View Full Version : Sleep problems are driving me crazy!

gatorADDe
01-27-12, 04:19 PM
I've never been what you'd call a morning person. In the morning I've always been slow to get out of bed, lethargic, in a brain fog, I ponder whether I should shower before i eat or visa versa, whether i should just snooze again and skip showering altogether, and I never quite feel confident about taking on a busy day once I get moving. I've been like this forever. Even as a little kid my mom would rush in my room in the mornings before school saying "why aren't you up yet!? you're going to miss the bus!" like everyday. I feel like there's never any amount of sleep that makes me wake up feeling "refreshed."

As a kid I usually never had problems falling asleep. But now in college i have insomnia BIG TIME. I think I worry too much about the next day because I'm stressed or something. I'm so tired all the time and the lack of sleep is driving me insane, like fight club-esque (for those of you that don't know what I mean i recommend u see the movie Fight Club because it's awesome). Is this common with ADHD and stress? I feel like my mind is too active at night to fall asleep.

SpaceSprocket
01-28-12, 04:59 AM
Same thing here...with both the sleep and the internal stress. Love Fight Club.

Turning off the swirling, laterally associative thoughts has always been a problem. When they are anxious thoughts they tend to feed on themselves and before I know it they have crescendoed into a full on impeding personal disaster...even if it started as something very small. Hard to fall asleep with adrenalin pumping and heart pounding.

Desire for perfection, FMS (Fear of Missing Something), and FFS (Fear of Forgetting Something) are often my culprits.

Wish I had a magic solution.

The only strategy I have been able to come up with to help myself is to first, consciously recognize that I have worked myself into a panic (not always easy) and then second, ask my mind to visualize what the situation would look and feel like if everything went smoothly without any problems. A sort of "visualize the positive instead of the negative" thing. I have found that remembering times in my past when I was very nervous about something and it turned out fine to be helpful. "If it turned out fine that time, then it can certainly work out fine this time" I have to remind myself.

I would love that the panicky thoughts never happened in the first place, but the imagination just seems to run wild.

GeordieDave
01-28-12, 05:08 AM
Yeah I think most of us have the same problem! Especially me! I am 22 and my mum has to wake me up and force me out of bed! It's pretty embarrassing. It's been bad lately as well for some strange reason. However like SpaceSprocket said, instead of thiking of the negative stuff try and think positive or something/someone to look forward to doing/seeing.

cameron90
01-28-12, 01:54 PM
Yeah I think most of us have the same problem! Especially me! I am 22 and my mum has to wake me up and force me out of bed! It's pretty embarrassing. It's been bad lately as well for some strange reason. However like SpaceSprocket said, instead of thiking of the negative stuff try and think positive or something/someone to look forward to doing/seeing.

I was impossible to get out of bed for a long time, caused and still causes a lot of stress for whoever feels responsible of getting me up and off to school, whether it's my mom or girlfriend. I find that stress and being depress tend to make this a lot worse and I have times when I wake up much to early for no reason.

Trying turning all stimuli off (it's hard) like computers, phones and electronics off and try to shut off your brain at least 30mins before you want to sleep. I find it helps.

avjgirsijdhtjhs
05-01-12, 04:58 PM
As a kid I usually never had problems falling asleep. But now in college i have insomnia BIG TIME. I think I worry too much about the next day because I'm stressed or something. I'm so tired all the time and the lack of sleep is driving me insane, like fight club-esque (for those of you that don't know what I mean i recommend u see the movie Fight Club because it's awesome). Is this common with ADHD and stress? I feel like my mind is too active at night to fall asleep.

Read about serotonin related depression on pages 121-123 (http://books.google.com/books?id=rkYee00HKAsC&pg=PA123&lpg=PA123&dq=endorphins+%22cry+easily%22+OR+%22crying+easily %22+OR+%22cry+too+easily%22+OR+%22crying+too+easil y%22&source=bl&ots=RYZERuREGQ&sig=rBq3kdkDyuOZzlI4zhlgvhXho0g&hl=en&sa=X&ei=cuOVT56eJoaH6QHaxoSXBA&ved=0CFAQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=endorphins%20%22cry%20easily%22%20OR%20%22crying %20easily%22%20OR%20%22cry%20too%20easily%22%20OR% 20%22crying%20too%20easily%22&f=false).

It starts off a little slow, but read all of this (http://www.drjoecarver.com/clients/49355/File/DEPRESSION%20-%20Causes,%20Symptoms,%20and%20Treatment.html).

Neurotransmitter related tests (http://www.gethelpfordepression.info/DepressionTests.aspx).

sarahsweets
05-01-12, 06:04 PM
Have you considered having a sleep study?