View Full Version : 5-htp

-Nick-
01-27-12, 12:10 PM
Probably the wrong part of the forum.

Anybody have any experience with this "supplement"? I put that in quotation marks because, in my experience, it's a full on drug.

Thought it might be good to get a discussion going on its possible therapeutic value in ADHD. Rather than scientific studies, though (of which there are few), I was hoping to hear about any personal experiences you might have with it, for any use.

Nick

cameron90
01-27-12, 12:53 PM
I have bought some but after doing some research, I decided not to risk taking it because I was on an SSRI at the time. I've read accounts on the internet where people have said they take it for depression or anxiety and swear by it.

You said that it was like a full-on drug. What is your experience with it and how did it make you feel?

Fraser_0762
01-27-12, 12:55 PM
How easy is it to find this stuff in the UK? Just read a bit about it on Wiki and it sounds quite promising.

-Nick-
01-27-12, 01:19 PM
I'll post more later, but for now...

DEFINITELY DON'T TAKE IT WITH AN SSRI

Please!

Could genuinely be lethal!

String
01-27-12, 03:17 PM
I took 5-htp along with fish oil for a week or two at a time when I wasn't taking any ADHD medications.

It definitely seems to provide some sort of a mood booster. I don't think it help me at all with ADHD symptoms but, again, it made me feel a little weird. I stopped taking it because I didn't feel that I needed a anti-depressant.

dsvlil1
01-27-12, 03:38 PM
I've been pretty curious about this stuff also. Reactions seem to be mixed, some people are pretty sensitive to it and others have to take whopping amount for any effect but since it's only a precursor amine to serotonin what effect people get is largely at the mercy of their own body's individual homeostasis as far as I can tell.

It's also worth noting that how your take the stuff alters how it is utilized by your body. Sure there's serotonin in your brain but there's even more found in your gut, and taking it is no gaurantee that it will make it to your brain.

Fraser_0762
01-27-12, 03:57 PM
I've been pretty curious about this stuff also. Reactions seem to be mixed, some people are pretty sensitive to it and others have to take whopping amount for any effect but since it's only a precursor amine to serotonin what effect people get is largely at the mercy of their own body's individual homeostasis as far as I can tell.

It's also worth noting that how your take the stuff alters how it is utilized by your body. Sure there's serotonin in your brain but there's even more found in your gut, and taking it is no gaurantee that it will make it to your brain.

From what i've heard, it bypasses the blood brain barrier, even when it is consumed orally, in the same way that stimulants do.

dsvlil1
01-27-12, 06:12 PM
The brain makes serotonin from 5 htp independant of the digestive system which has it's own uses for serotonin. Serotonin must be manufactured in the brain for the brain to utilise it. About 90% of the body's serotonin is found in the gut.

It's annoyingly difficult to find reputable information about 5 htp, but it would appear that vitamin B5 promotes the conversion of 5 htp into serotonin before it hits the blood brain barrier which makes it useless to the brain.

-Nick-
01-28-12, 04:36 AM
I suppose all I can say is that is has a very real and very noticeable effect on me. I reviewed it on Amazon, so I'll include my review here:

"I'm willing to accept that using 5-HTP only works for some people. This could quite reasonably be the case, given the scope for diversity in each individual's physiology (genetic polymorphisms, varying levels of the various enzymes involved in the manufacture of serotonin, etc.).

I'm only pointing this out because I have seen reviews on the internet where people swear 5-HTP doesn't work. The fact is, for me, it has an EXTREMELY pronounced effect - mydriasis, increased libido, not to mention the mood alteration. That sure as hell isn't down to the placebo effect.

I guess the take home message here is these tablets, and 5-HTP "supplements" in general, are NOT to be taken lightly! An accidental overdose has the potential to put you in hospital or even kill you, and if you are on ANY psychiatric medications then please, steer well clear until you've consulted your GP. SSRIs in particular can easily be fatal in combination with 5-HTP due to an extended 'overdose' of serotonin. Side note: If you're sweating a lot more than normal, you have probably taken too much.

That aside, these tablets gave me an almost instantaneous lift out of SAD/atypical depression and I can't emphasise enough how grateful I am for that. They might even be too strong for some people - I'd recommend just one tablet, at around 7pm, to minimise the risk of any possible side effects interfering with your day/night. I may actually have to purchase some 50mg tablets in order to spread this dose out.

In summary: Definitely worth a try. Be careful. Be sensible!"

I could say more... but I think that sums up my thoughts!

lookoutRAC
01-31-12, 02:48 AM
5-htp is definitely not a drug.

I'll admit that I found 5-htp while doing drugs. 5-htp is naturally occuring in the body as the precursor to serotonin. After a rave or something I'd take 5-htp to prevent the depression caused by my serotonin regulators being downregulated. In a sense, it pops the regulators back into action and keeps the serotonin flowing.

