View Full Version : Wellbutrin Is a Bully: How Did Wellbutrin Knock Out Dexedrine?

m.pilar
01-20-12, 12:28 AM
I was pretty content. Dexedrine alone manages my ADD throughout the spring and fall. Seasonal depression makes it less effective, so my psych recommended adding Zoloft. So, so sleepy. Lots of side effects and I didn't like the way it created the benefits. Switched to Wellbutrin. After three days, my Dexedrine stopped working. I mean entirely.

Wellbutrin's net effect is fatigue, lack of concentration, trouble focusing. I literally feel no difference between 0mg and 45mg.

We thought Wellbutrin would be great - I need 'activating', not 'sedating'. Adding a DRI/NRI to Dexedrine should potentiate both of them, right?

That was my doctor's logic. And on a basic level, it makes sense. It clearly works for some people. Not me.

Theory 1: Scarletta has said that the inhibition of DAT by Wellbutrin would prevent amphetamines from exerting their relatively more potent action. She included that amphetamines are primarily DRIs at low/therapeutic doses but my understanding is that they reverse the direction of DAT. I know I sound like I'm splitting hairs since reversing the transporter means you're inhibiting reuptake, but I'm curious as to how Wellbutrin does it.

If amphetamines reverse DAT and Wellbutrin works by immobilizing the transporters (or otherwise affects the reversal negatively) then that makes sense - Wellbutrin locks amphetamines out.

Theory 2:Amphetamines also increase dopamine concentrations in the cytosol of pre-synaptic vesicles. So when our behavior/environment triggers release, we release more into the synapse?

This leads to generalizations that our bodies downregulate DA production/release as a result of elevated average synaptic concentrations via Wellbutrin. Could it be tolerance?

Finally, Wellbutrin inhibits 2D6! Shouldn't this shift the whole AUC up?

markadd
01-21-12, 11:49 AM
I'm on this combo too. Don't know the exact science to Wellbutrin but I do know that three days is not long enough to judge the med. Takes a couple weeks to really get it going and doing its thing so give it some time.

The med will change... you won't have to worry about being sleepy on Wellbutrin trust me:)

It reduces Dexidrines effectiveness a little bit but seems to make it last little longer and is great for the evenings when the Dex wears off... no crash. So for me it evens things out.

electric76
01-23-12, 04:04 AM
I took Wellbutrin first for a year and a half. I had Adderall added in a year into the prescription. I had to take Adderall at a high dose since it seemed it wasn't working otherwise. Now that I have quit the Wellbutrin, I only need HALF the Adderall and feel BETTER! It's crazy. I think there is something wrong with this combo. It can work for some, but I think it needs to be one or the other. Wellbutrin by itself is very effective for the first six months or so I think.

hollywood
01-23-12, 12:13 PM
Yeah I agree with you man. Since I've been taking wellbutrin first I started doing the 150xl and then I jumped up to 300xl . I noticed a huge decrease in being all over the place since it gives a buffer for all day long coverage. So for that I guess it helps alot, yet I've already been a high dose responder and metabolize fast and yes I've had to increase my dose even more since being on wellbutrin. I think I"m going to stop for sure. I just know that I will be a bit tired and groggy for 3-5 days while stopping. I definitely look forward to having my stimulant work and provide me with better focus when I stop. Over all it's just not worth it to me personally . At that point I'll be on prozac and concerta and I don't feel prozac eliminates my stimulant from being a stimulant the same way wellbutrin does. Wellbutrin helps for certain , but overall it's probably not worth it since it depletes depth of focus. I also don't really feel fun and creative anymore.

You know it's strange , you would think wellbutrin would help the stimulant effect. I certainly have found it to decrease the productive aspects of taking my stimulants for doing stuff like studying. I really cannot wait to be able to process more in depth when I diss wellbutrin. I know that I eat alot more off it which is cool and fun. I am fit so I don't need to lose any weight .

hollywood
01-23-12, 12:35 PM
yeah , noted. Wellbutrin takes far more than a week do to it's thing. It will extend duration of effect. Additionally, it does to decrease it's peak effects and stimulant depth of focus. For those reasons I do wonder the combo is worth while.

m.pilar
01-24-12, 07:08 PM
I do know that three days is not long enough to judge the med.

I wholeheartedly agree. What I was trying to convey is that in that short amount of time, Wellbutrin already stifled Dexedrine. I'm just rounding the one month mark now but I'm trying to keep an open mind until we're well past what should be the turning point.

I took Wellbutrin first for a year and a half. I had Adderall added in a year into the prescription. I had to take Adderall at a high dose since it seemed it wasn't working otherwise. Now that I have quit the Wellbutrin, I only need HALF the Adderall and feel BETTER! It's crazy. I think there is something wrong with this combo. It can work for some, but I think it needs to be one or the other. Wellbutrin by itself is very effective for the first six months or so I think.

