View Full Version : Benzo tolerance: Has anyone changed medications with any success.

Abi
01-22-12, 03:36 PM
My Rx: Klonopin 1mg t.i.d.

Used to work like a charm (hell, 0.5 b.i.d. used to work), but does not anymore.

Will changing to say,

Ativan 2ng b.i.d. make a difference, i.e. an equivalent dose of a slightly different med?

cameron90
01-22-12, 04:01 PM
First of all, what are you taking the benzos for? Diagnoses? Because I can't really give any advice without knowing this. alprazolam (Xanax), diazepam (Valium), clonazepam (Klonopin) and lorazepam (Ativan) are the most commonly prescribed benzos I think. They each have different indications and differ in terms of half life and potency. Usually they're used as a short term solution for most conditions.

I have been taking clonazepam at increasing dosages for about 7 years. I have a pretty high tolerance, taking up to 6mg per day at one point. Over the last couple of years I have lowered my dosage to 2mg and now I am taking stimulants, I've been able to get down to 0.5-1mg a day. I think my high dose of clonazepam was making my depression worse and that my anxiety was mostly due to things pertaining to ADHD.

Abi
01-22-12, 04:14 PM
Diagnosis: Technically severe GAD going back to early childhood (tho' only diagnosed in early twenties).

Treatment History:

Mid 05 - Mid 06:----- 0.5mg b.i.d.

Mid 06 - End 07:----- Nil

Start 08 - End 10:---- 0.5 b.i.d.

Start 11 - Mid 11:----- 1mg b.i.d.

Mid 11 - Present:------ 1mg t.i.d

It also reduces my depression and propensity to go manic (I have bipolar-2)

cameron90
01-23-12, 02:56 AM
Benzodiazepines are generally very effective and safe. But it is usually something that you don't want to be taking long term. Prolonged use can actually cause depression and exacerbate existing depression.

Have you been on any other medications that were not effective or intolerable for whatever reason? I know that antidepressants can make BPD worse so that does limit the possibilities, although the older ones might be a possibility but then again, I don't think they would be better than benzodiazepines in terms of the side effect profile.

Pregabalin (Lyrica) has been approved in the European Union as a treatment for G.A.D., and it looks promising. I think it is something worthwhile looking into.

kingfish
01-30-12, 03:22 AM
I have been prescribed xanax, klonopin, ativan, restoril, and valium. From my experience, valium works the best for me. Xanax works great if you have major anxiety attacks that need to be dealt with quickly. Ativan seems to be similar. They will all make you drowsy but valium seems to give me the "smoothest" feeling. I don't feel impaired. It just helps me relax and deal with my social anxiety and anger issues. I take restoril for insomnia but it doesn't seem to put me to sleep quickly. Once I do fall asleep, it feel relaxed and peaceful. I don't feel as much of a hangover or fatigue in the morning as I did with klonopin, ambien and flexeril.