But now I take it just as a supplement. I take it for depression, which runs in my family. It definitely gives me a mood boost, but it also helps regulate my sleep cycle. But I think you're only supposed to take it for a few months at a time if you're taking it every day. I just take it if I'm feeling a little down. I think many people who suffer from depression will say those days just happen sometimes. 5-htp helps with that. Does it help with my ADHD? Well, I think I procrastinate more on those days I'm feeling a little off, so I guess you could say it does by preventing that.

-Nick-
02-03-12, 06:20 AM
I said drug, not narcotic.

-Nick-
02-03-12, 08:05 AM
I'd take 5-htp to prevent the depression caused by my serotonin regulators being downregulated. In a sense, it pops the regulators back into action and keeps the serotonin flowing.

Also, as a graduate of Pharmacology, can I please point out that this is scientific gibberish! The best 5-HTP can do is replenish your serotonin levels.

bizarre101
02-03-12, 08:08 AM
When I told the doctor I would not want to continue Ritalin, as it didn't help (concentration) and only had negative side effects, he suggested I should try an Anti-Depressant with it (could have been Celex), as he thought I might be anxious.
I can't see this, but I agreed, as there is no much other option.
However, when picking up my medication, I only got Ritalin.

I googled anti-depressant, and guess what...

A study (Krause et all) showed, that ALL non-responders to Methylphendiat (Ritalin) and Atomexetin (Strattera) had a significant Serotonine imbalance (to me unclear whether too high or too low).
This leads to 5-HTP, which raises serotonine level.

I had two attempts on Ritalin (15 mg daily), and each after 4 or 5 days I felt so bad that I had to stop (very bad headache, space cadet).
During the 2nd attempt (space cadet) I took fish oil (1000 mg per day) and a multi vitamine.

However, when I woke up in the mornings, I felt very very good.
Totally rested, awake, undrugged, really good, and much a difference to "normal".

In the morning (daylight), serotonine activity increases.
Means, my non-response to Ritalin is quite likely because a too low serotonin level, which could be fixed by an anti-depressant or 5-htp.

(In the morning I would take 5 mg Ritalin and before noon things turn to the opposite and I would take another 5 mg, in the afternoon 5 mg and I am off to lala-land).

desulove
02-17-12, 11:16 PM
I'll post more later, but for now...

DEFINITELY DON'T TAKE IT WITH AN SSRI

Please!

Could genuinely be lethal!

YES! It's called serotonin syndrome.

.....and this could happen.

Cognitive effects: headache, agitation, hypomania, mental confusion, hallucinations, coma
Autonomic effects: shivering, sweating, hyperthermia, hypertension, tachycardia, nausea, diarrhea.
Somatic effects: myoclonus (muscle twitching), hyperreflexia (manifested by clonus), tremor.

Never mix MAOIs/Selegiline with anything really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin_syndrome

desulove
02-17-12, 11:24 PM
A study (Krause et all) showed, that ALL non-responders to Methylphendiat (Ritalin) and Atomexetin (Strattera) had a significant Serotonine imbalance (to me unclear whether too high or too low).
This leads to 5-HTP, which raises serotonine level.

I though it raised dopamine levels but I did a quick search seems it may also raise levels of serotonin in people with ADHD. So stay clear of 5-htp.

5-htp worries me as it likely will have a stacking effect where the effects may last weeks before levels can be balanced back out.

mnmat0
02-22-12, 03:12 PM
I'm considering taking this in addition to my daily Vyvanse. The Vyvanse has done wonders for my ADD, chronic fatigue, depression, sleep disorder (DSPS) and seasonal affective disorder but I believe it may also be making my anxiety significantly worse. It's also possible that the lack of all the other symptoms I was experiencing pre-Vyvanse just make the anxiety much more noticeable now that most everything else is out of the way. In any case, I'd really like to treat the anxiety since it's majorly interfering with my everyday life. My pdoc wants to put me on an SSRI but I've had such bad experiences with SSRIs in the past that I'm not crazy about going on another one, and I'm afraid it might just negate all the positive effects of the Vyvanse.

So I've done some research on my own and am considering taking 5-HTP instead. I haven't found a lot of info regarding people taking this in combination with Vyvanse or other stimulants so I'm not really sure what to expect. Has anyone here combined stimulant medications with 5-HTP before? Did it help at all with things like anxiety, racing thoughts, OCD-type tendencies and such?

Also, I've found very mixed results regarding Vyvanse's effects on Serotonin...some sites say it increases it, other sites say it depletes it, other sites says it has no action on it at all. So is there any real risk of serotonin syndrome with Vyvanse and 5-HTP?