Hmh. Your experience echos more than a few people's. This may be an option, if only until I get a fair understanding of how Wellbutrin works for me.

Yeah I agree with you man. Since I've been taking wellbutrin first I started doing the 150xl and then I jumped up to 300xl . I noticed a huge decrease in being all over the place since it gives a buffer for all day long coverage. So for that I guess it helps alot, yet I've already been a high dose responder and metabolize fast and yes I've had to increase my dose even more since being on wellbutrin. I think I"m going to stop for sure. I just know that I will be a bit tired and groggy for 3-5 days while stopping. I definitely look forward to having my stimulant work and provide me with better focus when I stop. Over all it's just not worth it to me personally . At that point I'll be on prozac and concerta and I don't feel prozac eliminates my stimulant from being a stimulant the same way wellbutrin does. Wellbutrin helps for certain , but overall it's probably not worth it since it depletes depth of focus. I also don't really feel fun and creative anymore.

You know it's strange , you would think wellbutrin would help the stimulant effect. I certainly have found it to decrease the productive aspects of taking my stimulants for doing stuff like studying. I really cannot wait to be able to process more in depth when I diss wellbutrin. I know that I eat alot more off it which is cool and fun. I am fit so I don't need to lose any weight .

More signs pointing to me needing to increase the Dex. I had the same experience going from 150 to 300. Well, for whatever reason, (2) 150's seemed no different. I filled the prescription for 300's and I noticed something. I forget what the 300's are (don't have the bottle) but the 150's were Barr.. which we all know about.

I noticed a lack of creativity too. I paint, usually very enthusiastically but lately it's just been 'ok, I'll try to finish this one..' I do despise winter for the rut it tries to leave me in but it's not so bad that this could be 'worse before it gets better' ie. the depression 'lifting'. Just not a medication that works for me.

Without going into detail, there's tangible reasons to believe that an SSRI will interfere less than this NDRI.

Oh, and the same amount of coffee makes my heart pound out of my chest on Wellbutrin. We also switched to Ritalin in hopes of gaining some focus and I felt inexplicably nauseous and had persistent tightness in my chest - something I've never experienced before.

hollywood
01-25-12, 09:46 AM
I didn't look how long you have been on the drug, no doubt it helps some symptoms of depression and feeling overall that down feeling about stuff you do or don't do. What I have noticed is those symptoms "feeling" and "emotion" and it makes sense that a big carryover is thought. Well, I miss them. I miss the humanity. Oh, and when things happen to you which are not in your favor and actually are not just circumstance but actually life events that people or groups or your work etc.... are ******* you off , well forgetting about it wont do you much good. Secondly, I sure can't wait for my stimulant to act more like itself.

Darken
02-04-12, 12:13 PM
Nice post Hollywood...I think that's what I am struggling with ATM trying to find my humanity as opposed to living life like a robot...

As for the Wellbutrin well I think some others posts here speak for themselves...there is logical reason to believe that Wellbutrin and a stimulant may compliment each other very well. The reality though seems to be that Wellbutrin may largely prevent the stimulant from being effective at all....I think this would be more true with straight Dex as that is going after strictly dopamine. I've tried the Adderall IR and Wellbutrin XL combo myself....I even staggered the dosing taking the Welly later so as not to totally interfere with the adderall....the end result was taking the Adderall alone was more effective then both.

This is just for me of course and it was depression because yes my focus and ability to complete tasks is much better...but I get no satisfaction from it.

As your title says Wellbutrin wins the battle over stimulants....every time.

hollywood
02-24-12, 09:56 AM
Well, I think alot of turn to wellbutrin for alot of reasons. The most obvious reason is that it provides you the drive to do things that are well lets face it the most boring annoying chorous stupid tasks everyday. Hey, when you do brainless things on a daily basis and you don't ever get to put your creative edge on things, well I think tension builds and builds to a point where you just cannot take it anymore. At that point forget about it your done. You've essentially mentally quit and then your mind drifts. A good spot to find depression and anxiety I might add. Why? Simple. You feel remorse and want to do well, but your just bored to ever living death. Yes. Wellbutrin eradicates this like a tornado hitting a trailer park. Your ability to really express yourself goes blank and your ability to stay on point and edgy increases. Your ability for memory recally is definitely messed up and its not a normal feeling . You basically feel like a sex crazed doofus.

Note this , retaining information is nearly impossible while taking wellbutrin , it's just difficult so in that sense it's kicking your stimulants butt like Mike tyson in the 80's ( none of that ear munching crap). If you want to screw up your lower lips and can't focus on dumb stuff I suggest you ante up and go to the gas station and buy some smokeless tobaccol ( coppenhagen) whatever I don't dip and buy a jolt cola and take your stimulant. Then you will be able to focus.

