View Full Version : Another explanation for ADHD meds "working"?

Deeds281
01-22-12, 03:59 AM
Hi,

I have recently begun to suspect that I may have undiagnosed ADHD. I am 19 years old and in my second year of college and I experience many of the symptoms and can relate to many of the posts in these forums and many experiences of my ADHD friends and family.

Recently, I have tried taking Adderall pills that have been prescribed to my sister and mom and the results have been very similar to the descriptions people on these forums have written about their experiences with their prescriptions. Basically I calm down mentally (I'm usually a calm guy externally, but my mind is frantic and muddled) and the symptoms that I have been attributing to my ADHD have gone away. I also don't relate to the descriptions by non-ADHD people who say they hyperfocus or feel somewhat "high". I basically feel more normal when I take the pills.

My question is: Is there another reason besides ADHD that I might have a similar experience with Adderall to that of an ADHD person?

trishcan
01-22-12, 04:18 AM
Obviously, not wise (or legal) to take medication prescribed to someone else. Given that your sister and your mother are both apparently diagnosed with ADHD, it seems like the odds are in your favor as far as... having it yourself.

But there is still the possibility that taking a therapeutic dose of a stimulant medication does what it does for a lot of people--ADHD or not--makes it easier to focus. Most people who take meds they're not prescribed take more than a single dose, which is potentially why they describe the symptoms you lack.

Clearly, the only way to know for certain is to get assessed for ADHD. I imagine you're planning to do that, soon?

Deeds281
01-22-12, 04:42 AM
Yes, I'm currently in the process of getting assessed; I have an appointment with a psychologist next week.

pechemignonne
01-22-12, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the effect of the pills- it's not a way to tell if ADHD is the right diagnosis.

If, for example, you have some other medical problem that causes trouble with focus, such as a thyroid problem, you would have the same reaction to stimulants.