 15g of L-Arginine (NOW Foods, tastes AWFUL), along with DMAE & B5 supplement, this week. I have noticed an enhanced focus very close to the level of Vyvanse, yet absolutely no crashes at the end of the day and I feel like I have mental endurance left to do everything for the rest of the night without feeling useless and beat.

I went online to search for this and found some people are using DMAE for mental focus, but I also think the Arginine's enhanced oxygen usage (thru releasing nitric oxide) is also a synergistic part of this along with vitamin B5 which is supposed to empower the body to use the choline produced from the DMAE.

In my online search, many people on forums have said the ADHD meds like Adderall are much more powerful in enhancing focus. But for me, personally, I've found this combination gives me focus very near what the prescription drugs give, but doesn't give any of the unpleasant side effects like nervousness, shaking hands, daily evening fatigue and bi-weekly exhaustion.

Now, I still have to test this supplement stack out further, but if the worst thing to endure is an ultra-awful tasting morning drink once a day, this thing just might work out for me.

I was so excited that I thought I would sign up on here and share what I've found. I figure people might have already found these types of supplements help. I don't think it's for everyone. If I could tolerate the side effects better on the prescription meds then I wouldn't bother as the Arginine tastes horrible. I just thought I'd throw this out there for someone that was maybe looking for a way to avoid side effects yet still get some kind of help.

Since I'm an adult, it may work for me, but I have my doubts this would be as effective with kids and teens.

Are there other possibilities out there besides what I've stumbled onto?

sarahsweets
01-20-12, 11:44 AM
Medications are usually first line treatment for adhd. What other medications have you tried?

cameron90
01-20-12, 11:56 AM
ADHD can vary in severity, and be affected by many other factors such as mental or physical health. People also tolerate medications very differently. A high dose for one person can be ineffective for another. If you're able to manage without medication, that's a good thing as you won't have to deal with prescriptions, side effects, carrying around controlled substances, etc. I'm happy to hear that you've found something that has helped you (despite the taste).