Anyways , I should start an adhd vent blog that feeds like a newspaper. Why? Because I blog mad crazy and yes I'm good at venting my frustrations I definitely have a artistic slant . Even if it's a little jumbled.

Lastly, and I'll leave you with this. For some reason after wellbutrin gets done slapping your stimulant around after years of consistent use I've noticed that after about 12-14 hours ( just around 10:30pm ) your mind is free. You feel great.

Ha... Wellbutrin, I guess your not too much different than those pesky ssri's are you now. You guys play the same games. Too shay . If only I was better at regulating my emotions.

We all know I'm not depressed, a true anxious person or any other pretend ailments that all of here with adhd moonlight to be on a daily basis. I guess it turns out that we were all just really bored!

purpleToes
04-05-12, 05:00 AM
I'm not sure if Wellbutrin is the reason Dexedrine Spansule has not been working consistently for me.

I am sure it's not tolerance, because the problem began immediately following a more than 2 months break from it, and all caffeine, due to pregnancy. My doctor at the time said not to worry, that it was probably just due to my system being all out of whack because of the pregnancy and miscarriage (hormones, depression, etc.) She assured me it would return to working normally after not too long.

Previously the Dexedrine had worked very well for me - almost perfectly, I'd say. Now, it was barely doing anything most days.

Wellbutrin was added. I hoped that it would have the "activating" effect and lift my mood. I have noticed a mood difference - I am calmer, less irritated by things that normally annoy me a lot - but no more energy than before. In fact I think it's worse. I'm still getting more effect with Dexedrine + caffeine than I used to with caffeine alone.

I wondered if Wellbutrin might be cancelling out the Dexedrine, but I am fairly certain the problem began before I started the Wellbutrin.

The other thing I'm considering is whether chronically poor sleep quality could be to blame. I have a diagnosed sleep breathing disorder (similar to sleep apnea), which I suspect has been getting worse lately. I had a sleep study last week and expect the results in a few more days.

I would be disappointed to have to discontinue the Wellbutrin because I like how it has made me much more easygoing, but missing out on the benefits of my stimulant medication is much worse. I can't see my psychiatrist about it until I get back nto town later this month.

hollywood
04-06-12, 03:17 PM
it's either that or depression for me. I don't know, I think it may be the wellbutrin. I can increase the dose of wellbutrin back to 300xl and add in an ssri and my mood gets better and adhd gets worse. It seems I need more stimulant while taking wellbutrin, I think it interferes with cognition and working memory which is why it makes us feel a bit off. It's not just you and I stating that either, it's alot of people.

Spacemaster
04-06-12, 07:24 PM
On Wellbutrin, I was too busy feeling like crying my eyes out or was in a blind rage, too much to notice any effects on AD/HD. I stopped it in about 4 days.

m.pilar
04-07-12, 01:24 PM
It seems I need more stimulant while taking wellbutrin, I think it interferes with cognition and working memory which is why it makes us feel a bit off.

Interesting. And ADHD medications improve [some] facets of memory? Do you remember where you read that (or how I'd find more information)?

On Wellbutrin, I was too busy feeling like crying my eyes out or was in a blind rage, too much to notice any effects on AD/HD. I stopped it in about 4 days.

For what it's worth, that was my experience, substituting crying for an insatiable need to be doing eight things at once. Still, both result in dysphoria. These side effects disappeared in a week or so for me.

purpleToes
04-07-12, 06:39 PM
My psychiatrist gave me the OK to d/c Wellbutrin for a few days to see if the Dexedrine would start working again. He said no, he has not had a patient before for whom Wellbutrin caused Dexedrine not to work.

I've only skipped this morning's dose (150 SR) and already I'm feeling increased anxiety, frustration and tearfulness. I'm skeptical that missing a single dose by only a few hours could cause this (also, my boyfriend is behaving badly this last few days which has been increasing my stress), but it makes me worried about decreasing the Wellbutrin too quickly.

I took my regular dose of Dexedrine this morning expecting it to now work, based on reading on these forums that Wellbutrin uses up or inhibits some enzyme needed for dextroamphetamine to work. But today I'm just as sleepy and foggy as ever. Dexedrine still doing NOTHING.

I think today I'll just wait til evening to take my nighttime 150 SR, to see if being off Wellbutrin for closer to a full day lets my PM dose of Dexdrine work. I also want to find out if there's a threshold of Wellbutrin I can take at which Dexedrine will work, so tomorrow I plan to switch to 100 IR twice a day, then 150SR once a day, then 100IR once a day, to zero.

