View Full Version : Does coffee help long term?

jman05
01-26-12, 08:58 PM
I am an inattentive and meds don't work that well for me anymore, so I just considered drinking coffee in the mornings to help me just a little. The one reservation I have is will I build a tolerance to coffee also? I know everyone does eventually, but will it get to the point where I will need to drink coffee just to be my "normal" ADD self? In other words, is drinking coffee pointless because I will need to drink it just to not be worse than before I drank the coffee? Sometimes people think the coffee is helping them, but it is just taking away their withdraw symptoms

Fraser_0762
01-26-12, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't recommend coffee as a long term treatment plan. If you want to go the caffeine route, i'd highly suggest that you go for pure caffeine supplements instead. That way you can be fairly confident that only caffeine is entering your system and you'll also be able to figure out and easily measure which dose works best for you.

I self medicate on caffeine suppliments. Unfortunatly for me, you can only buy them as 50mg tablets here, where as most countries will sell caffeine tablets for doses as high as 200.

The problem with caffeine is that I find that its not really pleasurable in high doses. I find that once you cross a certain line and find a dose that you would expect to be beneficial, you end up finding the negative side effects far out weighing the positive ones.

This is through my own personal experience though.

I take 500mgs each morning and a back up of 250 in the afternoon. (15 tablets..... yek!)

spunkysmum
01-26-12, 09:45 PM
I consider high doses of caffeinated drinks to be more risky and scary than a normal dose of stimulant meds.

Fraser_0762
01-26-12, 09:47 PM
I agree.

But I consider treating undiagnosed ADD with a large dose of caffeine less risky than a little touch of the magic dust.... :D

spunkysmum
01-26-12, 10:10 PM
From what I've heard, tolerance to coffee builds up rather quickly.

spunkysmum
01-26-12, 10:12 PM
I agree.

But I consider treating undiagnosed ADD with a large dose of caffeine less risky than a little touch of the magic dust.... :D

Definitely. And coffee really doesn't scare me all that much. It's the Monster/RedBull/etc type drinks that I hesitate to use much. And I worry about people who drink a lot of them, especially when they do it to take the place of sleep and other necessary things.

Fraser_0762
01-26-12, 10:21 PM
Definitely. And coffee really doesn't scare me all that much. It's the Monster/RedBull/etc type drinks that I hesitate to use much. And I worry about people who drink a lot of them, especially when they do it to take the place of sleep and other necessary things.

You're quite right. Tolerance does build up.

But even once tolerance does build up (on any stimulant) they are still equally as effective at helping you concentrate. I believe its just the initial Euphoria and "Honeymoon period" (as some call it) that eventually loses its effect. I could however be wrong though. Caffeines the only stimulant i've ever had any experience with.

I agree with you about the redbulls and other such energy drinks. Apart from caffeine, they're also high on "Taurine", "Sugar" and potentially most dangerious of all "Aspartame".

I used to think it was a safe bet drinking sugarfree redbull, until i realized just how dangerious Aspartame was dangerious to your health. Apparently you're just as well drinking pure mercury or eating lead! :eek:

I'm not a fan of coffee either. I often find the coffee makes my mind feel more cloudy. I'm not sure if this is down to side ingredients or not.

spunkysmum
01-26-12, 10:30 PM
You're quite right. Tolerance does build up.

But even once tolerance does build up (on any stimulant) they are still equally as effective at helping you concentrate. I believe its just the initial Euphoria and "Honeymoon period" (as some call it) that eventually loses its effect. I could however be wrong though. Caffeines the only stimulant i've ever had any experience with.

I agree with you about the redbulls and other such energy drinks. Apart from caffeine, they're also high on "Taurine", "Sugar" and potentially most dangerious of all "Aspartame".

I used to think it was a safe bet drinking sugarfree redbull, until i realized just how dangerious Aspartame was dangerious to your health. Apparently you're just as well drinking pure mercury or eating lead! :eek:

I'm not a fan of coffee either. I often find the coffee makes my mind feel more cloudy. I'm not sure if this is down to side ingredients or not.

Coffee seems to make me more jittery and nervous than stimulant meds do, if I drink it in large quantities. And I believe it takes longer to exit your system so can interfere with sleep more.

I don't think I'm very often in danger of overdosing on coffee, though, because lately I don't enjoy coffee enough to drink large quantities of it.

I can also say that when I was off my meds because I couldn't afford them, coffee kept me functioning at a minimum, but was certainly not a real substitute for meds.

Fraser_0762
01-26-12, 10:36 PM
Coffee seems to make me more jittery and nervous than stimulant meds do, if I drink it in large quantities. And I believe it takes longer to exit your system so can interfere with sleep more.

I don't think I'm very often in danger of overdosing on coffee, though, because lately I don't enjoy coffee enough to drink large quantities of it.

I can also say that when I was off my meds because I couldn't afford them, coffee kept me functioning at a minimum, but was certainly not a real substitute for meds.

I reckon it would probably be a lot harder for caffeine to have a much noticible effect after being on prescription stimulants for a fair amount of time.

But I believe if you've never been on anything stronger than caffeine itself, it does the job "ok". But only "ok" and no more.

I'd much rather get diagnosed, but the national health service here still holds a shadowed belief that only children can have ADHD and that you must show symptoms of severe hyperactivity in order to meet the "criteria". <_<

Even although every online test that i've ever done flags me up as severely inattentive.

Perhaps next time i'm able to get an appointment with a phycologist here, i'll run around like a complete nut and hope for the best lol. :)

fracturedstory
01-26-12, 10:54 PM
I don't think coffee will have the same effect long term in what Ritalin does, and even that doesn't seem like enough some days.

I've been off coffee for almost 2 years. I forgot what was so addictive about it. I stopped because it made me jittery and sort of shut me down if I was on medication.

Here's hoping things change in your country soon. Maybe when the DSM 5 is released. I hear they will be adding SCT to it. Although, you'll have to wait a whole year until that happens.

known_guy
01-26-12, 11:41 PM
I'm not a coffee drinker. I do enjoy tea though!
I think taking ADD medication has a better pros:cons ratio than drinking coffee.

JOHNCG
01-27-12, 12:11 AM
A lot of people post questions about using coffee ( caffeine ) to treat ADHD on this forum.

Here's the facts...

The drug in coffee is caffeine and compared to amphetamine-type compounds or drugs like Ritalin that are prescribed for ADHD, it is only a weak stimulant.

Think about it like this...If ADHD is like a fire you want to put out that's burning in your fireplace at home, bone fide ADHD stimulants like Adderal and Methylphenidate are like a bucket of water thrown onto the fire, while caffeine would be like throwing just a teacup of water on it. That is, the caffeine would put a little bit of the fire out, but not much; it would still keep burning.

And taking lots of caffeine (i.e; drinking lots of coffee or swallowing lots of the caffeine pills you can buy in a pharmacy) doesn't make it work better as a stimulant. You could drink ten cups of strong black coffee and it still wouldn't give you anything like the stimulant effect of one 5mg Ritalin tablet or one capsule of Adderal.

Taking lots of caffeine is a bad idea, anyway. If you do take lots of it on a regular daily basis it can cause nausea/gastric irritation, disturbed sleep, "attacks" of acute anxiety, heart palpitations and even hallucinations.:eek:

In summary, caffeine - used short-term or long-term - doesn't have any substantial effect in reducing the symptoms of ADHD; if you're using it to try and do that, you're wasting your time.

Regards,

J