The main reason I started taking Wellbutrin was for its interesting property of reducing a cytokine called Tumor Necrosis Factor (TNF-alpha), which when elevated may play a role in recurrent miscarriage. Making this a bigger dilemma is the fact that according to last lab results I got back yesterday, Wellbutrin did in fact lower my TNF-a into completely normal range. Normally people are prescribed heavy duty (and unbelievably expensive) TNF-a inhibitors like Humira or Enbrel to achieve that. Between that and it improving my mood so much, I sure am going to miss Wellbutrin if it turns out I can't take it with Dexedrine.

I'm starting to really get down in the dumps about all this. I had just a taste of what normal felt like again last December and finally felt like I would be able to fix my huge mess of a life, then I had to discontinue for 2+ months due to pregnancy, then when the pregnancy failed, the consolation prize was that at least I could get back to fixing my life again, but the Dexedrine hasn't worked properly since.

So discouraged.

purpleToes
04-08-12, 06:40 PM
I felt better yesterday after taking a long nap, though my PM dose of Dexedrine didn't work any better than the AM dose. After doing some more internet research, I decided the risk was low of withdrawal symptoms from d/c'ing Wellbutrin cold turkey, even from 300mg a day, so I skipped my nighttime Wellbutrin as well. Apart from some mild anxiety and insomnia, so far, so good.

Today, I think the dex worked, or is starting to work. I felt much better normal physical and mental energy, without caffeine, for the first time in a long time. Still foggy, but less so than lately. It'll be interesting to see how the PM dose does, and tomorrow's. Soon, I'll be able to vote on the poll.

hollywood
04-08-12, 09:03 PM
Yeah I am in day two of no Wellbutrin , feel a little better

purpleToes
04-09-12, 03:33 PM
Yeah I am in day two of no Wellbutrin , feel a little better

Better, how? Free of negative effects of wellbutrin, or stimulant is now working?

hollywood
04-09-12, 03:36 PM
well honestly I don't know anymore. I've been on wellbutrin virtually since september fairly steady with some gaps inbetween. I am just so tired now and don't know why . I'm so tired in the mornings and so tired at work. Strange thing about it is that I"m not really tired on weekends when I don't work. I don't know what to do , I'm so sick of being so brain dead and tired.

purpleToes
04-10-12, 03:48 AM
My reponse to dextroamphetamine ER on my second full day off of Wellbutrin seemed pretty good, but today, my third day off Wellbutrin, dex didn't seem to break through the sleepy/foggy feeling much at all, although I did notice feeling extra sleepy right around the time I normally expect the dex to wear off, so maybe it was doing something after all.

Maybe discontinuing Wellbutrin is causing me to be even sleepier and groggier than usual.

hollywood
04-10-12, 09:29 AM
most likely, thats going to be my presumption . My conclusion is that wellbutrin is subtle but will prolong the effect and give you longer duration. After some time this can be both good and bad. Good because you will have longer focus but bad because it may eventually cut into your deep sl eep and it's possible to get tired over time and actually get some fatigue. I guess usually keeping the dose under the maxim is best for this and to take breaks.

m.pilar
05-04-15, 05:34 AM
I'm back. OP here: This time around, I'm not experiencing the same knockout effect. 15mg of Dexedrine feels like 10mg, maybe. Maybe even 12.5mg. Small, perceptible difference. Hoping this bump will get more people to vote and more people sharing their experiences. I'll update after I'm more than just a few days in (I should have mentioned that earlier) and see if my biopsychosocial chemistry has changed. edit: The irritating part is that we all want these two to synergize. Instead what I'm finding is Wellbutrin is just undercutting Dexedrine and causing people to needlessly increase their dose. (Although I'd be surprised to find many doctors saying sure, have more amphetamines because this amphetamine analogue seems to be blocking some of its effects. They're not exactly good for you long term.)

sarahsweets
05-04-15, 11:19 AM
As far as we know, they seem to be ok in the long term.

m.pilar
05-05-15, 02:59 AM

Thanks for that. I can empathize with all those OP who create threads </= a week in and are going crazy because they're edging on hypomanic or they're feeling relatively fatigued.
I'll try to stick with Wellbutrin for longer than a few months this time (I need it if I'm on Prozac - sexual side effects) and again, report back my findings.

In the meantime I'll ease of the Dexedrine seeing as there seems to be no use and can I get an amen if you've experienced an amphetamine-related drought or your doctor/pharmacy can't consistently fill your prescriptions on time?

A.men. I've waited several weeks at worst (doctor's fault) and months during the amphetamine shortage of.. '11? Late 2011? I forget - remember? - I'm not taking my Dexedrine ATM.

m.pilar
05-08-15, 10:38 PM
Bump in hopes of more replies (especially from those who had Dexedrine first, and have been on Wellbutrin for more than just a short week or two). Also, is the poll still open or does it close after a certain time?